Have a work trip situation coming up. Anyone have creative survival strategies?

MonicaRenee144

Hi all!

I am planning on completing my 2nd W30 in January with the big group. I have, however, just discovered that I will have to travel to help out with a public meeting for 3 days in week 2.

Here's the deal:

The first day should be OK. I can pack normal cold food and should be able to eat compliant wherever we get dinner.

The next 2 days are the trick. We have two 12-ish hour days of individual meetings.

- I won't have a vehicle available to me to go get my own food.

- No cooler available (and I need to minimize the amount of stuff I bring as much as possible since we're jamming the full amount of people in each vehicle to travel up there).

- They're talking having Subway or Jimmy Johns delivered for meals - probably 2 a day for those days since we're doing individual meetings from 8a-9p (big party-size things, not individual orders.)

I've got some Primal Pacs on order, and will bring up some fresh produce that can stay at room temp....but that's all I've got. I can always survive on just Primal Pacs if I must, I suppose. I really don't want to spend my mealtimes picking compliant ingredients off of sandwiches...

Anyone done this before? Do you have a creative strategy? I normally wouldn't plan a W30 over something like this, but I was committed before I found out I had to go and now I don't want to give it up.....though I am planning on doing at least a W45 (got some skin problems I want COMPLETELY gone this time.)

Thanks for any advice! :)

P.S. I hope I put this in the right topic area. It's meal planning in my head....

It's definitely a tricky one. The first time a work trip coincided with my Whole30 I crashed miserably, but next two times it was easy enough, might have been because I was further into the Whole30, not sure.

This is my approach, I'm sure that there will be others who will give you different/better advice. For me, what works is a bulletproof coffee with clarified butter in the morning, with a couple of scrambled eggs, and then I'm good until dinner. Dinner at a restaurant is easier to navigate than a brought-in lunch too. I've kind of got used to telling people that I can't do bread or dairy, and they leave me alone after that! Or I disappear at lunchtime and don't have to explain. It takes a bit of working out, so don't give up, you'll get it eventually.

Good luck!

It's definitely a tricky one. The first time a work trip coincided with my Whole30 I crashed miserably, but next two times it was easy enough, might have been because I was further into the Whole30, not sure.

This is my approach, I'm sure that there will be others who will give you different/better advice. For me, what works is a bulletproof coffee with clarified butter in the morning, with a couple of scrambled eggs, and then I'm good until dinner. Dinner at a restaurant is easier to navigate than a brought-in lunch too. I've kind of got used to telling people that I can't do bread or dairy, and they leave me alone after that! Or I disappear at lunchtime and don't have to explain. It takes a bit of working out, so don't give up, you'll get it eventually.

Good luck!

Thanks smacd! I would definitely just do that, except it sounds like we'll have both lunch and dinner brought in each day. *sigh* I'm also a nursing mother, so I worry that fasting like that would tank my milk supply. I can definitely navigate at a restaurant! Maybe I'll get lucky and we'll have more meals at restaurants.

Ah, yes, so fast maybe not a good idea in your case (although it never feels like one these days, another success of the Whole30!). If you have time, just tell them that you (or the baby) seems to have allergies and see if you can get them to bring you a gluten/dairy free option. It probably won't be optimal, but at least it will be better than nothing.

Archived