Breakfast options

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at doing the Whole30 and the only thing that is bothering me is that I usually struggle eating breakfast and anything like eggs, avocado and the like, I really can't stomach early in the morning. Up to this point, I would have a smoothie or similar as this was enough to keep me going until lunch or my morning snack. Is there anything that is similar to this that is compliant I could have? Just need something filling that isn't that heavy in the morning. This may change as I get used to the program - just hoping there is something else I can start the day on. Lunch and dinners will be fine.

Thanks in advance!

• Moderators

Anything you eat at any other meal works for breakfast, so don't limit yourself to typical breakfast foods. Soup, salmon cakes/patties, meatballs, salads, baked sweet potato or potato stuffed with chili or stew. Plate up a meal, eat as much as you can, set it aside, and if you feel you can eat a little more in 20 or 30 minutes, go back to it. It'll probably take a week or two to be able to eat a whole meal, but you should fund it gets easier over time.

Also, don't have coffee before you've eaten breakfast because it can be an appetite suppressant. 

• Moderators

Soup.

We're not going to tell you to drink a smoothie. We're going to tell you to eat the healthy stuff, even if it's hard, because the only way to get used to eating that kind of food in the morning, is to eat that kind of food in the morning. 

Unless eating savory stuff in the morning literally causes you to be sick, you're just going to have to put in the effort to change this habit. It is hard, but you can do it.

I'm the exact same way! It's hard for my to keep anything down in the morning, and I'm really just not hungry at all usually. During my first whole30 last year, I started with chia seed pudding {~1/4 cup chia seeds, 1 cup almond or coconut milk, refrigerate overnight; Add more chia seeds and compliant-"toppings" in the morning - cinnamon, berries, banana, etc}.

Slowly work your way up to eating the whole servings, and then you can start branching out once you're feeling tired of chia seeds. You'd be surprised that suddenly you start to want to eat in the morning, and even weird things like veggies {WHAT?!} :)

Even though this isn't the 'goal' breakfast long-term, it's good for the first week when your body is adjusting to the idea of actually wanting anything in the morning. I promise, it does get better, even for us finicky-early-morning-nauseas-folks.

While I understand where you're coming from (being one of those "breakfast makes me nauseous" people too), chia seed pudding is not a good idea. Look at what was in yours: chia seeds (fat), almond/coconut milk (fat), berries/bananas/other fruits (sugar). There's no protein, there's no veggies. And it's sweet. 

Shannon's suggestion of soup is way better and it's great. Making something like Mel Joulwan's golden cauliflower soup with a good quality bone broth does put some protein into the mix and it's savory which helps to break the mindset that breakfast should be sweet. I don't like eggs much so I would often have a big mug of soup and some slices of leftover chicken breast or leftover steak for breakfast. 

I agree it's not the best choice at all, I think we're saying the same thing there -> "Even though this isn't the 'goal' breakfast long-term"

It's just my personal experience of what helped me through that first week or so of adjustment. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to just jump in on day one of my first whole30 downing a bowl of meat and veggies, so I assumed that OP could also be the same way. If so, I just wanted to provide a very temporary alternative to get them through those first few days of misery, and help alleviate the concern that it was going to be day one of "here's a bowl of spinach and eggs good luck."

Edit: I'm totally writing that recipe down to try later this week;I love sneaking cauliflower in on the boyfriend anyway I can. ;) 

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, alance1099 said:

I agree it's not the best choice at all, I think we're saying the same thing there -> "Even though this isn't the 'goal' breakfast long-term"

It's just my personal experience of what helped me through that first week or so of adjustment. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to just jump in on day one of my first whole30 downing a bowl of meat and veggies, so I assumed that OP could also be the same way. If so, I just wanted to provide a very temporary alternative to get them through those first few days of misery, and help alleviate the concern that it was going to be day one of "here's a bowl of spinach and eggs good luck."

Edit: I'm totally writing that recipe down to try later this week;I love sneaking cauliflower in on the boyfriend anyway I can. ;) 

Just to add another insight to this discussion. Often the people who find that eating protein, fat and veggies in the morning make them nauseated (when sweet, carby, creamy foods don't) are feeling that way because their hormones are out of whack. And honestly, the way past that is to put aside the sweets and keep trying at the veggies and protein. You can't get used to eating protein, veggies and fat in the morning by eating sugar and sweets in the morning. We totally know that it really, really sucks for some people and it feels gross and sicky and that it's frustrating and the last thing you want to do. But we also know the glory that is on the other side of that. The benefits people get by getting away from sweets for breakfast and starting their day with a real foundation. 

I'd challenge anyone that used to eat cereal, yogurt, bagels, toast and jam, fruit, smoothies etc to tell you that the transition didn't suck and not be lying. After I'd transitioned myself I helped my husband with it and it SUCKED for him. He was frustrated and resentful and basically acted like I was trying to kill him. However he noticed very quickly that he could go 4-5 hours without having to eat, that he didn't miss his 10am muffin and that he had more energy and more mental acuity.  

It's like a bandaid....the quicker you just rip it off, experience the sting and move on, the better off you'll be. If you want to pull that sucker off hair by tiny hair, that's your choice but we'll always recommend you grab and yank!  :) 

10 hours ago, alance1099 said:

I'm the exact same way! It's hard for my to keep anything down in the morning, and I'm really just not hungry at all usually. During my first whole30 last year, I started with chia seed pudding {~1/4 cup chia seeds, 1 cup almond or coconut milk, refrigerate overnight; Add more chia seeds and compliant-"toppings" in the morning - cinnamon, berries, banana, etc}.

Slowly work your way up to eating the whole servings, and then you can start branching out once you're feeling tired of chia seeds. You'd be surprised that suddenly you start to want to eat in the morning, and even weird things like veggies {WHAT?!} :)

Even though this isn't the 'goal' breakfast long-term, it's good for the first week when your body is adjusting to the idea of actually wanting anything in the morning. I promise, it does get better, even for us finicky-early-morning-nauseas-folks.

Thanks so much for this alance1099! That's really helpful. I know it's not ideal but when you're starting a new system, I find that if you try to change too quickly with something you already struggle with, you're less likely to stick to it. Starting with something that is still out of the ordinary and getting used to the food at the other meal times will help change my palate and potentially how I feel in the morning. Appreciate the response :)

laura_juggles, I understand what you're saying and I agree to a point, however it's not always easy for people to be that dramatic in change. I'm pretty easy going with most food and can have sometimes the most random of things...except at breakfast time. I'm wanting to change that, but sometimes doing something, even if not ideal, is better than nothing.

Really appreciate everyone's input!

Archived