Here We Go Again... Will It Work This Time?

MidgeyRN

This is my umpteenth attempt at trying to introduce myself here.  I have typed out more posts than I care to admit and each one seems worse than the last.  I wanted to come up with the witty, funny, get-your-attention words that might get this post some responses.  Then I realized that I just want to put my story out there and connect with people who are similarly struggling, so here it goes...

I did a round of Whole30 back in June of 2016 and after 30 days.... nothing.  I honestly don't remember feeling any of the amazing changes that people claim to feel while doing the Whole30.  I remember feeling tired, grumpy, having "bathroom" issues, feeling hung-over and hungry, but never really feeling the food freedom or control of food that I had come to expect after a Whole30.  And before you ask, I followed the rules to the T - well timed meals, the plate template, the no-no list.  All of the rules.  I did manage to lose some weight during those 30 days but I ended up putting it all back on, then some.  In January of 2017 I decided enough was enough and I refused to cry one more time while getting ready for date night because I hated how I looked and felt in my clothes and in my skin.  Changes were made and here we are just under a year later, almost 30# and 20 inches lost. 

While I am looking better and feeling better, I also realized something along the way: the sugar dragon always wins.  I hate that food rules my life.  The more I think about it, the angrier I get.  I happen to be a night shift RN working three to four 12-hour shifts a week.  In those 36-48 hours, I see people hurt and dying of diseases that are almost completely avoidable, preventable, or manageable with right dietary modifications.  Yet here I sit eating fast food, ice cream, and all manner of truly toxic food feeling a myriad of unpleasant side effects because of my addiction to the foods I know are slowly killing me.

No more.  I come here today to say no more: to being tired all of the time, to being short with my children and my husband, to fighting the fog when I am trying to take care of the people who are sick or hurting, to working out with limited results.  No. More

Today is the start of a fresh year, a chance for me to take the things I have learned this last year and make even more positive changes in the coming year.  Here is to the next 30 days of what I am hoping will be the start of my life-changing journey towards health, personal, and professional happiness. 

WOW! your post is so brave! thank you for being so honest and sharing your ups and downs. This is one of the reasons I love this board

It is full of people coming from all different places, but who have similar goals - to feel better (whatever that is for you).

You can do this! Fill your mind and spirit with positive; books, podcasts, friends who you can look to for encouragement, the Bible .

I know that for me plugging into a church related podcast a few times a week really made a huge difference for me these past couple 

of months. I really could see a transformation in my attitude.

You can do this, Good Luck!!

Ruth

• Moderators
8 hours ago, MidgeyRN said:

This is my umpteenth attempt at trying to introduce myself here.  I have typed out more posts than I care to admit and each one seems worse than the last.  I wanted to come up with the witty, funny, get-your-attention words that might get this post some responses.  Then I realized that I just want to put my story out there and connect with people who are similarly struggling, so here it goes...

I did a round of Whole30 back in June of 2016 and after 30 days.... nothing.  I honestly don't remember feeling any of the amazing changes that people claim to feel while doing the Whole30.  I remember feeling tired, grumpy, having "bathroom" issues, feeling hung-over and hungry, but never really feeling the food freedom or control of food that I had come to expect after a Whole30.  And before you ask, I followed the rules to the T - well timed meals, the plate template, the no-no list.  All of the rules.  I did manage to lose some weight during those 30 days but I ended up putting it all back on, then some.  In January of 2017 I decided enough was enough and I refused to cry one more time while getting ready for date night because I hated how I looked and felt in my clothes and in my skin.  Changes were made and here we are just under a year later, almost 30# and 20 inches lost. 

While I am looking better and feeling better, I also realized something along the way: the sugar dragon always wins.  I hate that food rules my life.  The more I think about it, the angrier I get.  I happen to be a night shift RN working three to four 12-hour shifts a week.  In those 36-48 hours, I see people hurt and dying of diseases that are almost completely avoidable, preventable, or manageable with right dietary modifications.  Yet here I sit eating fast food, ice cream, and all manner of truly toxic food feeling a myriad of unpleasant side effects because of my addiction to the foods I know are slowly killing me.

No more.  I come here today to say no more: to being tired all of the time, to being short with my children and my husband, to fighting the fog when I am trying to take care of the people who are sick or hurting, to working out with limited results.  No. More

Today is the start of a fresh year, a chance for me to take the things I have learned this last year and make even more positive changes in the coming year.  Here is to the next 30 days of what I am hoping will be the start of my life-changing journey towards health, personal, and professional happiness. 

Your words are certainly attention getting... there's nothing like the truth when it's spoken with a whole heart is there? :)  If you're struggling during these 30 days and not seeing results, please don't wait till the end; feel free to open up a troubleshooting thread and we can help with having a look at your meals, meal timing etc... sometimes there's a little something we can see from experience that might help :)

Enjoy your 30 days!

Hi @MidgeyRN-

I just wanted to say I recognize your struggle all too well. This is my third round in a year and a half and my sugar dragon is very strong, and comes roaring out when I am stressed. 

I just listened to Food Freedom Forever in prep for this one and I think what is different in my mindset is that I’m trying to accept it will be an evolution. The ‘choice’ to eat sugar or gluten for me after the next 45 days will eventually happen and that the key is mindfulness, self forgiveness, and reset when it does happen.  

Congrats on all of your work last year! Cheering you on! 

Archived