Prepped and ready! Any suggestions on family that doesn't quite get it?


SammyC

Recommended Posts

Visiting my family this weekend.. I have all my food ready to go for breakfast and lunch and mini meals to get me thru cravings.. 

but dinner I plan to eat with them. I plan on buying fresh chicken or fish there instead of bringing it.

I told my sister I'll make everything for myself and not to worry about me. She is trying to work around it for me, but I've told her 1000 times that I want to cook for myself and I appreciate her trying but I don't want her to worry about me. She really won't let it go and she is insisting I don't cook... I'm gonna end up cooking for myself at my dads and bringing it, but what do I do when she insists I eat what she make? She will insist it's safe, but then I know I'll find out she used butter in her potatoes, or sugar in her tomato sauce and I'll have to start all over. I'm only 3 days in but I feel like I've done so well and I don't want to mess it up.

plus I know when I tell her no that her husband is gonna chime in and tell me it's weird or stupid that I'm doing this.. 

any advice is greatly appreciated. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, SammyC said:

Visiting my family this weekend.. I have all my food ready to go for breakfast and lunch and mini meals to get me thru cravings.. 

but dinner I plan to eat with them. I plan on buying fresh chicken or fish there instead of bringing it.

I told my sister I'll make everything for myself and not to worry about me. She is trying to work around it for me, but I've told her 1000 times that I want to cook for myself and I appreciate her trying but I don't want her to worry about me. She really won't let it go and she is insisting I don't cook... I'm gonna end up cooking for myself at my dads and bringing it, but what do I do when she insists I eat what she make? She will insist it's safe, but then I know I'll find out she used butter in her potatoes, or sugar in her tomato sauce and I'll have to start all over. I'm only 3 days in but I feel like I've done so well and I don't want to mess it up.

plus I know when I tell her no that her husband is gonna chime in and tell me it's weird or stupid that I'm doing this.. 

any advice is greatly appreciated. 

 

First, I"m sorry that your family isn't supportive and I truly hope that you were exagerating by saying the husband is going to say you're weird or stupid because that's ridiculous. (but also completely believable because we've definitely heard stories of that occurring)

That said here's a blog post by Melissa that you may find helpful and if you google 'whole30 friends and family' there are others that you can read that might give some insight.  My personal advice is to nail it down to one reason you're doing this, which is to improve your health and then ensure you're committed to it (which it sounds like you are) and from that vantage point, it's not rude to question what is in the potatoes and that you'll happily eat what she's cooked as long as it lines up with your health goals.  

https://whole30.com/2014/11/dear-melissa-talking-whole30-with-friends-and-family/

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

First, I"m sorry that your family isn't supportive and I truly hope that you were exagerating by saying the husband is going to say you're weird or stupid because that's ridiculous. (but also completely believable because we've definitely heard stories of that occurring)

That said here's a blog post by Melissa that you may find helpful and if you google 'whole30 friends and family' there are others that you can read that might give some insight.  My personal advice is to nail it down to one reason you're doing this, which is to improve your health and then ensure you're committed to it (which it sounds like you are) and from that vantage point, it's not rude to question what is in the potatoes and that you'll happily eat what she's cooked as long as it lines up with your health goals.  

https://whole30.com/2014/11/dear-melissa-talking-whole30-with-friends-and-family/

She ended up ordering pizza and getting tons of desserts from my favorite bakery.

i might cry

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
23 hours ago, SammyC said:

She ended up ordering pizza and getting tons of desserts from my favorite bakery.

i might cry

OH man, I am seriously so sorry to hear that... I don't know the dynamics but is it possible she thought that since you insisted you cook for yourself that that was still your plan?  If she didn't, then that's just straight up sabotage and really really nasty...

Do not let this derail you SammyC!  You're stronger than pizza and desserts... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:OH man, I am seriously so sorry to hear that... I don't know the dynamics but is it possible she thought that since you insisted you cook for yourself that that was still your plan?  If she didn't, then that's just straight up sabotage and really really nasty...

Do not let this derail you SammyC!  You're stronger than pizza and desserts... 

I ended up bringing the lunch I had prepared for today.. and ate that while everyone chowed down on the pizza. 

I had a bit of a mental breakdown last night and this morning and I almost just threw in the towel. It wasn't just over the food.. my mom was being insane because we visited my dad for the new year instead of visiting her (but in my defense I just saw her in November and she lives in Maine and they have like 2ft of snow on the ground so driving up there would have been horrible) 

but my dad convinced me not to and made me eggs and sweet potatoes and used my clarified butter.

and then I went to my best friends house and we made spicy chicken and guacamole .. and she double checked with me with all the ingredients so I didn't screw up. 

anyway.. all that matters is I'm one more day down! And I'm proud of myself for not giving up 

happy new year!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@SammyC oh man, that sounds rough! Seriously, good for you for making it through all that. I’m glad your dad and friend are supporting you. Good luck through the rest of your 30 days, sounds like you really started strong so I hope the rest is a piece of...uh, roasted chicken!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.