avocado and nuts/seeds alternatives

klkrikorian

I started my Whole30 January today and see avocado and nuts/seeds are a big part of the healthy fat piece. However, I am allergic to avocados (gastrointestinal) and dislike all nuts and seeds.  I can't put olives and coconut in everything, right?  Any other substitute recommendations?  I wonder if my allergy to avocados might dissipate with the program?  Thanks!

• Moderators

Allergies don't generally go away, so you really wouldn't want to try to eat something you're allergic to without talking to a doctor first.

Oils like olive oil or coconut oil and fats like tallow or lard are other options. You can make or buy compliant mayo or dressings or oil-based sauces like chimichurri. 

THank you for your reply!  I was wondering more for ease for snacks especially on the go and sides. For example a lot of suggestions are to put almond butter on an apple or nuts with some carrots or an avocado on the side with a salad. It’s kinda hard to have a snack of apple with olive oil or carrots dipped in lard. :-(  

I will look for compliant sauces or dips though! Any favorites??

Snacks aren't encouraged on the whole30. Ideally you should be eating enough at your three meals, + pre and/or post workout as needed. If you need something in between main meals, try to make it a mini-meal with protein, fat, and veggies. Nuts are recommended as a closed handful every other day at most as is, so it's not really hard to avoid them.  But a mini-meal of carrots dipped in, say, Muhamarra (roasted red pepper dip) and a hard boiled egg isn't that fundamentally different from carrots dipped in guacamole. But do you like coconut and olives? Why not eat them?  I have a can of olives practically every day.

Mel Joulwan has some good dressings/dips

http://meljoulwan.com/2014/10/20/zingy-ginger-dressing/

https://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/10/paleo-ranch-dressing/

I've made cauliflower "hummus" with olive oil, cauliflower, and spices. Love chimmichurri as mentioned above.

If you're allergic to avocados, you'll likely remain allergic to them even after completing the program. However, if the issue is that your body just doesn't like digesting avocados and the issue is an intolerance instead of an allergy, then it's possible that the Whole30 could help.

Another way to supplement your fat intake is with fattier cuts of meat and/or poultry with the skin on. Mayo is another option for fat and can be turned into all sorts of veggie dips. It might also be worth giving nuts and seed another try later in the program to see if your changing tastebuds make a difference in your enjoyment of them.

Archived