Whole 30 First Timer- January 5 Start Date

Annakathryn215

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting one day behind you all!  Committing to tomorrow, January 6 which means my 30th day will be Sunday February 6 (yes I've already counted ahead!).  We're having out of town guests arrive for a conference the week I'll be re-introducing various foods.  So the timing works.  I did some prelim shopping today, but have more prep work to do, but even so, I have enough info to get started!  So here I am!

I'm 51 and have been working out 3 days a week since mid-November.  But if I want to see change, I need to change the way I relate to food.  It's hard having teens in the house and a hubby who can't live w/o his Lucky Charms.  But I need to find my will-power.  As I've entered this new decade my weight  just isn't as easy to maintain.  Time to say good bye to excuses and poor choices so I can feel good about myself again.  

Lets do it!

9 hours ago, kirbz said:

@Erinmhess Most varieties of GT's kombucha are compliant... I know it's a common source of confusion, so make sure you're looking at the ingredient list when looking for sugar and not the nutrition panel. Most GT's kombucha has 6-8 grams of naturally occurring sugar but they don't add any extra sugar so it's compliant. 

I hope that helps! My favorite is the Gingerade. :-) 

Thank you @kirbz! Everything I’ve found so far has sugar in the ingredients. I’ll keep looking!

8 hours ago, Linwe said:

Hi everyone! I’m loving reading all the updates!

i had a successful day one. I work at a restaurant, and am usually nibble all day long. I was surprised to recognize how many times I would have normally reached for this or that, but today I chose not to. I passed up hot chocolat and candy that was offered to me. 

Not really looking forward to the sugar hangover that is said to happen for the next couple days, but, “this too shall pass.”

Congrats on finishing Day 1 everyone! 

I started off the day strong with a 3.1 mile hike, which left me feeling happy and ready to take this on. I'm doing this for health so physical activity is going to be an important part of this journey for me. 

My meals were interesting and filling. I've done this once before and felt I lacked in leafy green vegetables so I'm trying to eat lots and lots of those this time around. Here's what I ate: 

• Meal 1 : Bacon Spinach Tomato Breakfast Salad (from the Whole30 Cookbook) – three poached eggs served over a very large handful of spinach with 1.5 strips of crumbled bacon, cherry tomatoes, ½ avocado, and homemade dressing   
  • Meal 2: wild Alaskan salmon filet with BBQ sauce, lemon, and Spice Cave Sea seasoning; 1/2 small bag of steamed carrots; large handful of herb salad mix with 1/2 avocado, 1/3 cucumber, and Primal Kitchen Caesar dressing
  • Meal 3: three pulled pork “tacos” with Costco pulled pork, homemade mayo, 1/2 avocado, and Yai’s Thai salsa, served in romaine lettuce

@kirbz your meals sound delicious - especially the pork tacos - thanks for sharing!  I have to say Day 2 just started for me with a big headache and feeling exhausted despite 8 hours good sleep! I'm really glad the book warns you about this.  My struggle so far is the big breakfast meal thing - I don't usually have anything until later in the morning - always fruit and toast, sometimes an egg.  I made myself have spinach mushrooms and eggs (so craved something crunchy and bread based to go with!) pretty much first thing as I was hungry, but found it hard to stomach.  Might have to experiment a bit with breakfast I think.  I definitely couldn't face last night's dinner's leftovers as per the Week 1 meal plan suggestion  (which I'm trying to follow).

Getting used to black coffee though. Black tea doesn't work for me so sticking with herbal first thing. 

@BeeSC Welcome - we are a similar age and I also have teenagers in the house so I do think that makes it an extra challenge for us - I have removed all the treats I can (except my beloved bread which the kids cannot live without), but know for a fact there is a massive chocolate bar in my younger son's room left over from Christmas.  Trying to ignore the fact . . .

Good luck to all whatever day you're on . . . we absolutely can do this!

First timer here, today is my first day on Whole30. I am already scared, but committed. I am 34 years old, 3 young children, and I have gained 10 pounds in 2 years. For my small frame, this is a lot for me.  The wine at night with the combination of pretzels and chocolate, EVERY NIGHT, is unacceptable. 

Hoping that Whole30 will help with these cravings. Have my shopping done, and warned my family about the crankiness that might ensue. Already missing my coffee with half and half. I have read some posts that unsweetened almond milk is allowed, and others that say its a no-no. Any thoughts?

@Abi Labrador I really, really struggled with breakfast too on my first round. I would quite literally gag with every bite. There were a couple of times I almost threw up. I came to find that I could not do eggs first-thing in the morning. Grilled chicken and steamed vegetables are what worked for me! Definitely keep experimenting and try things that aren't typically normal breakfast foods. That might really help! 

I'm just eating breakfast and then will probably go snowboard for a few hours. :- ) We got some fresh powder last night! 

Happy Day 2 everyone!

Even with arctic cold in my rea of the country and even being down with a bad cold i am still flying high and not caving in. Loved my breakfast of poched eggs, roasted potato and sauteed kale today.

Big struggle is finding a compliant hot sauce, one with no sugar or stabilizers added...

I thought my heat was broken this morning, so that delayed my day 2 breakfast to more like brunch time. Fortunately, the batteries to my thermostat just needed replacing.

Breakfast was eggs with green pepper and salsa, lunch was a salad with turkey, Asian pears and persimmon.

Dinner will be shrimp with romesco and roasted artichokes.

And before you ask about the ingredients which I consider pretty exotic (at least for me) I do this produce subscription thing with a company who rescues food that would otherwise go to waste. So I get some random stuff but I like planning food after I know what I have rather than starting totally from scratch.

Happy day 2 everyone! Keep it up. 

On 1/5/2018 at 10:56 AM, kirbz said:

@Erinmhess Most varieties of GT's kombucha are compliant... I know it's a common source of confusion, so make sure you're looking at the ingredient list when looking for sugar and not the nutrition panel. Most GT's kombucha has 6-8 grams of naturally occurring sugar but they don't add any extra sugar so it's compliant. 

I hope that helps! My favorite is the Gingerade. :-) 

I agree!  Love the Gingerade and the Cosmic Cranberry

Hey All!

Hoping I can join this thread and encourage each other!   My start date was today (Jan 6th).  I'd plan to start on the first but a bout of the flu cancelled those plans :(.  I'm feeling better now though and excited for the next 30 days!

This will by my 3rd Whole30.  I definitely found a good group that communicates and supports each other is SUPER helpful in reaching 30 days.  

The benefits of my past 2 rounds of Whole30 are too numerous to mention!  Top on the list was better energy, better sleep, better mood (seriously...I was Happier!!), more drive, more focus...the list goes on.

One of the most surprising things I noticed was overall increased PRESENCE in my own life.  By being mindful about what I ate and how it made me feel I became SO much more aware and just simply 'present'.  There were hard days, easy days, bored days, angry days but through it all I savored each experience and grew to enjoy different things in my life (one of which was listening to 80's music and 90's hip/hop during meal prep...its seriously great, I recommend it!)

Great job to everyone on their Day 2/Day 1, stay strong!

Oh, and for those newbies...make sure you take pictures now at the start of your Whole30!  Face and body shots...I saw SUCH a difference in the previous rounds I did...regardless of what the scale said it was awesome to see physically how much I changed in just 30 days!

Sarah

Hi everyone!

i completed day two with success! My days are long, and despite being full from each meal, I get hungry in between. I’m already sick of hard boiled egg and avocado as a snack. I work in a restaurant, so I’m constantly moving. Any suggestions for easy snacks I could bring to work?

Welcome @Sarah_MT! Glad you are over the flu and joining us!

On to day three!

@Erinmhess re: snacks, I think this is where nuts come in (also I like the crunch and texture with all the avo and egg going on elsewhere!). Just 4 Brazil nuts is very filling and also you get a good selenium fix. I also like cashews but personally find almonds indigestible. I have a handful of blueberries with and this is my go to snack, though I’m trying not to snack - although like you I’m getting a bit hungry between meals, especially late at night (a dangerous time for me). 

May I join in?  I actually started on Jan. 6.  I have completed several whole 30's (and started some I didn't finish).  I always love how I feel after 30 days but quickly fall into bad habits.  It has been a stressful teaching year for me as well and I have gained over 20 pounds.  I have chronic pain issues, reflux, and allergies and all have gotten much worse over the year.

Made one of my favorite WH30 recipes for lunch today...Sonoma Chicken Salad.  The freshness of the herbs, sweetness of the grapes, creaminess of the avocado...it's awesome.  I made a big batch for lunches this week.  I leave out the avocado until I'm ready to eat each portion (1/2 avocado) and serve over a good helping of spinach.

I got from Real Plans but you can also get the recipe below...

https://whole30.com/2015/01/best-whole30-recipes-keep-simple-sweetheart/

If anyone tries it let me know what you think!

@Erinmhess I also like an apple and almond butter or cashew butter for a snack.  Nick's Sticks also makes some good WH30 approved jerky sticks.  If you need something more substantial I've had RX Bars (be careful...not all flavors are WH30 compliant).  I've ordered them online but also seen them at Trader Joes.

On 1/6/2018 at 5:01 AM, Abi Labrador said:

@kirbz your meals sound delicious - especially the pork tacos - thanks for sharing!  I have to say Day 2 just started for me with a big headache and feeling exhausted despite 8 hours good sleep! I'm really glad the book warns you about this.  My struggle so far is the big breakfast meal thing - I don't usually have anything until later in the morning - always fruit and toast, sometimes an egg.  I made myself have spinach mushrooms and eggs (so craved something crunchy and bread based to go with!) pretty much first thing as I was hungry, but found it hard to stomach.  Might have to experiment a bit with breakfast I think.  I definitely couldn't face last night's dinner's leftovers as per the Week 1 meal plan suggestion  (which I'm trying to follow

Getting used to black coffee though. Black tea doesn't work for me so sticking with herbal first thing. 

@BeeSC Welcome - we are a similar age and I also have teenagers in the house so I do think that makes it an extra challenge for us - I have removed all the treats I can (except my beloved bread which the kids cannot live without), but know for a fact there is a massive chocolate bar in my younger son's room left over from Christmas.  Trying to ignore the fact . . .

Good luck to all whatever day you're on . . . we absolutely can do this!

Thanks Abi!  On Day 2 and I just secured two shelves in the pantry for my compliant foods.  Don't even have to open the other side where the junk food is!  Good for you for going a step further and getting rid of it!  Looking forward to some positive changes!

Ok. Day 3.

I may have a mild case of the flu rather than a bad food reaction. Sore throat this am but achyness much better. To help my throat I had a tiny bit of honey in my tea (doctor advice) and it feels better now. Will continue with 1/5 start date for W30 since Melissa says doctor advice trumps Whole30 rules.  Otherwise compliant.

haven't missed coffee with cream.  My nemesis.

Hope everyone is doing well.  Best wishes. Eat lots of vegetables. 

@Sarah_MT, welcome! I was also planning to start on the first but got held up with a nasty cold. So here we are! :-)

@Betina Of course you can join! The more support, accountability, and camaraderie, the better! I've also completed a Whole30 but fell into bad habits not long after. I'm intending for this one to shape a lifelong way of healthy eating!

@Erinmhess Ideally, I believe it's recommended that snacks are fat and protein, if needed. Large quantities of nuts and seeds can bother a lot of people (of course, this Whole30 is your experiment so do as you like!). I like Safe Catch tuna. They come in flavored packages now so I can literally eat it straight out of the can dipped in some homemade mayo. I'll also sometimes cook up some chicken and cut it into cubes and store, which I can then use as a grab-and-go-snack with some avocado or guacamole. I also stock Wild Zora meat and veggie bars as my emergency snack since they don't mess with my sugar dragon (like Lara Bars or RX Bars do). 

20 hours ago, Sarah_MT said:

Hey All!

Hoping I can join this thread and encourage each other!   My start date was today (Jan 6th).  I'd plan to start on the first but a bout of the flu cancelled those plans :(.  I'm feeling better now though and excited for the next 30 days!

This will by my 3rd Whole30.  I definitely found a good group that communicates and supports each other is SUPER helpful in reaching 30 days.  

The benefits of my past 2 rounds of Whole30 are too numerous to mention!  Top on the list was better energy, better sleep, better mood (seriously...I was Happier!!), more drive, more focus...the list goes on.

One of the most surprising things I noticed was overall increased PRESENCE in my own life.  By being mindful about what I ate and how it made me feel I became SO much more aware and just simply 'present'.  There were hard days, easy days, bored days, angry days but through it all I savored each experience and grew to enjoy different things in my life (one of which was listening to 80's music and 90's hip/hop during meal prep...its seriously great, I recommend it!)

Great job to everyone on their Day 2/Day 1, stay strong!

Oh, and for those newbies...make sure you take pictures now at the start of your Whole30!  Face and body shots...I saw SUCH a difference in the previous rounds I did...regardless of what the scale said it was awesome to see physically how much I changed in just 30 days!

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Thanks so much for your really encouraging post - very inspirational for us newbies. I’m struggling still with headaches and lack of energy but finding things ok food wise. I’m possibly over doing the fruit (today a tangerine, apple and handful of berries) - 3 portions spread over the day but I think the rules say one a day? Should I try and cut that down - what do the veterans say?

@Abi Labrador one of the biggest pieces of advice I got from the WH30 books and from this forum is not quite as much the quantity of fruit (though you definitely don't want to overdo it) but HOW and WHEN you're eating it.  If you are eating fruit by itself for a snack (without protein or fat) or, more importantly, if you're eating it to appease your sugar dragon then it's not within the spirit of WH30.  

Doesn't sound to me like you're eating too much fruit, especially if you are a pretty active person.  I don't think the extra sugar would effect too much physically but it could be impacting your mental focus and habits.  

If you think this might be you and you're reaching for fruit to combat mid-afternoon crankiness or for something sweet after dinner then I'd maybe forgo until later in your WH30 when you've conquered cravings.  If you're eating fruit as part of your meal with plenty of veggies as well then I think it should be fine.

Once the moderators catch up on all the threads they might be able to confirm and offer additional advice.  

Any other Alums have thoughts?

Hi ladies, On day 2 and feeling fine. No headaches, and no major cravings.

I am a little discouraged, I have been searching the forums and I've read several times that Whole30 isn't considered a weight loss diet. As much as I do want to form healthy eating habits and cleanse my gut of all the junk I've been consuming, I must say that weight loss is a big part of me looking for an eating plan.  Maybe I'm just getting into my head, but I feel like at the end of my 30 days I really want to see a decrease on that scale! 

I am thinking maybe this isn't the right plan for me? or I am psyching myself out and making excuses why I shouldn't be committed to 30 days? 

Does anyone have any weight loss success in addition to feeling better overall at the end of the Whole30? I feel like even those it has only been two days I am eating sooo healthy and can't imagine that some weight isn't going to come off.....

Archived