Whole 30 First Timer- January 5 Start Date

Annakathryn215

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2018 at 1:48 PM, Abi Labrador said:

Can I get really honest opinions about whether this seems like a lot because I find the plate template thing hard to get my head around, and have no idea if this is way more than everyone else is eating??

Too much fruit, nuts, and nut butter.  You mentioned earlier in this thread not wanting to prop up your sugar cravings -- unfortunately the reality is that's what fruit and nut snacking does.  Add more fat to your meals -- that will help with satiety, and keep you from reinforcing those dopamine pathways that light up with sugar consumption.

Thanks @kirkor - the sugar/fruit connection makes sense, but I thought nuts/nut butters WERE fat? Not sure how else to add fat except for avocados. I know what you mean about the dopamine effect, though, and my snacking tendencies on nut butter is undeniable, but any further suggestions to add healthy fat to meals would be very welcome.  Thanks for taking the time to comment!  I''m only 3 days off completion and totally not craving anything, which I'm thrilled about, but may end up doing a Whole45 while my digestion still calms down.

Yes nuts are in the category of fat for Whole30 purposes (as opposed to a protein, vegetable, or fruit), but the recommendation is to limit them: the "one closed handful per meal" pretty much only applies to a single meal on a given day.  And nut butter, being pureed, represents a greater quantity of raw nuts.  It's partly for the snackiness/Food Without Brakes aspect that nuts have (they really are hyperpalatable for most people), but also they have inflammatory properties, they are skewed more heavily towards Omega 6 fats as opposed to Omega 3s, and can be a gut irritant for some folks.

For adding fat, using sauces like mayo, ranch, and pesto (might be a good bridge for you) can help. Use recipes with coconut milk (coconuts are drupes not nuts, like peach or olive). Add olives as accompaniments to meals. Be more liberal in your use of ghee and olive oil in cooking.

I'm on Day 29, and I'm still craving carbs, chocolate or dairy every now and then...however, the Number One biggest tool that helped me stave off the cravings was eating grass-rasied eggs and/or Bubbies-brand pickles. Although you can't fool your mind, you can fool your body. ;)

I am using Simply Organic Pure Vanilla Extract.  

Dang it! I just checked the label and it says alcohol is a ingredient(to extract the vanilla from the bean).  No sugar!  So now just cinnamon in my coffee.  The first thing I am introducing will be dairy so I can have some cream in my coffee!   Not quitting because of the vanilla.  I am not a alcohol drinker normally and won’t start it because of a 1/8 teaspoon of vanilla.  

Isn’t amazing how sugar, grain, and other off plan ingredients are in the most innocent seeming food!  

For Trader Joe’s fans - my husband got a delicious, compliant Green Goddess salad dressing which has great compliant ingredients.  It is in a refrigerated section.  Highly recommended  he says there are other flavors but have only tried the Green Goddess.

just a few more days officially, though sounds like some of you may continue longer.  Good on you, as my Aussie cousin would say  or maybe,  Bloody great!

Oh man, had a dream last night that I was really stressed (some truth to that) and I was bringing some pizzas to my class,  and without thinking I chowrd down on 1 1/2 pieces, and then in the dream I remembered I was on whole30, so I tried to spit it out.

Too funny!

Happy day 28 everyone!

Day 28/29!  Woo!!

Havent checked in awhile (things have been crazy busy) but I'm still sticking with it.  Glad to hear everyone else sticking with it too...even when it's been tough!

My NSVs are off the charts right now; more energy, better skin, better hair, clothes fitting SO much better, really focused, more productive, easy to turn down cravings...in general, I'm just in a better mood!  I'm actually just plain happier!

Sounds like y'all are feeling some of the benefits too.  What other things have you guys noticed?

I'm still planning to keep going after Day 30 and push to a Whole45 before I do reintroduction.  Anybody else extending?  If not, what are your plans for reintroduction?

OH, and @Blackcreekrob I have TOTALLY had those dreams where you eat something off plan and feel incredibly guilty.  It's such a relief when I wake up to realized I hadn't spoiled all my hard work.

Hi everyone.

I previously mentioned that I tried the W30 ranch dressing but wasn’crazy about it.  Tried some of that first batch again today and quite liked it.  The vinegar taste mellowed while sitting in the refrigerator.  Yummy. 

Just a couple more days to go.  

@Sarah_MT I'm with you!  Believe it not, yesterday (I think I'm in a different time zone in Scotland from most of you) which was my Day 30, I finally woke up to feeling fantastic - Tiger Blood indeed, on the very last day!  Also started taking digestive enzymes which has massively helped with all those digestive issues. I'd been so excited about checking the scale today and do you know what, I'm not even interested.  So, yes, @Sarah_MT I am going to join you on a Whole45 before checking weight and reintroduction.  Just had a breakfast that I would have found so weird a month ago, but now I'd miss my sweet potato, spinach, eggs and parma ham! Also, I'm actually quite fearful about how I will react to a slice of bread or piece of cheese (these are very much my trigger foods, not anything sugary) in terms of not being able to stop.  So a couple more weeks re-balancing will be a good thing for me, I think. For the record, my NSVs include: better skin, brighter eyes (people have commented on this), massive improvement in dimpled skin (cellulite) - a welcome surprise, that one; more energy, especially first thing in the morning, generally feeling calmer and more mindful, more patient and less likely to have mood swings.  Given the menopause, these last elements are very important to me.  Also just feeling more in control of food - the cravings pretty much disappeared or were at least easier to sidestep than ever before.

Love to hear how my fellow Jan 5-ers are evaluating today.  We did it!!

@POhio well to do a full reintro it will be at least another week before you should have a combo of bagel + cream cheese.  Reintro dairy first with some cream in your coffee, some cheese on your meals that day, etc.  Then take a couple days of regular W30 eating.  Then do gluten next, but without the cheese.  So have some toast, or a plain bagel, etc.  Check to see if your bagel places uses HFCS or other non-W30 ingredients as well, because that may cloud your data.

https://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

2 hours ago, kirkor said:

@POhio well to do a full reintro it will be at least another week before you should have a combo of bagel + cream cheese.  Reintro dairy first with some cream in your coffee, some cheese on your meals that day, etc.  Then take a couple days of regular W30 eating.  Then do gluten next, but without the cheese.  So have some toast, or a plain bagel, etc.  Check to see if your bagel places uses HFCS or other non-W30 ingredients as well, because that may cloud your data.

Thanks @kirkor appreciate your response!

9 hours ago, kirkor said:

So @kirkor . . . do you think it's best to start with dairy?

15 minutes ago, POhio said:

So @kirkor . . . do you think it's best to start with dairy?

Please notice that I am not kirkor (though he and I have met :) ), but I am comfortable saying that it really doesn't matter which food you start with - the important thing is to do them one at a time, and to allow two days in between each, so you can really gauge the impact of each.  Where are you from in NYC?  I was born and raised in Staten Island - been in San Diego over 30 years now though...

@POhio I agree with @Jim4884 and @kirkor about doing one food at a time.  I know it might be hard given that you're visiting NYC but I'd definitely reintro one food at a time.  You've put SO much work into re-setting your body so you can do your own personal experiment about how foods effect you.  For example; on a previous round of WH30 (this is my 3rd) I didn't have any strong reaction to individual food groups.  I found when I put together dairy and gluten it was bad news bears.  My mom on the other hand had a strong reaction to soy.  If she'd had soy sauce on rice she wouldn't have known if it was grains or legumes that did it.

If you really want to sample try making it a dairy day and have the cream cheese with vegetables.  Or, make it your gluten day and have the bagel but bring some Almond butter to put on it.

Let us know what you decide to do and Good Luck!

Congratulations everyone on making it to Day 31!  Whole 30 can be challenging and you all did SO awesome!!  What are some of the results and NSVs you guys are seeing? 

I won't have scale/measurement results for a couple weeks since I'm extending to a Whole45 (woo @Abi Labrador, SO glad you're finally feeling good and joining me through 45 days!).  The non-scale victories are too numerous to count though!  Better mood, more energy, more focused, better complexion, brighter skin, shinier hair, more slim appearance, clothes fitting better, fighting cravings, more productive...and on, and on...

Let's keep the positivity rolling...how's everyone else feeling?

Scale victory - lost 5 lbs.  measurements a mixed bag - some decreased and some increased.  May be my errors in measurements.  

Less coughing.  Will get blood tests tomorrow for annual physical but won’t get results for 2 weeks.  Very curious.

Will continue on this Paleo path but with less starchy foods and fruit as they raise my blood glucose a bit too much.  But will continue with animal protein and vegetables and good fats.  

Reintroduced dairy yesterday- feel ok.  Didn’t seem to affect me.  Dairy not as great as I remember so will have it, but less often than before.  I found that I really enjoy tea plain.  Not sure what I will introduce next.  May wait until something comes up that I want to eat.  No special cravings.  

Congrats @Artistcam - sounds like some good NSVs and I have to confess some envy for your 5 lb loss.  I am still intending to carry on for another 15 days, making it a WHole45, but admit to peeking on the scale yesterday and experiencing a little disappointment that I haven't lost a single pound!  Am surprised after giving up bread, cheese, butter, pasta, rice, pasta and wine, all of which formerly contributed a fair bit to my diet.  And I didn't deviate from the plan once!

However, I'm relieved I haven't actually put any weight on.  I was wanting to lose the 5 lbs I put on over the holiday season, but never mind, the NSVs are good enough (I stupidly didn't take any measurements or photos).  I think the weight thing is my own fault for overdoing the nuts, nut butters and fruit.  So my plan is to spend the next two weeks carrying on but reducing portions a little and holding back slightly on high cal veg like sweet potatoes and avocadoes and hope a couple of pounds will have come off by the end.  After that I'm going to try and continue Whole30ish as at least I know I can maintain weight on the programme, with occasional dairy and wholegrains, but aiming to steer clear of my beloved trigger foods: bread and cheese. . .  Love to hear how the rest of the group have done/are doing?

Sarah and Abi, I will be joining you for the additional days as well. I did hit the scale and measuring tape on day 31 though. Proud to have seen that I lost 11 lbs, and 7 1//4 inches. 4" inches off my belly (which is where I had packed it on). My partner also lost 14 lbs and about 7 inches. We decided to carry on as this is working, there are lots of NSV's as well, and not sure what next step would/should be. I have started to read about Paleo and Keto type diets. Ultimately, I want to continue to feel healthy and don't presently feel like I am missing out on anything that I can't do without. With whole30 the rules are very "black and white". At first I found it very difficult, but now, the rules seem like the easiest path. At the very least the extra time will further reinforce me making different choices. Glad others have carried on and are still writing on this thread. I have greatly appreciated hearing from the group and getting advice, recipes etc from time to time.

Archived