Compliant Coconut Milk

Leah1991

Hi team, I've just started my Whole30 today! And I'm looking to find a compliant coconut milk to put in coffee, there are tins of it at the supermarket but they seem more for just the cooking side..so I was looking at ones that are made for drinking, like almond and soy milks. BUT, I get really thrown by some of the ingredients...are the ones I've copied in below compliant?

Ingredients: Filtered water, coconut cream (min. 8%), inulin, mineral (calcium, phosphate), emulsifier (471), vegetable gum (407, 418), natural flavours, sea salt.

If not, does anyone know of a good one you can get in NZ? I had already decided to not worry about coffee while I'm doing this, but figured if I can find a good milk I could give it a try. 

Thanks!!

Leah.

• 4 weeks later...

Leah is this the Vitasoy one? I was just looking at the same product to see if it was compliant (I'm in Oz). I just googled vegetable gum 407 and it says its carageenan so would think that makes it non-compliant???... but I'm sure their almond milk is compliant. I'm going to do a bit more googling. It's so hard out here to find compliant products!

On 1/2/2018 at 9:02 PM, Leah1991 said:

Ah ok thanks Shannon. I had thought about using the canned stuff, but I just wasn't sure if it would go with coffee alright. Good to know! :) 

I used to use the very sugary International Delights creamer, and now I use a combo of full-fat canned coconut milk and nutpods in my coffee and it has become my favorite!

On 1/3/2018 at 3:35 PM, Leah1991 said:

Hi team, I've just started my Whole30 today! And I'm looking to find a compliant coconut milk to put in coffee, there are tins of it at the supermarket but they seem more for just the cooking side..so I was looking at ones that are made for drinking, like almond and soy milks. BUT, I get really thrown by some of the ingredients...are the ones I've copied in below compliant?

Ingredients: Filtered water, coconut cream (min. 8%), inulin, mineral (calcium, phosphate), emulsifier (471), vegetable gum (407, 418), natural flavours, sea salt.

If not, does anyone know of a good one you can get in NZ? I had already decided to not worry about coffee while I'm doing this, but figured if I can find a good milk I could give it a try. 

Thanks!!

Leah.

Hi Leah,

The best coconut milk/cream in NZ is Aroy. It is free of any additives and the real deal! See if you can find it around where you live or try an asian grocery?

I have a milk frother that I use to make a Almond milk latte. It is pretty great! Check Almond Milk brands for same additives etc as coconut milk. I often make my own which is so yummy!

On 1/29/2018 at 1:38 PM, Dee04 said:

Leah is this the Vitasoy one? I was just looking at the same product to see if it was compliant (I'm in Oz). I just googled vegetable gum 407 and it says its carageenan so would think that makes it non-compliant???... but I'm sure their almond milk is compliant. I'm going to do a bit more googling. It's so hard out here to find compliant products!

Hi there!

Great detective work looking into the ingredients and searching up the 407 numbers! Manufacturers don't want to tell us what is really in our food do they? 

The Gum 407 is Carrageenan which is and non-compliant ingredient. And for good reason! This is from It Starts With Food "Carrageenan is Inflammatory if it gets into the body, which could happen if you have increased gut permeability. (Carrageenan is actually used to create inflammation in lab animals)." And I would like to suggest that all of us have some gut permeability which is why we are seeking better health.

Best to keep away from these additives as they just work against you :)

Have you tried making your own Almond Milk? It is so delish and way cheaper than store bought. 

Hadley

I also am just starting the Whole30, and am finishing up day 3. I'm also considering an almond/coconut milk.  The brand I looked at has a good ingredient label up until the end where it lists Locust bean gum and Gellen gum. 

I'm reading about these and there's mixed conclusions since they seem to influence gut flora, but it appears they are ok in small amounts. These are used for giving thickness and texture to foods/drinks.  The locust bean gum is currently being investigated for pharmaceutical use, and is even well tolerated by infants with reflux.  It's sound like it's okay, but thought I'd get some advice here sine a search on Locust bean gum didn't turn up any results.

Thanks

David

Archived