My Whole30+.

Taylor Herman

Whole30, Whole60, Whole90, whatever I do, I plan on taking it one day at a time. I've never done a log on this forum (I've pretty much only shared recipes) and I want to try something new.

I first discovered the Whole30 a little over a year ago after going through some eating issues. It started during law school. With all of that stress, anxiety, pressure, I started to over exercise. I needed to be in control over something. So I controlled my exercise and my food. I controlled both too much. Bottom line, it wasn't pretty but I got through it. I have some stomach issues as a result of what I put my body through but overall, I'm okay.

After my first Whole30 I felt amazing. The program helped me to not obsess over food, but to see it as fuel for my body. However, since then I've been up and down. Some days/weeks/months I eat and feel really good. Other days/weeks/months I'm not so good. I take liberties with having "treats" and one bad day can turn into two bad weeks or more. I'm sure there are many people on this forum who have had (or have) a similar experience.

So I want to give it another shot. I'm not sure if I'll be posting on this topic every single day (I work as an attorney in the city, crazy stupid hours) but I wanted a place where I could come and talk about my feelings freely. I've read a lot of posts on this forum. I know this is a safe place. No judgments, lots of support. I need both and I look forward to becoming a bigger part of this community.

My one and only goal this round: To have a healthy relationship with food.

Just checking in. I'm on day 4 and so far so good. The hardest part for me (so far) is not eating after dinner. I have to remind myself that I need to allow myself to feel full and that I'm not actually hungry. I'm only craving something else because for 20+ years I've been conditioned to expect something extra after dinner.

Three things I'm looking forward to in the new year:

1) My first ever batch of bone broth is cooking. I went to a local butcher who gave me 5 lbs. of beef bones! Crossing my fingers that this comes out well so I can continue to make it in the future.

2) At that same butcher I found compliant bacon: pork and salt. Yay!

3) I ordered some grass fed beef jerky! Great for my workout schedule and late nights at work.

If anyone reads this, I hope you have a healthy and happy New Year. May 2013 be your best year yet.

Today's food: I woke up early to go to work and felt kind of nauseous. Therefore I didn't eat my first meal until around noonish.

Meal 1: Homemade sweet potato and kale beef meatballs, roasted brussel sprouts, guacamole, carrots, and mango.

Meal 2: 1/2 roasted sweet potato, more roasted brussels and baby broccoli, and roasted red pepper chicken sausage, some frozen raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries.

The roasted red pepper chicken sausage is compliant but I try to use it sparingly. If you couldn't tell, I'm kind of having a thing right now with roasted brussel sprouts, I eat them every single day. Then again, if that's my weakness, I think i'm doing just fine.

I think I need to add a little more fat into my eating but I really only like avocado. Nuts are a no-go for me and I just don't like the taste of coconut. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just mentioning this tip because I'm surprised how often it's not noted on mayo recipes: Just put all the ingredients into a container, insert immersion blender (stick blender) and blend for half a minute. Voila, perfect mayo every time.

The recipe I use (from "Melicious"):

• 1&1/4 cups of "light tasting" olive oil (or your avocado oil)
  • 1/2 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 TBSP vinegar with "the mother" (I like coconut water vinegar by Tropical Traditions but apple cider vinegar is great too; the original recipe calls for lemon juice but I find it easier to use vinegar)
  • 1 egg (pastured)

Everything has to be the same temperature. I put the egg and vinegar out the night before then make the mayo in the morning.

The mayo is good until the "good until" date on your egg carton. That's usually about 5 weeks but I've always consumed mine within a couple of weeks.

I love to use mayo to make creamy salad dressing. Also good to make tuna salad or egg salad.

As of Sunday, I haven't had a working oven/stovetop. Its supposed to be fixed by Wednesday but in the meantime I feel like I am eating a lot less vegetables than I normally do.

My problem is most of the vegetables I bought I don't want to consume raw (brussels sprouts and baby broccoli) and I don't want to go out to the market and spend more money on more vegetables.

So, for now my vegetables are only carrots, hearts of palm, and the tomatoes/onions that are in the chili I cooked up last night (my crockpot saved me).

What I'm getting at is this: Has anyone ever roasted vegetables in a crockpot?

Archived