Whole 30 First Timer- January 5 Start Date

Annakathryn215

@Abi Labrador I didn't know you were from Scotland! I had a chance to visit once and it was amazing! All those castles... :-) And the Isle of Skye! Wow! 

Regarding the snacking... That's a tough one, don't be too hard on yourself. I believe it's common to snack the first week, as you figure out your meal sizes and fat content. It's also a good thing to experiment and learn! That's the whole point of the program! Just keep trying to increase your portion sizes but snack if you need it! Better to have a snack that to go nine hours without eating like I did! Perhaps consider trying some sort of meat/fat combo though? I like to make a small chicken breast and cut it into cubes to have on hand as a snack. Even a handful of those with your nuts might be more ideal! 

I'm so grateful I didn't have a tea or coffee tendency before Whole30 because that sounds like a super hard one to overcome! Keep hanging in there! 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! Day six is almost done. 

Sundypay and Monday I was feeling very bloated, then remember from the timeline that this could happen with all the veggies. Today I felt back to normal. 

Yesterday I knew was going to be a long day at work. I started at 3am and finished at 5:30pm. I brought all my food and snacks with me. Despite being really tired, I didn’t have any cravings and wasn’t tempted by the donuts thAt were brought in. 

Have a good night!

Add one more to the Newbie group. I started on January 3rd so today is one week in. I’m 53 so  what was so easy for me before is not now and I’ve slowly put on at least 30 lbs. Quit smoking 2 years ago too which probably added a few lbs. Hoping for the added bonuses that I’ve read about too. Tonight I HAVE to go to a sushi/hibachi restaurant for son’s bday dinner so actually a little nervous if I can find ANYTHING to eat there. I’ve been eating a lot of homemade soup this past week and hoping I made it correctly though the chicken breasts I put in it were store-seasoned. 

I’m rambling..... I’m very hopeful and appreciative to have found others novices to lean on occasionally

Add one more yet to this group. My wife and I started our first Whole 30 on Jan 5th. I'm 44, and lost a bunch of weight 8 years ago, but have steadily been putting it back on over time. Work and school stress over the last year put another 25 lbs back on accompanied by low energy and high blood pressure. 

I am hoping for new energy and the feeling of being back on track to a healthy me. Today is day 7, and fatigue has been a challenge. Especially first thing in morning and at 3 pm.  

Today we're adding prosciutto to morning scramble. No luck finding sugar free bacon so far.

Anyway, I am excited to be a part of this with all of you. Happy day 7!

@Jane G Welcome to the group! How did the birthday party at the sushi restaurant go? Hopefully you found something compliant! I think I've done sashimi in the past when out at a sushi restaurant. Very plain (especially since I couldn't even dip it in a sauce) but it was something I could eat! 

@Blackcreekrob Welcome to you as well! We love to have more people! I'm definitely feeling the fatigue right now too! Hopefully it'll pass for us all soon and we'll start getting some of that incredible energy everyone talks about! Enjoy your prosciutto with your scramble this morning!

@Erinmhess Congrats on not even feeling tempted by those donuts and on generally not feeling cravings! That's a big accomplishment already! 

Well said @kirbz Welcome to all the newbies.  Liking the prosciutto idea @Blackcreekrob- though I'm still finding pesky nitrates and sulphites in cured meats everywhere, will keep searching.  My top tip for today is a tablespoon of dry roasted pine nuts  - I just fry them for a minute or two in a dry pan then add to salads, scrambled eggs, anything.  They add a nice nuttiness and a bit of heft to an otherwise unexciting salad! Really good with sweet potato too.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Abi Labrador said:

I'm still finding pesky nitrates and sulphites in cured meats everywhere

Nitrates are actually okay for whole30, though obviously if you want to avoid them, that is totally fine. 

I'm not sure about there, but here, most deli or cured meats, if you do find some that are compliant, end up being pretty expensive, so they're not necessarily something to depend on anyway.

Any time I have completed a whole 30 I have lost between 10 and 14 pounds.  My clothes fit much better without a bloated belly.  I admit to having previously checked a scale during a whole 30 but am absolutely not this time.  I am focusing on the non-scale victories.  On day 5, what I notice most is less inflammation and I feel happier.  That's worth a lot!

Just now, Betina said:

Any time I have completed a whole 30 I have lost between 10 and 14 pounds.  My clothes fit much better without a bloated belly.  I admit to having previously checked a scale during a whole 30 but am absolutely not this time.  I am focusing on the non-scale victories.  On day 5, what I notice most is less inflammation and I feel happier.  That's worth a lot!

On 1/7/2018 at 6:19 PM, lilliegirl said:

Hi ladies, On day 2 and feeling fine. No headaches, and no major cravings.

I am a little discouraged, I have been searching the forums and I've read several times that Whole30 isn't considered a weight loss diet. As much as I do want to form healthy eating habits and cleanse my gut of all the junk I've been consuming, I must say that weight loss is a big part of me looking for an eating plan.  Maybe I'm just getting into my head, but I feel like at the end of my 30 days I really want to see a decrease on that scale! 

I am thinking maybe this isn't the right plan for me? or I am psyching myself out and making excuses why I shouldn't be committed to 30 days? 

Does anyone have any weight loss success in addition to feeling better overall at the end of the Whole30? I feel like even those it has only been two days I am eating sooo healthy and can't imagine that some weight isn't going to come off.....

2 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Nitrates are actually okay for whole30, though obviously if you want to avoid them, that is totally fine. 

I'm not sure about there, but here, most deli or cured meats, if you do find some that are compliant, end up being pretty expensive, so they're not necessarily something to depend on anyway.

Ah, I was stupidly confusing nitrates with sulphites which are not allowed - these are found even in the upmarket organic stuff sold in supermarkets here.  I will try local delis but not sure they would even know what I was talking about it.  And yes, I agree, the cost can be extortionate.  

Ok, Hello Day 8!

Woke up this morning with lots of energy.  Such a welcome feeling after dragging myself around yesterday. Anyone with breakfast/meal 1 ideas, fire them my way.

Congrats to all of us on completing a full week (and probably the hardest week at that). I am also excited it's Friday! I teach in a middle school and the first week back after winter break is challenging. 

Happy Friday everyone!

Hey All! 

Happy Day 7 or 8 everyone!  I was feeling pretty good days 1-4 but last couple of days I've been dealing with fatigue and 'Kill all The Things' at the same time!  I'm hoping I'm coming out the other side though.  I've definitely seen other NSVs; my complexion is looking brighter, I have more focus, and (other than recent bouts out 'Kill all The Things' I've had a better attitude too!  I've had a few cravings but nothing drinking some water hasn't fixed.

Making a new Chicken Lo-Mein recipie tonight using spaghetti squash.  I'll let you all know how it turns out!

@Blackcreekrob WH30 approved bacon is one of the most amazing things!  I really like the Pederson Farms brand I found at Whole Foods.  You can also order from their website (below).  I've also gotten sugar-free bacon and other really great grass-fed & free-range meat from Butcher Box.  The subscription service is a bit expensive but really convenient and they send cuts that I wouldn't necessarily pick up that keeps things interesting.  The are actually running a campaign right now where you can get free bacon in every box for a year.  When my mom & sister were doing WH30 I think they said that Kirkland's reduced sodium bacon at Costco was also sugar free.

http://pedersonsfarms.com/

https://www.butcherbox.com/yearofbacon/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=OCKB-Brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImdiElNPS2AIVB57ACh29wwe5EAAYASAAEgLqYPD_BwE

@Betina great job staying off that scale!  And great NSVs!!

Have a great Friday everyone!

Hello fellow W30 adventurers. Here we are starting our second week.

Feeling good. Sleeping longer. Dairy dragon under control.  Not obsessing over missing my coffee with cream.  My husband is drinking his coffee black so we don’t have cream in the house which helps me.  Tea is working as a creamy coffee replacement  

Yesterday a bit strange for meal timing.   We went to art show and walked around for hours.  I had eaten eggs and sausage for a late breakfast but needed to get some fruit at the show since I was feeling faint.  The food choices were very limited and mostly not Whole30, but I spied the fresh fruit cup and even though it was very overpriced it looked fresh. It was delicious and did the trick. Felt  good after eating the fruit and was able to continue enjoying the show  

Late m2 at a Mexican seafood restaurant - large fish filet over a salad. I skipped the dressing since I remembered their dressing had sugar.  Delicious and satisfying meal. Salad had avocado, mixed lettuces, tomato, onion, and tangerine.  I didn’t eat the small amount of cheese that I found in the salad.

M3 - didn’t feel hungry but had a lettuce wrap taco at home with leftover steak and avocado. It was good and kept me from late night hunger.

I definitely feel I have gotten over the hump with dairy cravings.  We are both enjoying the food choices.  Today we are going grocery shopping to replenish our supplies - mahi-mahi, yams, berries, nuts, squash, green tea, sugar-free bacon and whatever else looks good.  Probably some broccoli since we are both loving our broccoli salads.  

I lost weight on my first W30 and continued to lose weight for several months afterward.  It wasn’t my reason to do this plan but was a happy side effect.  A great majority lose weight naturally as their health improves but weight loss is not the focus of Whole30.  

Hey all, congrats on entering into week 2! 

I'm sorry I haven't been around much--this week has felt a bit crazy to me, even though it really wasn't all things considered. 

I did so much planning last Saturday and then they all got messed up as some wrenches got thrown in, like my 5 lb pork shoulder took over a day longer to defrost than I thought and I forgot to get parchment paper at the grocery store, which delayed one of my planned recipes. But I had enough food options around i was able to stay on plan without too much trouble. And I have to say once I did get that big hunk of meat cooked, I loved just having it around that I could grab and add to random things as well as planned recipes. And I still have a lot left I can freeze. Last time I did prep, but usually whatever I cooked was used up pretty quickly (or saved for) actual recipes. 

I'm glad a I get a lot of my food delivered to my house one way or another because I find the grocery store to be one of the most tempting places out there! 

I feel like crap this afternoon. I don't think I had enough healthy fat today. And I know I haven't been drinking enough water. I'm also not sleeping well, but I think that has more to do with the extra stress and anxiety I'm putting on myself for a personal project/goal/dream that's completely unrelated.

So when I get home, I'm definitely going to whip up some ranch dressing and eat a bunch of celery sticks with my dinner. 

On 12/01/2018 at 6:39 AM, Sarah_MT said:

Hey All! 

Happy Day 7 or 8 everyone!  I was feeling pretty good days 1-4 but last couple of days I've been dealing with fatigue and 'Kill all The Things' at the same time!  I'm hoping I'm coming out the other side though.  I've definitely seen other NSVs; my complexion is looking brighter, I have more focus, and (other than recent bouts out 'Kill all The Things' I've had a better attitude too!  I've had a few cravings but nothing drinking some water hasn't fixed.

Making a new Chicken Lo-Mein recipie tonight using spaghetti squash.  I'll let you all know how it turns out!

@Blackcreekrob WH30 approved bacon is one of the most amazing things!  I really like the Pederson Farms brand I found at Whole Foods.  You can also order from their website (below).  I've also gotten sugar-free bacon and other really great grass-fed & free-range meat from Butcher Box.  The subscription service is a bit expensive but really convenient and they send cuts that I wouldn't necessarily pick up that keeps things interesting.  The are actually running a campaign right now where you can get free bacon in every box for a year.  When my mom & sister were doing WH30 I think they said that Kirkland's reduced sodium bacon at Costco was also sugar free.

http://pedersonsfarms.com/

https://www.butcherbox.com/yearofbacon/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=OCKB-Brand&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImdiElNPS2AIVB57ACh29wwe5EAAYASAAEgLqYPD_BwE

@Betina great job staying off that scale!  And great NSVs!!

Have a great Friday everyone!

Thanks for the tips Sarah. You were right Kirkland low sodium bacon is whole30 compliant. Good find!

Did our second big grocery shop yesterday. It's too bad that eating healthy is so expensive. I'm thankful that I can afford it, and yes it's worth it.

Struggled with cravings last night immensely. Had Chicken Pot Pie soup (Paleo recipe) for dinner, and must have waited too long to eat because, I never really felt full. A Lara bar and a banana finally did the trick.

How is everyone else doing?

9 hours ago, Blackcreekrob said:

Thanks for the tips Sarah. You were right Kirkland low sodium bacon is whole30 compliant. Good find!

Did our second big grocery shop yesterday. It's too bad that eating healthy is so expensive. I'm thankful that I can afford it, and yes it's worth it.

Struggled with cravings last night immensely. Had Chicken Pot Pie soup (Paleo recipe) for dinner, and must have waited too long to eat because, I never really felt full. A Lara bar and a banana finally did the trick.

How is everyone else doing?

I'm  doing well! I'm on Day 11, and the only notable thing I did to mess up was eat bacon and sausage at a non-organic restaurant on Day 4.

Days 10/11 everybody...woo!  These might be 'The Hardest Days' but I know we've got this!  This weekend was tough for me...felt really snacky for some reason and didn't get all my meal prep done for the week.  Still stayed on plan though and I'm happy to get back to my work routine today.  Wish me luck on my meal prep tonight!  Still need to make beef stir fry and cauliflower/yam chowder.

How did everyone else do this weekend?

3 hours ago, Sarah_MT said:

Days 10/11 everybody...woo!  These might be 'The Hardest Days' but I know we've got this!  This weekend was tough for me...felt really snacky for some reason and didn't get all my meal prep done for the week.  Still stayed on plan though and I'm happy to get back to my work routine today.  Wish me luck on my meal prep tonight!  Still need to make beef stir fry and cauliflower/yam chowder.

How did everyone else do this weekend?

@Sarah_MT that chowder sounds awesome! Do you have a recipe to share?

@Erinmhess I used a recipe from Real Plans but I found the same one at the link below.  The Real Plans recipe adds 2c cooked chicken but you could also leave the chicken out and serve with whatever protein you like (grilled chicken, steak, pork chops...it all sounds good).  I add diced green onions and bacon to the top before serving.  It is REALLY yummy and satisfying!

If you try it let me know what you think!

https://iheartumami.com/cauliflower-yam-cream-chowder/

1 hour ago, Sarah_MT said:

@Erinmhess I used a recipe from Real Plans but I found the same one at the link below.  The Real Plans recipe adds 2c cooked chicken but you could also leave the chicken out and serve with whatever protein you like (grilled chicken, steak, pork chops...it all sounds good).  I add diced green onions and bacon to the top before serving.  It is REALLY yummy and satisfying!

If you try it let me know what you think!

https://iheartumami.com/cauliflower-yam-cream-chowder/

Thank you! That looks delicious!

Hi all!

I had a long week, but I stayed compliant! Wahoo! I am trying to do some meal planning, and everything is starting to look the same. All the pictures of meat and veggies looks very unappealing! I have entered the food boredom phase for sure! I had no desire to go shopping for dinner tonight, so I rummaged to find something. An apple, almond butter, carrot sticks, compliant ranch dressing and some nuts. Not exactly a picture perfect template meal, but it did the job.

I have yet to notice an increase in energy, which was one of my reasons for doing Whole30. I am not about to give up, just a little frustrated is all. I work long hours on my feet, and it is hard to get more than 6 1/2 hours of sleep at night. I know the lack of sleep isn't helping, but that has been the norm for a while now. 

I would love to hear some NSV's. I haven't seen too many myself, but I may be looking for the big ones and missing the small ones. I was hoping your NSV's would help me see mine as well!

@Erinmhess I don't think you're eating enough!  That dinner would be a snack for me :)  Keep going but maybe try and roast a chicken (I am finding it's helpful to have in the fridge generally) - will last for several days.  I am also quite up and down in terms of energy levels.  Still experiencing turbulent digestion and a lot of bloating and fighting off a cold but it's definitely easier to get out of bed in the morning.  My other NSVs include hair and skin looking at lot better.  I feel calmer and much less likely to snap at my kids - this is a big one for me. Also somehow able to eat more mindfully; I seem less likely to absentmindedly snack on leftovers as I'm clearing up.  I nibbled on some roasted butternut squash from the fridge in a weak moment and in fact found it way too sweet on its own - it was like eating fudge! I found that interesting, like my tastebuds are really getting used to not having sugary stuff.  Have to say though I am still probably snacking too much on fruit and nuts.  But I get very hungry towards the end of the evening and can't get to sleep if I'm hungry (that's my excuse anyway).  Stay strong, Erin!

4 hours ago, Abi Labrador said:

@Erinmhess I don't think you're eating enough!  That dinner would be a snack for me :)  Keep going but maybe try and roast a chicken (I am finding it's helpful to have in the fridge generally) - will last for several days.  I am also quite up and down in terms of energy levels.  Still experiencing turbulent digestion and a lot of bloating and fighting off a cold but it's definitely easier to get out of bed in the morning.  My other NSVs include hair and skin looking at lot better.  I feel calmer and much less likely to snap at my kids - this is a big one for me. Also somehow able to eat more mindfully; I seem less likely to absentmindedly snack on leftovers as I'm clearing up.  I nibbled on some roasted butternut squash from the fridge in a weak moment and in fact found it way too sweet on its own - it was like eating fudge! I found that interesting, like my tastebuds are really getting used to not having sugary stuff.  Have to say though I am still probably snacking too much on fruit and nuts.  But I get very hungry towards the end of the evening and can't get to sleep if I'm hungry (that's my excuse anyway).  Stay strong, Erin!

Thank you @Abi Labrador! Last night’s dinner was definitely a desperation dinner with nothing much in the house. I too am watching my mindless eating, especially as I clean up after a meal. 

Sorry for the lack of Posts everyone, it's been a BUSY week...and COLD!  Dallas, TX isn't supposed to see temps in the teens!

How is everyone doing on their days 13/14?  For me I made it through the dangerous Days 10 & 11 but today I'm just not feeling hungry (also a stage I went through last time).  Not total food boredom because I'm eating new recipes today.  Just don't feel really hungry...for anything! (even the delicious looking mega cookies left over from a company lunch today...oatmeal raisin is typically my weakness!).

What is everyone else feeling?  @Abi Labrador, @Erinmhess, @kirbz, @Linwe, @Blackcreekrob, @GayleG, @Artistcam, @Betina, @Jane G, @BeeSC, @lilliegirl, @Sjc123...and anyone else following this thread...:D

Archived