A Breastfeeding Mama’s January Whole30

bcaadd

Hi, I’m Arielle. I have a 2 year old daughter, am nursing my 5-month-old son, and I also have 3 stepdaughters that we have 50% of the time. I have no hobbies and really need to do something for ME. This will be my first Whole30. I “tried” back in 2015 but was pregnant shortly after starting and about halfway through the program the nausea / vomiting was too much and I gave to crackers and pretzels and the occasional burrito ;) Now 2 kids later, I’m ready for this change. I’m hoping to help improve my mood, patience, and energy levels as well as get rid of the nausea that has stuck around postpartum. I’d also really like to lose weight, but honestly I’m more concerned about the mental aspect right now. I’d also really like to change my toddler’s diet to a healthier one, and set her up for a better relationship with food. So anywho, that’s me and my why, here today.

• Moderators

Welcome!  Its hard to tell from the way you describe your meals but it looks like you're not eating enough, even before we factor in that you're breastfeeding.  Eggs when they are your sole source of protein should be as many as you can hold in one hand without dropping so was your portion of quiche around 3-4 eggs worth?  If you want avocado for fat, the general rule is 1/2 to a whole for a serving so you're a bit short there.

Protein such as deli meat would be the thickness x width x length of your palm times 1-2... did you eat that much turkey? 

Yes, pregnant and breast feeding women should be eating 4 meals or three meals and a 4th split up into two mini meals at the minimum... leave off the RX bar (for emergencies only) and add protein and fat in there.  To keep your milk supply up, you may also want to be eating olives or sipping coconut milk throughout the day.  There are a lot of good resources on here for pregnant and breastfeeding moms including a whole dedicated thread and the Healthy Mama Happy Baby program (linked at the top).

@SugarcubeOD I definitely didn’t eat enough! I was starving all day. It seemed like enough on my plate, but I will definitely up intake today.  I started a new thread in the Log section to record my meals... I wanted to be able to add meals to the same post as the day went on but it looks like I can’t edit past posts now? Am I missing something? This morning I had the Roasted Potato and Kale Hash with Eggs from the Fast and Easy Cookbook… I ate two eggs, probably around a half of a yellow potato, 3/4 of an avocado, a handful of olives, and a small handful of strawberries. I’m pretty darn full and don’t think I could’ve eaten any more than that. Thanks so much for your help!

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, bcaadd said:

@SugarcubeOD I definitely didn’t eat enough! I was starving all day. It seemed like enough on my plate, but I will definitely up intake today.  I started a new thread in the Log section to record my meals... I wanted to be able to add meals to the same post as the day went on but it looks like I can’t edit past posts now? Am I missing something? This morning I had the Roasted Potato and Kale Hash with Eggs from the Fast and Easy Cookbook… I ate two eggs, probably around a half of a yellow potato, 3/4 of an avocado, a handful of olives, and a small handful of strawberries. I’m pretty darn full and don’t think I could’ve eaten any more than that. Thanks so much for your help!

Yes, you can only edit posts for 15 min so you need to make a new post in your thread for every meal.  If you find that this meal doesn't hold you, I suggest skip the strawberries and add a third egg and then skip one of the fat choices in lieu of more non starchy veggies... 

Hi @bcaadd ! I began my third whole30 today, but it is my first one while breastfeeding! My name is Kara and I have a 10-month-old daughter whom I am breastfeeding. I'm excited to lose my belly bloat, hopefully stop aching all over, and have more energy! My biggest challenge will be giving into "convenience" food, like grabbing a pizza instead of cooking dinner. But giving up pizza and take out will not only be better for my health but my wallet as well! Good luck! 

@charaelyse That will definitely be my biggest challenge too!!! We’ve been getting take out a LOT because my SO doesn’t get home in time to be able to help with making dinner (and just barely in time to eat with us) and with a toddler running around and a 5-month-old who doesn’t want to be put down EVER...making dinner is HARD. Thanks for introducing yourself :) Good luck to you!

Archived