2018 W30 - 4 days early

littleg

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Yesterday was day 1.  I was going to start Jan 2 with my husband but got a head start!  I've been having issues with pain for a few months and I'm hoping to see some differences with less sugar and by going nightshade free (because an AIP plan seems undoable to me right now).  I was going to leave eggs out too - but then I'd probably starve or quit.  I've got a few goals for this W30 with the most important being to focus on nutrient density.  I've found a recipe for pate that I can stand (and have even come to enjoy!) and my goal is to eat ~1 oz of liver each day (I make ~1 lb at a time and freeze half, so a little more than an ounce per day), to eat heart when I can and to remember to take the collagen peptides.  I also really need to drink  MORE WATER and less seltzer.  I'm going to try to keep an eye on these goals and also to track my pain and inflammation.  Currently I've got 2 swollen knuckles :( My grandmother had bad RA and my mom passed away too early for her hands to get as bad as her moms, but I am only 40 and don't want useless hands if I can prevent it.  I'm also making an appointment with a rheumatologist to get some labs.  

I'm breastfeeding my one year old right now.  I think I'm far enough in that I don't need 4 meals a day though :)

Day 1:

Coffee with 2 scoops Vital Proteins gelatin and a scoop of coconut milk (I had an Mayan abdominal massage at 11 and didn't want a bolus of food in there).

3 eggs, lox, spinach, onions, haricot verts scramble with blob of mayo

Kombucha, few carrots with creamy vinaigrette and my ounce of liver while cooking.  Dinner was half a kabocha squash with coconut milk (solid), leftover beef stroganoff from MDA (no cream) and pan fried broccoli

Movement: 1.5 mile walk with baby on back, 20 min of my own made up yoga flow, not much else.  Below 0 with windchill here.  Hard to get outside with the little guy.

Water: meh, could have done better

Nutrient Density (ND): liver and peptides

Day 2: 

3 eggs, lox, spinach, zucchini (ack!  found a bag of 6 in the fridge I forgot about!), onions, blob of mayo, ounce of liver

M2 was 3 HB eggs, mayo (fridge is bare)

Snack - small bowl of leftover plain ground beef with blob of mayo, kombucha x 2

M3 (below) TJ frozen chicken tenders, snap peas with lazy sauce (dried ginger, dried garlic, coconut aminos, sesame oil, fish sauce), 1/2 kabocha squash, coconut milk

For some reason my stomach was killing me this afternoon - heartburn like pain but lower, more over my gut, not up near my chest/throat

Movement: 2 mile walk with baby on back, rehab/yoga class, my finger seems slightly less stiff but maybe that is the weather or something 

Water: pretty good, did have 2 cans of seltzer

Nutrient Density (ND): liver 

39378634301_7b78c5a25a.jpg

Day 3 

M1: 3 eggs, sausage, onions, arugula (blch, this was using up leftovers and I will not repeat this concoction)  with a blob of mayo

24540273077_9ef8b39824.jpg

M2: out of the house at my in-laws, absolutely nothing compliant so I just ate fruit - few mandarins, grapes, strawberries, pineapple

2 kombuchas in the afternoon

Came home to ready to eat a delicious brisket from the InstantPot... to find the fridge broken.  So dinner was delayed over an hour while we tried to salvage what we could by moving it into the garage because the garage is the temp of a fridge :) Munched on oven roasted veggies (parsnip, carrots, onion, zucchini, fennel) while we were doing fridge stuff and then sat down to eat 1/2 kabocha squash and some of the brisket.  Which was amazing.  

Movement: 2 mile walk, loading 13 cases of wood flooring into the truck, then up a flight of stairs, fingers were achey last night (this morning as I'm typing though they feel a bit better), back was really sore yesterday but that probably had to do with flooring stuff

Water: not good (why is this so hard!?), lots of cans of seltzer

Nutrient Density (ND): none, next batch of liver hadn't defrosted, had to throw away the bone broth I was going to have before dinner because it was warm in the fridge 

Day 4

PreWO (pilates) - coffee with 2 tbsp peptides and coconut milk

M1 - 3 eggs, lox, spinach, onions, left over roasted broccoli with mayo

M2 - sausage and mayo (more of a snack while little guy was eating)

Kombucha

M3 - sweet potato with coconut milk, roasted chicken, leftover roasted root veggies and roasted broccoli - ended up eating the other half of the potato too... really hungry

38548903125_ccce5859df.jpg

Movement: 1.5 mile walk, pilates

Water: not good (argh!) - setting an alarm on my phone! Seltzer was only 2 cans but was just part of being dehydrated all day

Nutrient Density (ND): peptides only

You are seriously rocking Whole30!  I haven’t started exercising yet.  Every time I read your activity log it inspires me to stop procrastinating and just do it already!  

I have had two really busy days and I’ve noticed decreased appetite on both days.  I think exercise will help a lot to be successful.

Day 5

M1 - liver pate square, 3 eggs, lox, spinach, onions, haricots vert with mayo

M2 - fancy shmancy salami slices and grapes (out at New Years party - this was the only option)

Kombucha x2

M3 - kabocha squash with coconut milk, brisket, roasted brussel sprouts - went back for seconds on brussels, squash and coconut milk

38574754495_d3fe3d6630.jpg

Movement: 2 mile walk, yoga at home

Water: not good (WTF! - ended up in the ER (only because all urgent cares weren't open at 4 AM) because I was *convinced* I had a UTI - probably just such concentrated urine that it felt UTI-ish.  This is ridiculous! )  Today I'll actually try the alarm on my phone.

Nutrient Density (ND): liver only

6 hours ago, Juice06870 said:

The food is looking very tasty!  I like the idea of putting the coconut milk on the potatoes and squash.  Keep up the good work!

I really do like kabocha squash, but if I were to be 100% honest I eat it mostly because it is an excellent carrier for coconut cream :)

Day 6 cont'd

M2 Salad with leftover roasted chicken, bacon, green beans, beets, Dump Ranch, 4 small sausage bites that were too overcooked and hard for baby that I tried soaking in chicken broth, liver "bite", HB egg + mayo because I was still hungry

39422607752_660fcebe05_m.jpg 39456959491_5ccf4aa962.jpg

Kombucha x 2

M3 - MDA Beef Stroganoff (compliant by skipping dairy), roasted broccoli, kabocha + coconut cream, munched on some freshly roasted fennel/onions/carrots while I was cooking

24593580677_d7d180cbc4.jpg

Movement: 4 mile walk, yoga at home

Water: better, lots of seltzer, feel totally parched right now despite having had 32 oz in the last hour...

Finished yesterday with an apple and almond butter.

Day 7

M1 - liver bite, 3 fried eggs over spinach, haricots vert and onions, last few sausage crumbles (literally a bite), mayo

39480778531_55db995e70.jpg

M2 - ate quite a bit of the new batch of sausage while it was cooking, pan fried some broccoli in that pan once it was done to have something green

Kombucha x 2

Movement: ~4 mile walk, 1.5 with 25 lb baby on my back

Water: better, lots of seltzer - over 120 oz by now (5:30) and I still feel thirsty.  I've been peeing like crazy.  I feel like the water isn't staying in my vasculature - its just going right through :/  I eat a TON of pink salt, maybe my potassium is too low or something?

M3 - leftovers: brisket and chicken, roasted broccoli, onions, kabocha, coconut cream and then a few bites of roasted pork dipped in mayo that my husband was using to make his lunch :ph34r:

39451211402_cc36b26fa8.jpg

Day 8

M1 - usual, liver bite, 3 eggs, lox, spinach, onions, haricots vert, mayo

38622022695_54a5d2cc94.jpg

M2 - at my in laws, knew I'd have no options but that there would be eggs there so I just brought all the veggies to make the same M1 and did that, no lox though.  And for variety I ate it as a scramble instead of veggies on one side of the plate and eggs on the other :)

Kombucha x1 (yeah money savings! :rolleyes: - gotta start brewing my own again)

M3 - Ugliest meal ever.  Leftover beef stroganoff, plain spinach, kabocha and coconut cream.

38809233634_4649c1e4b7.jpg

Movement: morning yoga, PM 1 hr snowshoe

Water: did good in the AM, slacked in the afternoon, 4 seltzers, cup of tea in the late afternoon

Day 9 

M1 - liver bite, 3 eggs, lox, spinach, onions, green beans, mayo

M2 - stuck out of the house much later then expected,  made it to Whole Foods around 3 and was too cheap to spend $14/lb on compliant store made roast beef or turkey, got 3 apples and a kombucha instead :/

M3 - personal stuff came to a head, lost my appetite amidst a tearful evening - almost went to bed without eating, had some left over roast pork and a banana with coconut cream around 7:30 PM so I didn't wake up starving in the middle of the night.

Movement: practically none, had a pilates lesson which is more like PT but that was really it

Water: ~100 oz including seltzer

Nutrient Density: Liver

Busy weekend...

Day 10

Super hungry all day today... probably from eating too little yesterday.  

M1 - usual, liver, lox, eggs, spinach, beans, onions, mayo

24673185317_88a9fab805.jpg

M2- left over roast pork, roasted fennel, onions,carrots, broccoli, butternut squash - this was so good!

39511174542_6636af25f5.jpg

Snack - 2 HB eggs and mayo, kombucha x 2

M3 - burger with some bacon and mustard, kabocha with coconut milk, got snacky and had 2 clementines and an apple

Movement: practically none - I'm so tired of -20 degree windchills!

Water: starting my day with 32 oz now, then it deteriorates...

Day 11

M1 - liver, lox, onions, beans, spinach, eggs, mayo

M2 - 3 HB eggs with mayo, navel orange

M3- STARVING.  Big salad with leftover roasted pork, sautéed zucchini, fennel/onion/carrot leftovers, broccoli and some butternut squash with creamy vinaigrette.  A few too many spoonfuls of almond butter and coconut butter :/  

27807846539_1f17920648.jpg

Movement: virtually none but did about 2 hours of woodworking installing baseboards in the new house

Water: terrible

Day 12

Argh, epic fail on the food front today, ended up not eating until close to 4 PM.  Oops.  But I did try to drink!

M1 - liver bite, 3 eggs,onions, broccoli, mayo.  Still hungry, HB egg with more mayo.  Kombucha.

Snacked on carrots and snap peas with some creamy vinaigrette while cooking. Kombucha.

M2 - salad with leftover chicken thigh, butternut squash, few sweet potato slices, onions/fennel/carrots and broccoli with creamy vinaigrette, piece of kabocha with coconut milk

25714556238_7f37b973bd.jpg

Movement: 1.5 mile walk with baby on my back, 2.5 mile snowshoe (about 1 hr)

Water: 32 oz in AM, some tea and water after snowshoeing but not as much as I should have

Nutrient Density: Liver (today was the last piece!  hopefully I'll have time to make more tomorrow)

Day 13

M1 - The usual.  No liver, ran out.  Made the baby 1 egg with lox and ate the last of his scraps rather than giving them to the dog.  So it was probably 3.2 eggs ;)

M2 - just a snack because between a pediatrician appointment and going to argue a parking ticket we didn't get back home until 4 PM.  But I did get $50 knocked off my ticket!  Ate 3 eggs with mayo before walking to the grocery store, bought a kombucha there.

M3 - brisket, kabocha with coconut milk, sautéed zucchini, 1 spoonful of coconut butter

39582776182_1b1ee97dbd.jpg

Movement: 1.25 mile stroller walk, ~3/4 mile running around downtown trying to deal with the ticket, 2 miles to and from store in the evening, 20 min yoga flow in AM

Water: 32 oz in AM, ALL THE SELTZER.  And I'm ok with that for now.  Giving up seltzer turned into giving up liquids, so maybe I'll tackle that goal down the road.  I had close to 130oz (some of which was water!).

Nutrient Density: None.  And I forgot to take the liver out of the freezer.  

Day 14

Usual M1

M2 - Smoked oysters, broccoli, avocado - not sure I'll repeat this one, but when I'm in the mood for oysters I guess my body needs some B vitamins or something.  I usually eat these with rice cakes and butter, can't say the broccoli and avocado were as good ;)

25761923738_9eebcaae95.jpg

M3 - 2 HB eggs + mayo before baby's bath (I was starving at 5 PM - that little tin of oysters didn't have much staying power!), munched on carrots with creamy vinaigrette, dinner was lemon sheet pan chicken thighs, broccoli, kabocha with coconut milk, apple after dinner - had 2 kombuchas between lunch and dinner too.

38736863845_e9910561ac.jpg

Movement: 30 min yoga flow in AM, 2 mile stroller walk, 1 mile dog walk

Water: 32 oz in AM, seltzer - over 120 oz

Nutrient Density: Licked the spatula while making more liver pate

Day 15

Half way there!  So far this has been my easiest one :) 

M1 - usual, no lox though.  Forgot to buy more.  

39633303841_50a4f21ce4.jpg

M2 - All leftovers: brisket, spiralized butternut, sautéed broccoli, roasted fennel/onions/carrots, mayo. HB egg - still hungry, kombucha

38928761824_b4e0f601ab.jpg

#yeahforunitpricingatTraderJoes - $2 for this guy!

39607497382_2505def8af.jpg

M3 - salad with creamy vinaigrette 1.5 lemon sheet pan chicken thighs, spiralized butternut and sautéed broccoli with mayo - went back for seconds.  Gotta go back to the "big" plate.  Crazy that it works - but small plate I get seconds, big plate I don't.  

39639470241_097ae2af7d.jpg 38743093045_110f75b9be.jpg  

Movement: 60 min yoga with too many baby interruptions in AM - this was probably 10m of work, 2 mile stroller walk, 2 mile walk to grocery store

Water: 32 oz in AM, seltzer - over 100oz

Overall feeling today: ouch, upper back is KILLING me - last night it was bad enough it woke me up, eased up a bit after foam rolling this AM but came back with a vengeance this afternoon

Busy few days!  No pics, no menus because it was 3 days ago and therefore I don't remember!  I have been getting a little sloppy with the template though and had a night with too many spoonfuls of nut butter :(  In my defense I ate meal 1 around 7 and didn't eat meal 2 until 5 because work was so crazy.  I wish that management would let staffing be appropriate for respiratory season.  Grumble.  Any nurse managers reading this?  Why the heck is staffing the way it is?  So unfair to patients, families, nurses.  

Back to straight and narrow for the last 10 days (I hope!)

Yesterday (Sunday) (stomach was totally off in the AM due to nut butter from night before - almonds and I do not get along)

M1 usual - 3 eggs, lox, green beans, spinach, onions, mayo

Snack  - 2 HB eggs, kombucha x 2

M2 - 2 small chicken thighs (lemon/basil), butternut squash, spinach and onions, roasted fennel and parsnips

Today (Monday, Day 19 - wow!)

9:30 hot yoga - totally forgot to eat PreWO snack trying to get baby down for his nap before the sitter came.  Oops.

M1 - 3 eggs, lox, onions, spinach, broccoli (out of green beans, green beans are better :) ), liver pate bite - baby ate at least 1/4 of my plate so I had a HB egg with mayo too

Yesterday continues

M2 - fridge was empty - no time for a big cook up this weekend because of work and working on new house... so it was ~1/3-1/4 of a 5 oz burger (leftover) dipped in mayo, quite a few spoonfuls of solid coconut milk and a few bites of pork sausage.  

Kombucha x 2 in the afternoon

M3 - chicken quarter from teeny tiny little chicken (more like a big cornish hen), roasted butternut squash, fennel, onions, carrots, few bites of the Kalua pork as it came out of the InstantPot, chunk of coconut butter

Walked about 1.5 miles with baby in stroller, 1 hr hot yoga class

Tuesday, Day 20

25-30 min yoga, 1.5-2 mile walk with baby in stroller in the snow.  

M1 - 3 eggs, lox, spinach, onions, broccoli, green beans, mayo.  Few small bites of breakfast sausage baby was eating.  Coffee with Nutpods.  Such a treat but I still totally think this is SWYPO but hey, might as well take advantage of a rule I don't agree with!  

Yesterday didn't end well.  Got stuck out of the house again with no food and by the time I ate again around 4 it turned into a binge on dried fruit.  All foods were compliant but the dried fruit in the house reserved for recipes is now all gone.  I will just continue but my goal to make it 30 days with no overeating didn't happen.  These three days in a row of not being able to eat were not easy for me.  I get so hungry that by the time I can eat - and try making a good choice - the "full switch" just doesn't get tripped.  So far this W30 had been the best one for no binge eating urges.  Oh well.  Goes to show how important (for me) the 3 meals per day is - and not going 8 hrs on one meal during the day.  Grumble grumble.

Wow, baby with a stomach virus and moving make it difficult to stay up to date on this log :) Still W30 despite the crazies of the last week!  Day 28 today I think!  Maybe I'll try to post some meals these next few days.

Archived