Introducing: Me. Here per doctor's orders.

Nila

Hello all. I just thought I'd pop in, introduce myself, and make it official. I'm in. I'm starting my first Whole30 January 1st. And, as the topic title indicates, my doctor has made the suggestion I go this route.

My aim is to reduce ridiculously high insulin, CRP, and fibrinogen levels while getting my cortisol normal (it's so stinking low) and thereby reduce my risk of all the nasties – heart disease, cancer, diabetes, and so on. Up to this point, my A1C and fasting glucose levels have always been "perfect." I'd like to keep it that way.

If I lose weight along the way, huzzah!

I've had brushes with paleo-ish nutrition before, with great success, having come to it on my own and not knowing it had a label. Now that I have the science-y stuff and some guidelines, I'm even more ready.

I think the hardest part will be doing this within a family that won't give up the sacred cows, so to speak. You know, the four food groups – grains (especially the processed ones), cheese, sugar, and potatoes. We're preparing together, though, which is certainly promising.

Well, gang, thanks for reading. I'll be checking in to keep my excitement up as the days and weeks wear on. If I can do anything for you, find me.

Thanks!

Great perspective, Kirsteen. I'll carry that with me.

ladunn and Derval, thanks for the support!

AmyR, best of luck to you too! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your husband joins you. I suspect he'll benefit regardless.

My doctor turned me on to whole 30 as well, she was doing it herself. I'vee done a pretty clean paleo type diet for awhile, but this is only my 3rd whole 30. Just paleo wasn't enough for me, I needed this type of good cleanse. Going paleo removed all asthma and allergy symptoms. Whole 30 has lessened my fibromyalgia symptoms and helped me sleep for the first time in my adult life. I'm completely convinced of the health benefits of this type of clean eating!

It's great that you are going into this focused on your overall health, that's definitely key to success.

Best of luck and welcome!

You'll do well. I work my plan around my family although I have now cut out legumes completely for all of us - that was an easy one. I also cook more family meals with ghee and coconut oil so I hope they will benefit from the extra saturated fat, and make them eggs for breakfast more often. Might tackle grains next....

Once you start looking at it as not giving anything up, but widening your palate to all kinds of new recipes, I am betting you can cook compliant meals quite often, without 'telling' your family they are and giving them the idea they are being deprived of something. I am cooking a much wider variety of tasty, interesting food than I ever was eating the same few meats and the same few potatoes and veggies week in and week out.

Good luck!

Archived