Whole 30 First Timer- January 5 Start Date

Annakathryn215

I'm starting my first Whole 30 this Friday and am anxious to see the impact it has on how I feel. I'm a teacher and this year my school has gone through a lot of transition. Before I knew it, my diet had turned to junk and I felt awful. Over the Christmas break I have mentally prepared myself to make a lifestyle change beginning with my diet. I'm completing the program with my mom in hopes that we can help encourage one another and hold each other accountable. 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Annakathryn215Hi! I'm currently planning to start on January 5 as well! I'd love to join you as an accountability group. :-) 

This will be my second Whole30. I did a Whole43 back in September/October but have totally reverted back to very poor eating habits. So, I'm ready to get back on track! 

Here are my goals for the program. Most of these improved dramatically after my first round but I have lost all that I gained since reverting back to poor eating habits. 

1. I want to feel healthy again. I'm "only" 32 and shouldn't feel the way I feel. I want to someday be 70 years old and still be active in the outdoors because my body is still strong and healthy. I felt a significant improvement on my first Whole30 here but have since lost it all! 
  2. I want more energy. I achieved a bit of an increase in energy on my first Whole30 but I'm hoping for better! 
  3. I want more stamina to do the activities I love (i.e., hiking, mountain biking, stand-up paddleboarding). I definitely achieved this and want it back! 
  4. I don't want to be a slave to food. I LOVE chocolate and sugar and all things bad and eat them in ridiculous quantities. I want my food freedom to allow me to have a small portion of something I love and feel satisfied, rather than getting out of control so that I eat the whole bag of chocolate or the whole tub of ice cream. This clearly didn't work after my first round.. 
  5. I want to continue to lose weight. I've lost about 20 pounds since starting my first Whole30 but have another 20 to go! 

What are your goals? Are you feeling ready and prepared?

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm hardly an expert but I did finish once so let me know if I can help... 

Hi ladies, I'm happy to find this group thread about starting on Friday! I've got the book and will commit for the 30 days - longer if needed! 

I'm SJ, living in London, 31 years old, single and working in a tech startup. I recently was diagnosed with Adenomyosis, which is a chronic disease of the uterus, causing pain and cramping. 

Someone mentioned that the Whole30 programme helped them reduce the pain so I'm up for trying it! I'm not much of a cook so I'm excited to learn, make mistakes and complete it! 

Good luck for Friday ladies and be ace to keep each other updated for sure!

Best wishes, 

SJ x 

Hi all, I'm a single mum aged 50 of two teenage boys (so unfortunately my house is full of bread, butter and cheese) living in Scotland and am also starting this Friday 5th - have ordered the book and after a week of over indulgence over Christmas and New Year, I desperately need to get my hunger levels and sugar cravings (plus awful mood swings) back on track.  I love to cook so hoping the recipes will inspire rather than make us feel depleted and desperate.  SJ - big up for you embarking on this with pain issues - respect!  After reading everything, I'm sure this will help with your condition.  Looking forward to checking in with you all on Day 1 - good luck everyone!

@Abi Labrador and @Sjc123 Oh yay! More people! I'm so happy you'll be joining along on this journey. It helps so much to have a support network! My fiance is super supportive but isn't doing this with me so I absolutely love the camaraderie I find here. 

Are you both feeling ready? I still need to clean out my cupboards and do some shopping but I'm otherwise feeling ready! I find more success with winging my meals rather than doing weekly cook-fests (I resent having to use so much of my beloved weekend for shopping and cooking rather than playing outside) so I don't have to stress too much with the planning and shopping. 

Some things I want to change with this round (compared to my first round) are: 

• Eat way more leafy green vegetables
  • Eat more fats
  • Don't weigh myself 
  • Get at least 15,000 steps per day

I'll be logging everything here if you're at all interested: https://forum.whole30.com/topic/47066-kiras-whole30-log/?tab=comments#comment-466229

Good luck and I look forward to Day 1!

Hi everyone! My name is Erin. I am starting my first While30 on Friday the 5th as well. I’d love to have some accountability partners. My boyfriend is totally supportive, but is not doing the program with me. 

I am very excited to start. I have some chronic pain, fatigue and brain fog (among other things) that I am very interested to see if they will be alleviated in the next 30 days. 

Good luck to you all! 

Erin

Hi everyone, I'm Liz from Chicago and I'm also starting my first Whole30 this Friday. I'm hoping to really change some food habits, have more energy and gain a clearer picture of how food impacts some medical things going on.  So glad to have found others that are starting the same day! 

Hi Erin and Liz! Welcome to our group - thanks to Anna for starting us off.  Erin - I'm with you on the brain fog thing, let's hope the program will help. 

I am getting prepared today but also attending a friend's curry lunch - will try not to think of it as a last supper but can't help thinking will make the most of having rice . . .

What is everyone most scared of giving up? For me it's not so much sugar and sweet stuff but bread (my favourite food in the whole world) and butter plus cheese. I've already given up milk and yogurt for a while and found almond milk fine in coffee (I think that's allowed if you're careful which one).

Hi Erin and Liz. Welcome to the group! I'm so happy to see there will be a number of us going through this journey together! 

Abi, I definitely struggle the most with giving up sugar! But I did it once and felt wonderful so I know I can do it again! 

Does everyone have some good recipes they're excited to try? Here are a few of my favorites: 

I also love Mel Joulwan and adore several of the recipes from her line of cookbooks. 

Thanks for the recipe tips, Kirbz! I am so glad we are allowed potatoes. . .

I'll pass some recipes on at some point too.  I'm looking forward (kind of) to getting started tomorrow.  I do have one tip to pass on which everyone may already know, but it helped enormously when I did a low FODMAP diet a few months ago.  A couple of tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar taken in a big glass of water (I couldn't stomach shots) really helped with sugar craving - somehow just took the edge of it, maybe because of the sourness. I actually have come to quite like the taste of it.

I've got organic eggs and spinach in the fridge for breakfast tomorrow - what is everyone planning?

Hey there . . . I'd like to join with you. I sorta started today but when my friend said she couldn't start today, I got off track a bit. I'm traveling on the east coast and will return home on Friday. Don't have my meals planned but desperate to start where I am. The longer I procrastinate, the harder it will be for me to start.

I appreciate the support of this group.

Thank you! 

I am ready for tomorrow! I am making dinner now that will double as breakfast tomorrow (at 4am since I have to be at work at 5!). 

I think the the hardest thing for me will be how to replace my coffee with cream and sugar. I don’t like black coffee, and tea just doesn’t satisfy. I think I’ll have to get used to tea!

i have some prep going on now for the next few days, did my grocery shopping today. 

Let’s do this!

Hey, I'm Linwe from Georgia, and today was my first day of the Whole30! I did some shopping yesterday and got one week's supply of eggs, meat, oranges, apples, kale, pomegranate juice, raspberries, blackberries, and kombucha (a favorite drink of mine). Day One has been great -- no major cravings. I'd love to ride along on this journey with you! Some goals of mine are the following:

1. Increase stamina 
  2. Exercise discipline
  3. Lose weight (I'm 60 pounds over the healthy weight for my height)

Hi Linwe, great to meet you!  I'm just a few hours in and so far feeling positive, though black coffee is not my natural go-to morning beverage! Your grocery list sounds delicious - I have also stocked up and sneaked in a couple of avocados and some cashews for when the going gets tough!

It is really cold and rainy here in Scotland - makes salad a less thrilling prospect, but I am determined!

Hope our little group are all doing OK.

Congrats everyone on starting your Whole30! I started this morning as well... I hope you don't mind if I join in on your group. 

I did one last May/June and started to feel really great by the end. I lost some weight, but it was the change in my mood I found most amazing. 

I was doing okay until the fall, but Halloween kind of shoved me off the wagon. I love love sweets and sugar, so I'm hoping to get that all under control again. 

I will miss my coffee. I can't drink it unless it's super sweet. Honey and coconut milk works for me when I'm sticking to paleo. I will also miss bread and cheese. Really, I love all the non-optimal foods. ;-) Except beans. I really don't care if I never eat beans again! 

This time around, I want to focus more on my portion size. In the interest of wanting to never feel hungry, I probably ate on the high side of the meal template, but I feel it's better to eat more than be too tempted to snack on off-plan food. Once I discovered how amazing (and easy) homemade mayo is, I didn't have much trouble adding healthy fat. 

I made salmon cakes for dinner last night and homemade tartar sauce (even though I didn't have any compliant dill pickles...boo!.. so I left them out). And they will be my lunch and possible my dinner today. I had scrambled eggs with a couple large scoops of salsa for breakfast. :-) 

Honestly, I didn't really do much in preparation. I did switch my Hungry Harvest subscription from a mixed fruit & veggie to veggie only. I will be doing massive amounts of prep and planning and a trip to Whole Foods this weekend. Nom Nom Paleo is an awesome paleo food blogger with a ton of Whole30 compliant recipes and tips and she's doing a partnership with Whole Foods this month I want to check out.

I'm so verbose. Sorry about that. Happy and healthy eating!  

@Erinmhess Most varieties of GT's kombucha are compliant... I know it's a common source of confusion, so make sure you're looking at the ingredient list when looking for sugar and not the nutrition panel. Most GT's kombucha has 6-8 grams of naturally occurring sugar but they don't add any extra sugar so it's compliant. 

I hope that helps! My favorite is the Gingerade. :-) 

Hi Gayle, good to have you on board, especially with your previous knowledge and experience.  Will definitely try making mayo. Just reading through the book this afternoon and think the timeline is really helpful; am especially aware that the Day 1 thrill of actually taking control will very quickly fade into headachy sugar/starch come down over the next few days. I have warned my sons that I may be especially grumpy . . . :)

9 minutes ago, Abi Labrador said:

Hi Gayle, good to have you on board, especially with your previous knowledge and experience.  Will definitely try making mayo. Just reading through the book this afternoon and think the timeline is really helpful; am especially aware that the Day 1 thrill of actually taking control will very quickly fade into headachy sugar/starch come down over the next few days. I have warned my sons that I may be especially grumpy . . . :)

I have an immersion blender, so that's what I use to make my mayo. Just dump everything in basically and voila! The first time I made it I compared it to magic. I generally follow these directions: https://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/  I've only messed it up once and I think my jar was too big and I moved the immersion blender too soon. 

When using a regular blender instead, I've heard of people having more trouble getting it to properly emulsify, but plenty of people have no trouble at all and there are threads on the forum, if you hit any hiccups. 

Hi everyone! I am a first timer, and started today as well. I'm 38 years old, married to a very supportive husband and mother to a 3 yr old boy. I'm also a nursing student and school starts back up on the 16th. I've needed to get control over my diet for a long time. I'm tired all the time, have a lot of aches and pains, and get low blood sugar frequently. I would love to have more energy to do things with my son and not worry about getting low blood sugar all the time. Today has been going well so far except I've had a headache and extra tired. I'm sure that's withdrawal from the sugar! How is today going for everyone so far? Looking forward the support here!

I am also starting 1/5. Last night I went out to dinner and made the mistake of having a cocktail - Moscow Mule and also some delicious bread and butter.  I paid dearly for this indulgence - headache, muscle cramps, achy hand and arm, and a little indigestion. So today I am ready to do my 2nd Whole30 starting today.

i successfully completed a Whole30 about a year and a half ago.  Lost some weight around my middle, improved my chronic cough, and generally felt good.  Didn’t do a proper reintroduction last time.  Then I gradually went back to my old ways, which weren’t horrid but not so good. Attempted a couple more whole30’s but caved for my beloved coffee with cream.

My goals are to lose weight around my middle, improve my chronic cough, have more energy, eliminate my dairy addiction, and get my blood sugar readings back in normal range,  and do a great reintroduction so I really know what are healthy choices for me.

A little about me:

77 year old female.  Married (my husband is doing the W30 with me)  Not overweight but heading that way.  My am weight today was 147.  5’4 .5” Want to lose a few lbs especially around my middle.  Diagnosed Type 2 diabetic a few years ago but managed to reverse the disease by severely restricting sugar and starchy foods like grains.  

Day 1 meals

M1  2 large eggs scrambled in clarified butter with leftover broccoli and Swiss chard, salt and pepper.  Black tea.

M2  large salad of romaine lettuce, chicken, storebought broccoli salad with cashew nuts and homemade salad dressing made with olive oil, sesame oil, vinegar, large pinch of salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.  Delicious and filling.

haven’t had third meal yet but plan on pork ribs (no sauce) and several cooked veggies with clarified butter. 

Good luck to you all and may the force be with you.  We are stronger than food cravings.

Welcome @GayleG and @Artistcam! I'm so happy to have even more people in our little support/accountability group!

I second @GayleG's website recommendation for making homemade mayo. The Whole30 books all state that you should slowly drizzle in the oil as you are blending. I hate doing that. I'm too impatient and it's too awkward. You can definitely make delicious mayo just dumping it all in and blending. So yeah, follow that advice! 

Archived