Starting New and Feel Unprepared

Smvazquez1008

I thought I got myself ready for this new journey, but now that I am starting and a few hours, I feel like I didn't do enough. My husband and I researched the foods I could have and what I needed to stay away from. He even made me a whole 30 shopping list in our Out Of Milk app. I moved around/ got rid of foods I thought may be a temptation. I also got an app that lets me scan the food to see if it is compliant. I have a group of friends doing it with me, and I set up a private FB group for us to talk about how things are going. I couldn't get the books, and am not sure if I prepared mentally. I know why I am doing all of this. I want my stomach issues to stop controlling my life. I think I would feel better if I had gotten paid before the holiday break and could have done the shopping I needed. 

• Moderators

You can totally do this, even without the books. Focus on eating vegetables, proteins, and healthy fats at each meal. Remember to drink plenty of water and salt your food enough to taste good to you. 

One note about the app, there is no official whole30 app, so always read the ingredients on foods for yourself to double check what the app says. They probably wouldn't intentionally set out to deceive anyone, but depending on who made the app and their understanding of the rules, it's possible there could be mistakes.

• Moderators

An app would be nearly impossible to maintain every product anyone ever wants to buy in every country in the world... remember, Whole30 isn't just in the USA ;)

That said, you can make yourself into an easy peasy app by becoming familiar with label reading and the rules... we also have a few cheat sheets (linked in my signature below) including common additives, sneaky names for sugar etc... those should help anyone read any label anywhere they happen to be :)

You'll be fine! We started on the spur of the moment in July 2016, and it was very successful. Just keep it simple. Planning to start another round in 2018 after the holidays, a cruise, my birthday, and Super Bowl are behind us! People seem intent on buying lots of prepared foods, and I would say forget that and go with the simpler, the better.

Stephanie

Sorry everyone for not being here much! Being done the day before Christmas bc I actually ended up starting way before December 1st. I cut out nightshades and the probiotic and my Heartburn got better! I tried OJ on Christmas day and I about puked bc it was too sweet!!! I’ve since tried dairy products and that will be a no go ever again! Gut hates it and since my sinus’ have cleared up, I won’t be going back either! I live in a place in Ohio that is known for being called “sinus valley” by ENT docs all over the USA bc they flock here to practice medicine bc of how bad people’s sinus’ are here!!! 

So the big news!!!! I lost 25 pounds in a month!!!! I would definitely say I’m sleeeping better, even could tell a huge difference in my endometriosis this month...barely could feel my usual bed stricken painful cramps! I also am seeing less acne, and I’m still struggling with my depression, but I’m much more hopeful these days! Definitely more energized to eat better and I had some sugar, but I hated it! Santa aka my dad tried to get me sugar-free candy in my stocking, but it was disgusting and gut wrenching as well. That went in trash!!! I’m going to transition into paleo bc I just feel better as a whole and I want to stay away from even the paleo approved desserts, unless I really am wanting a piece, but I really tend to binge, so I’m trying to stay away all together! 

I’ve beem exercising as much as I can in the warm pool, but my back still is in pain and I do what I can. Also, I tend to be a hermit when it’s been -4 degrees this past week! Brrrr! 

Welll Happy New Year y’all!

- Emily Wilber

@Smvazquez1008 Hurrah for you for embarking on this journey! 

After maybe two shopping trips you’ll find that you really don’t need any help with figuring out compliant foods. 

We started our third Whole30 yesterday and as far as mental prep, I need high support, my husband needs low so I hear you! 

Things that have helped me: these forums, the daily newsletter (so worth the small investment-esp when you both are doing it, comes out to something like 50 cents/day for two), last round in addition I joined a closed FB group that was hugely helpful, and following all things Whole30 on social media! They do a great job providing so much free material I never felt like I needed to purchase more than the correct food to be successful. 

I do think part of the eye opening process is how much more expensive it is to eat whole, especially if you aren’t in a major metro market. You’ll find what works for you, stick with it and lean on the community. Let us know if you need anything. 

Even on round three, last eve I went to my FB group and asked for help to survive my sugar dragon ;/) You’ve got this! 

Archived