Compliant Yogurt as a Fat Choice??

kirbz

I'll be starting Round 2 on Friday and can't seem to find out whether compliant yogurt is allowed... I would be making my own using full fat coconut milk and compliant ingredients (I got a yogurt maker for Christmas!) and would simply be using it as another fat option. I'm thinking scrambled eggs over greens with a 1/4-1/2 cup of yogurt for breakfast... 

Is that allowed? Advisable?

• Administrators

I would be very, very careful with this. It is not specifically ruled out. However, anyone wanting to do this should question whether or not they are putting a compliant yogurt in place of their regular dairy morning yogurt. If you simply cannot imagine going 30 days without having fruit and yogurt for breakfast, you should NOT be eating this. 

Basically if yogurt is a big part of your life now, step away. And if you got a yogurt maker for Christmas I'd guess yogurt is a pretty big part of your life..............

Thanks for the feedback! Definitely all good considerations! 

Honestly, I don't have a thing for yogurt. I rarely eat it with breakfast (I'm a Cocoa Puffs/Lucky Charms sorta gal) or at any other time so I don't think this is a substitute for pre-Whole30 eating rituals and wouldn't be SWYPO for me... 

I'm honestly just looking for more fat options as I didn't eat enough of them during my first Whole30. Since coconut milk is one of only a handful of fat options, I wanted to figure out how to incorporate that more. I don't drink coffee or anything where I could have coconut milk, so unless I use a recipe that calls for it (which I didn't do often), I never ate coconut milk. 

Are there any other ideas for incorporating coconut milk more often as a fat into my meals? 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, kirbz said:

Honestly, I don't have a thing for yogurt. I rarely eat it with breakfast (I'm a Cocoa Puffs/Lucky Charms sorta gal) or at any other time so I don't think this is a substitute for pre-Whole30 eating rituals and wouldn't be SWYPO for me... 

I'm honestly just looking for more fat options as I didn't eat enough of them during my first Whole30. Since coconut milk is one of only a handful of fat options, I wanted to figure out how to incorporate that more. I don't drink coffee or anything where I could have coconut milk, so unless I use a recipe that calls for it (which I didn't do often), I never ate coconut milk. 

Are there any other ideas for incorporating coconut milk more often as a fat into my meals? 

Pesto, chimichurri, mayo, mayo based sauces, olives, sundried tomatoes in olive oil, all the animal fats and olive oil, avocado oil, sesame oil, coconut milk, coconut products, bacon (sometimes), panchetta/procuitto if you can find it, nuts (sometimes), nut butter (sometimes), avocado, ranch... 

There are LOTS of fat possibilities :)

@SugarcubeOD and @laura_juggles Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely try some more soups! I never think of soups! But they'd make a great side and fat source. :-)

@slc_melissa That sounds delicious but would probably be SWYPO for me! Because I DO love me some hot chocolate! Like every single night... LOL. 

This community really is great! I'm so thankful for all of your suggestions and support!

3 hours ago, kirbz said:

Today I put a dollop of coconut cream (basically, just chilled coconut milk) on my fruit for a pre-Pilates snack. It was great.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, BKA said:

Today I put a dollop of coconut cream (basically, just chilled coconut milk) on my fruit for a pre-Pilates snack. It was great.

Our recommendation for preworkout food would be protein and fat... eating fruit gives your body easy access to energy and does not support becoming fat adapted.

1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Our recommendation for preworkout food would be protein and fat... eating fruit gives your body easy access to energy and does not support becoming fat adapted.

Thanks for the tip. I don't eat enough fruit normally, so am trying to up my intake. Any suggestions of when/how to do it? 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, BKA said:

Thanks for the tip. I don't eat enough fruit normally, so am trying to up my intake. Any suggestions of when/how to do it? 

There's no such thing as 'enough fruit'.  Veggies are by far a more bioavailable source of all the nutrients that you can get from fruit.  Fruit should be eaten to be enjoyed on a salad or as unsweetened applesauce next to a pork chop but there's no requirement to eat it... in fact, the recommendation is 0-2 fist sized servings a day, eaten with meals not on their own and a LOT of the advanced members and moderators on this forum don't eat fruit at all because it bothers their sugar cravings... that's going to come down to each person personally so you definitely can eat fruit with meals, it's just not required.

34 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

There's no such thing as 'enough fruit'.  Veggies are by far a more bioavailable source of all the nutrients that you can get from fruit.  Fruit should be eaten to be enjoyed on a salad or as unsweetened applesauce next to a pork chop but there's no requirement to eat it... in fact, the recommendation is 0-2 fist sized servings a day, eaten with meals not on their own and a LOT of the advanced members and moderators on this forum don't eat fruit at all because it bothers their sugar cravings... that's going to come down to each person personally so you definitely can eat fruit with meals, it's just not required.

Haha. I never eat fruit on its own. I guess I misread the rules and thought I should try to have a serving or two a day. I won't bother then.

Archived