Nut Butters

the_wendy_house

My HFS carries all kinds of funky nut and seed butters (even pumpkin seed butter!), the Artisana brand stuff AND coconut manna. I usually spend about 10 minutes just staring at the jars every time I go so I DON'T go home with ALL THE BUTTERS!

I know SunButter brand had evaporated cane juice and other randoms in it and Nuts to You makes a fruit and nut combo one.

You can also make your own if you have a food processor...my girls are fond of homemade cashew butter. Making your own you can control how much you make and what goes in it.

I generally make my own nut butter because it is very expensive to buy it here in Switzerland (and the only one you can buy here that is sugar/junk free is almond). However, nuts are total "food without brakes" for me. One of the reasons I started my whole 30 this time around was because I ate an entire jar of cashew butter. By myself. In 2 days. Beware....

You guys, a jar of nut butter in two days? Pfff, I ate a jar in one sitting. I swear, I have no idea how that happened and that's a clear sign I shouldn't have it. I am doing whole30 nuts and coconut free (except for coconut oil but that one in moderation too).

Also today I've received a newsletter from a healthy products shop informing me about the discount for macadamia nut butter (woohooo!). And then I checked the ingredients list: sugar, palm oil, macadamian nuts (25%), milk powder, sunflower oil, soy lecithin... Good god, only 25% of nuts... that butter should be called "Sugar butter" instead of nut one

I don't understand why nut butters have so much other stuff in them?! They taste pretty good just as plain nut butter. Raw almond butter is delicious, why throw a bunch of other crap in it? If people want that kind of thing they can buy nutella, but if you want nut butter you should be able to easily find just nut butter. Crazy companies.....

I don't understand why nut butters have so much other stuff in them?! They taste pretty good just as plain nut butter. Raw almond butter is delicious, why throw a bunch of other crap in it? If people want that kind of thing they can buy nutella, but if you want nut butter you should be able to easily find just nut butter. Crazy companies.....

agreed. My guess is those other ingredients are cheaper than the nuts.

Archived