Abby First Whole 30

Abby2798

I started my whole 30 on Thursday of last week so today is officially my 6th day down! I was planning to wait and start after New Years but I am breastfeeding a two month old and she seemed to be having some indigestion (perhaps a result of my holiday cookie binges) so I decided to start it early. Excited to see results (baby weight wise) and hoping this forum can help me stay on track.

Day 7 today. Indulged in a tropical smoothie (no added sugar of course), but still felt like I should have perhaps skipped it. I drove all the way over to get one before picking my son up from preschool because I was craving a treat or something sweet and that was all i could think of that i could have. But I'm supposed to be slaying the sugar Dragon :0 Yesterday my husband brought me home a salted carmel Starbucks latte trying to be nice. Blah so frustrating! I was like don't you know I can only have black coffee and dumped the whole thing down the drain. I seriously thought of breaking my whole 30 just to drink it!

8 hours ago, Abby2798 said:

Day 7 today. Indulged in a tropical smoothie (no added sugar of course), but still felt like I should have perhaps skipped it. I drove all the way over to get one before picking my son up from preschool because I was craving a treat or something sweet and that was all i could think of that i could have. But I'm supposed to be slaying the sugar Dragon :0 Yesterday my husband brought me home a salted carmel Starbucks latte trying to be nice. Blah so frustrating! I was like don't you know I can only have black coffee and dumped the whole thing down the drain. I seriously thought of breaking my whole 30 just to drink it!

I feel this on a spiritual level. I admire your determination! 

Day 8 today, officially hit a week yesterday which is exciting. My cravings have been crazy bad today though. Thoughts of binging on my kids cookies and peanut butter crackers lol. Keep trying to remind myself it's not worth it. Also fighting the urge to weigh myself now that I'm a week in and see if I lost anything. My starting weight is 171, the most I've ever weighed outside of during a pregnancy. Counted the days left on my calendar today to try to cheer myself up. 22 more to go! Feels like forever right now. But off to have some chicken and salad for lunch. Don't want to give up now :)

Such bad cravings today and tonight! It has really been making me re think some of my relationship with food though, which I suppose is a good thing. But it is in a way I had not really expected. I keep thinking, if I am full, why do I want to eat still? And eat bad (sweet) things? Why do I view certain foods as rewards I deserve. And what is that space inside me, or the gaps in my life that I keep trying to pacify with food? Like I ate dinner and was full but couldn't stop thinking about how much I wanted to eat ice cream and cookies. Why when I know if I did it would not make me really "Feel" better at all. I am really hoping all this craving is a hump I will get through and that things will get better/easier. Interesting thoughts, depressing hard day. Mashed bananna with almond butter mixed in and some cinnamon on top for a snack after dinner, quite tasty. Didn't need to eat it, but it got me through another day without breaking down and eating the ice cream in my freezer. Day 8 is over!

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with cravings--I wonder if you're not eating enough generally? Or perhaps too much fruit, which can cause blood sugar spikes, which cause sweet cravings? Whatever the case, I hope it subsides too--it would be really hard to make it through a month with constant strong cravings.

Oh, the after dinner sugar cravings! Arrrgghh. I've been kicking them in the teeth for seven days, but they're still here. Somebody told me awhile ago whenever you feel them do this: Take three slow, deep breaths and drink a whole glass of room temp water. By then the craving usually passes. Or here's what I did when I quit smoking many years ago: Whenever I craved one, I reminded myself that I COULD have one, because I was NOT deprived. I was CHOOSING not to have one because (insert your reasons for doing the Whole 30 here.) This "mantra" really helps while the craving passes. Remember, none of us is deprived. We could have any of the foods in our old way of eating. But we are choosing not to. Simple as that. Try it; it works for me. 

Good Luck out there and keep up the good work!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
31 minutes ago, BTom5 said:

What smoothies are acceptable from Tropical Smoothie?

The original poster hasn't been on the forum since January, so she may not see this. For any food, you need to find out the ingredients for yourself, as different locations could use different recipes or ingredients. Also remember that smoothies are not really recommended -- here's the information on that from the Can I Have guide:  

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Here's the Can I Have list if you'd like to check for yourself:  https://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Archived