Doctor recommended OTC in lieu of prescription meds

DJ, Atlanta

For a number of years I've had intermittent GERD.  Doctor wanted me to take Prilosec, I declined.   Advised me to try to manage with OTC's like Tums.  I had pretty well gotten rid of it after I started eating fermented milk products.  But on Day 2, I woke up in pain around 4 am in pain and chewed a Tums (which always works).  I'm now on Day 4 and it just dawned on this afternoon they may not have been compliant.  Checked and they do have sucrose.  I've seen the posts on supplements and prescription medication, but this is a OTC in lieu of what I believe is an unhealthy prescribed medication.  

I hate to start taking a prescription like Prilosec to cope for 2 or 3 weeks, but there is no sleeping when it gets bad.  I also want to stick with rules.  I have been drinking compliant kombucha, but it doesn't seem to do the trick like yogurt or kefir.  I read on some of the posts that apple cider vinegar might help so I'll try that.  Just not sure about starting over.  Other than that I've followed all the rules.  

• Moderators

The rules are strict, but then again, we're not cruel people and we don't want you to be miserable. Here's the official guidance on whether to start over:   https://whole30.com/2014/06/really-start-whole30/   

Be careful with the vinegar -- for some people it helps, for some people it is apparently a very unpleasant experience. If it clearly makes your symptoms worse, don't think you just need more, my understanding is that that is not how that works. 

If you feel like probiotics would be helpful, you could look for probiotic pills, and you can add fermented foods like sauerkraut or kimchi or other fermented vegetables to your diet. 

Archived