Post-Anesthesia Snack

I am having surgery tomorrow and after waking up from anesthesia they always make me eat applesauce and/or crackers, and ginger ale and/or cranberry juice before they let me take any pain meds. I know that pain meds are not ideal but there is no way that I can not take them, so I have reconciled this with my Whole30; it's only for 2-4 days. I am even prepared for how they affect my appetite and digestion and have meal planned accordingly. But I am wondering what my options are for substitutions for standard hospital snacks.

I was considering bringing a Lara bar (never had one but I think the sweetness would be good in this application) and my own unsweetened cranberry juice or some unsweetened apple juice and asking my doctor if I may have this afterward instead. Is the Lara bar too heavy though? I will have been fasting for about 12 hours.

Now that I think of it, hospitals must have foods for all sorts of dietary needs. Should I just tell them before hand and hope they're able to serve me something compliant?

Thank you for those who take the time to respond!

Why not have applesauce and cranberry juice, or even ginger tea (which could help settle your stomach if you have nausea post-anesthesia, which I *totally* do)? A Larabar is pretty heavy to throw at your body when it's trying to wake up. 

You can definitely have unsweetened applesauce on Whole30 

Hoping all goes well! :) 

56 minutes ago, laura_juggles said:

Why not have applesauce and cranberry juice, or even ginger tea (which could help settle your stomach if you have nausea post-anesthesia, which I *totally* do)? A Larabar is pretty heavy to throw at your body when it's trying to wake up. 

You can definitely have unsweetened applesauce on Whole30 

Hoping all goes well! :) 

Thanks for getting back to me!

I think I will bring some individual unsweetened applesauce and a small cran juice of my own too, just in case what they have is not compliant. From my experience most things like that have so much needlessly added sugar.

• Administrators

You could also throw a banana in your bag. Soft, comforting, easy to digest. I would think the point of the food before the pain meds is so as not to upset your stomach. Banana or applesauce would work perfectly. 

Archived