Coconut cult yogurt

Isabel Kreitler

Can I eat the coconut cult probiotic yogurt? These are the ingredients:  Organic Coconut Meat, Organic Coconut Water, Custom Probiotic Blend (15 Strains of Probiotics: S. Thermophilus, L. Salivarius, B. Infantis, B. Bifidum, L. Fermentum, L. Plantarum, L. Reuteri, B. Longum, E. Faecium, L. Brevis, L. Acidophilus, L. Gasseri, L. Helveticus, L. Casei Subspecies Rhamnosus, and L. Casei Subspecies Casei)

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Isabel Kreitler said:

Can I eat the coconut cult probiotic yogurt? These are the ingredients:  Organic Coconut Meat, Organic Coconut Water, Custom Probiotic Blend (15 Strains of Probiotics: S. Thermophilus, L. Salivarius, B. Infantis, B. Bifidum, L. Fermentum, L. Plantarum, L. Reuteri, B. Longum, E. Faecium, L. Brevis, L. Acidophilus, L. Gasseri, L. Helveticus, L. Casei Subspecies Rhamnosus, and L. Casei Subspecies Casei)

This would be fine in extreme moderation (like a spoonful a day for the probiotics) but only the original flavor. 

Read this thread from today for more on yogurt

• 1 year later...

Is there a reason why the other flavors aren't allowed? The mangos n' cream flavor seems to be entirely compliant based on the ingredient list. If you're only eating a tablespoon for the probiotic benefits as recommended (vs. eating a cup or two of it as your whole breakfast), I wouldn't think it would fall into SWYPO / bad habit forming.

Ingredients for mango flavor: organic coconut meat, organic mangos, organic coconut cream, organic coconut water, organic orange juice, custom probiotic blend (16 strains of probiotics: l. lactis, s. thermophilus, l. salivarius, l. acidophilus, l. helveticus, l. plantarum, l. gasseri, l. brevis, l. casei, l. fermentum, l. reuteri, l. rhamnosus, b. longum, b. infantis, b. breve, b. bifidum)

45 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Any flavor other than the original falls into that "recreating a sweet breakfasty thing". Really all the fruit does is add sugar. 

Eh, ok. I get that, but it seems like the sugar in the amount I would be eating (about 1.5 grams in a tablespoon) is so minimal that this wouldn't really fall into that category. Especially when the star of my breakfast is a veggie and egg casserole (no other fruit or sugar). To be safe, I can push it out until after the Whole30 is done.

If you managed to be completely strict in only eating that single tablespoon of yogurt, then no, it might not be a big deal. But sweet fruity yogurt is definitely something that can poke a sugar dragon.

It's not about the *amount* of added sugar/sweetener, it's the fact that it's added at all. By the logic of "oh, it's not a lot of sugar", then it's easy to start reasoning away sugars/sweeteners in other things. Like "there's less than 2% of sugar in this bacon, it's no big deal" or "I had the plain yogurt today so a teaspoon of honey in my coffee will be okay". 

Is the fruit/sugar needed for the probiotic purposes of the yogurt? No. 

Archived