Lara Bars.....I know they are allowed, but....

Megan Parker

Think of it as a candy bar replacement. While they are made from compliant ingredients, they can be abused for "when you just need something sweet." One of the outcomes of the whole30 is to change your relationship with food; reaching for "just another bar" might not accomplish that.

Look to the rules that talk about any food that might create a psychological dependence for you. For some it is nuts, for others nut butters, or many other compliant foods. Even though foods are compliant, they still can be considered food without brakes.

Hope this helps!

Agree with Lyn2. We have 'Naked' bars in the Uk (so glad I can't get Lara!), and although they are full of good stuff, they definitely stir my sugar demon the day after, so I try to avoid them most of the time.

Compliant doesn't mean go crazy (this means nuts, nut butters, fruit, kale chips etc.). They are still basically junk food...compliant junk food. If you ate even 1 a day (which I think is too much) that is crowding out other REAL food that you could be eating. I would suggest not even buying them because they don't help improve ones relationship with food, they still foster unhealthy habits...a processed, packed, sugary treat...you even have to unwrap it like a candy bar. Whole30 is about retraining your brain and your habits, not finding compliant junk food.

• Moderators

There is only so much you can/should eat in a day. Every lara bar you eat crowds something else off your plate that would have been better - some slow cooker meat, some wilted fresh greens, some braised cabbage, etc. Once you experience what it is like to eat the really good stuff for 30 days, eating lesser foods starts to feel wasteful.

Thanks for the replies! I will probably eat one occasionally. I have 4 kids, two of which are in activities and 10 month old twins so I always keep snacks in my diaper bag for all of us.....so I'm trying to come up with ideas since non perishable/bring along things are few and far between.

I understand this! I also have four kids and sometimes we are out all day at their sporting or other events. Primal Pacs or Steve's Paleo Kits have been lifesavers for me during those times or during day-long airport communtes with the kids. I know I feel better eating grass-fed jerky than I do eating concession stand junk or airport fast food. I also got a big dehydrator and make my own jerky and dried veggies, and those are super easy to throw in a bag to take along.

I also got a big dehydrator and make my own jerky and dried veggies, and those are super easy to throw in a bag to take along.

Hi Emily, I have an excalibur and made my own jerky. I loved it, I'd never even tasted it before. I love the idea of drying veggies to carry along with it. However, I haven't quite mastered that art yet, carrot bullets anyone? I know I'm being a pain but can I ask what veg do you dry, is it cooked first and how long what temp did you dry it at? any advice greatfully received.

Hi Emily, I have an excalibur and made my own jerky. I loved it, I'd never even tasted it before. I love the idea of drying veggies to carry along with it. However, I haven't quite mastered that art yet, carrot bullets anyone? I know I'm being a pain but can I ask what veg do you dry, is it cooked first and how long what temp did you dry it at? any advice greatfully received.

Oooh, wish I could be more help, but I am still experimenting with my dehydrator! I don't have real temp or time advice...I put my stuff in and test it periodically until it's what I think I want. And even then, sometimes I'm wrong. But, here is what has come out the best!

When I first got this massive thing, I dried EVERYTHING. I like to marinate beef or chicken (and have even done ground beef patties) with coconut aminos, cumin, and other southwest spices. I like to pair that with dried bell peppers and onions and even some jalapenos and/or pineapple for kind of fajitas in a bag. I'm from Texas, you know...fajitas are big, LOL!

I've also done baby tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper, in the dehydrator, and those are delicious...they dry and are almost like candy.

I've also done kale chips and sweet potato chips, just oil and spices, in the dehydrator, but I think I prefer those in the oven. Hope that helps, maybe a little!

I have tried Bananas, Grapes and Sweet Potatoes in the dehydrator. Grapes take about 72hours. (I have to do this, as my son is allergic to most grapes/raisins and I give him those when other kids get snacks from their Mom's during play dates.

Banana chips are tasty crunchy, but almost to sweet for my taste, but they are a hit with kids. And the sweet potatoes are great as well.

None of the foods are cooked prior. The Bananas are cut and then soaked for a bit in a lemony water to prevent some of the browning. Hope that helps and I usually google what I want to put in the dehydrator.

We also do our own Jerky. I am in need, but I need Coconut Aminos for the marinade.

Oooh, wish I could be more help, but I am still experimenting with my dehydrator! I don't have real temp or time advice...I put my stuff in and test it periodically until it's what I think I want. And even then, sometimes I'm wrong. But, here is what has come out the best!

When I first got this massive thing, I dried EVERYTHING. I like to marinate beef or chicken (and have even done ground beef patties) with coconut aminos, cumin, and other southwest spices. I like to pair that with dried bell peppers and onions and even some jalapenos and/or pineapple for kind of fajitas in a bag. I'm from Texas, you know...fajitas are big, LOL!

I've also done baby tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and pepper, in the dehydrator, and those are delicious...they dry and are almost like candy.

I've also done kale chips and sweet potato chips, just oil and spices, in the dehydrator, but I think I prefer those in the oven. Hope that helps, maybe a little!

where do you purchase your Coconut aminos from? I can only find it online and the shipping is usually outrageous. Just hoping to find some kind of store to carry it.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful of the cherry Lara Bar. It has soybean oil and the blueberry flavor has vanilla. I'm not sure if that means it has alcohol in the vanilla or not. I like the cashew ones. I'm guilty of eating these too often still.

Also the health food store I frequent stocks peanut Lara Bars, obviously out.

I have a Lara Bar in the bottom of my purse for some high level emergency, but they are just too candylike for my sugar dragon. Nutritious candy, but candy nonetheless.

For those of you with dehydrators - try zucchini chips. I did a lot of these last summer when we had a bumper crop and I had to get rid of those puppies!

Just slice them (1/4 inch thick or so), lay them on the trays, lightly sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder, rosemary, etc...whatever inspires you (be careful to use a light hand as the flavors will get stronger as they dry) and then dry until crispy. I forget how long it took, but if your slices are even, they come out great!

My husband loved them so much, he ate a whole gallon bag of them while I was at work one day. This is a VERY bad idea as these things will rehydrate in your stomach and can cause a lot of cramps if you aren't careful! Just eat them in moderation and with plenty of water and you'll be fine. ;)

where do you purchase your Coconut aminos from? I can only find it online and the shipping is usually outrageous. Just hoping to find some kind of store to carry it.

Sorry I am late answering, but most of the time, I order coconut aminos from Amazon. They've been a lifesaver for me...no WholeFoods, Costco, Trader Joe's, etc., within 5 hours of us, and the nearest Natural Grocers is an hour and a half away. That Amazon Prime membership has come in really handy for both my Whole30's!

At the Coconut Secret website, there is a feature where you can find the nearest store selling Coconut Aminos. For me, that store was Vitamin Shoppe.

http://www.coconutsecret.com/Store%20Locator2.html

My husband loved them so much, he ate a whole gallon bag of them while I was at work one day. This is a VERY bad idea as these things will rehydrate in your stomach and can cause a lot of cramps if you aren't careful! Just eat them in moderation and with plenty of water and you'll be fine. ;)

Oh mannnn that is not a pretty picture! Though I may save that idea if I ever need to punish a nemesis, provided that nemesis likes zucchini chips.

For those looking for portable items, blueberries survive a lot of transport punishment, even uncooled (you could pack frozen ones). Tiny tins of tuna (sometimes no drain tuna) and vegetables can be found (especially in places with european products), but check ingredients.

If you may not have rubbish bin access, take a suitable container for your tins and/or liquid. Nut butters and pesto keeps well in small dressing containers.

If you're worried about leaks, bag your containers in a snap-lock bag or two.

For those of you with dehydrators - try zucchini chips. I did a lot of these last summer when we had a bumper crop and I had to get rid of those puppies!

My husband loved them so much, he ate a whole gallon bag of them while I was at work one day. ;)

When I liked your post, I meant I like the idea of dehydrating the zucchini, not that I liked what happened to your hubby. Just clarifying :)

Archived