BKA

HUGE breakfast, but hungry 2 hours later

Recommended Posts

Hi, there. 

I am on day four and just ate the biggest breakfast I've had in years. But now I'm hungry and am trying to hold off snacking :-)

Here's what I had 2 slices of frittata (equivalent of three eggs with onion, tomato, potato, mushroom, bell pepper, and spinach), a palm-length chuck of sardine, and half a palm's worth of cut up fruit. And black tea to drink.

What should I do differently? A long time ago, I used to not eat a big breakfast because I felt hungry an hour after. More recently, I would eat half a bagel with cream cheese and margarine, and coffee with cream. Then I would graze most of the day at work, starting with a bran muffin about two hours after breakfast. I went on Whole30 because I felt that the carbs weren't filling me up and that I needed more protein. But I had tons of protein today, and still I'm hungry.

Thanks for any tips!

Barb

PS I am drinking a black coffee at the moment (at work). I do have some good (I think) snacks on hand: mixed nuts with a few raisins in there, an olive/veggie antipasto, a boiled egg, and an avocado. Just not sure what to have when. Hoping to go for a run in two or three hours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm....first, it could just be transition during these first days and you should eat more if you're hungry. But, there are a couple things you can do.

First, remove the fruit and add some cooked veggie instead. Lots of people report that if they eat fruit at their morning meal it makes them hungry sooner. Second, add fat. Fat-fat-fat! Throw a half or full avocado over your frittata or drizzle the works with ghee or blop on some homemade mayo. Fat is what will keep you full. The volume from veggies (like add some bulkier veggie like steamed brocoli or similar) fills your tummy. 

Note that 3 eggs and a piece of sardine isn't really "tonnes" of protein. I mean......conventional "diets" tell you that it is but it's really not. Eggs when they are protein are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping - so 3 is the minimum for most people. You can bump that up if you like. It's the fat and veggie added to that protein though that will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you. I did end up making it until my pre-workout snack. I think the hunger is more psychological after decades of grazing. There were a lot of veggies in the frittata. I will try adding on mayo or ghee next time. Making them has been on my to-do list for the past few evenings, but I keep getting sidetracked prepping other stuff in the evenings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BKA said:

I think the hunger is more psychological after decades of grazing.

Yes! I think you really had a good AHA moment today, which is what this program is all about. So many of us have trained our brains to think we are hungry at specific times of day, or during certain occasions, even if we aren't. Here are a few suggestions to help you figure out hunger vs. craving in the future:

- Drink water first: 1) often times hunger pangs are really thirst 2) if I drink water, but still feel hungry 10-15 minutes later, it's more likely real hunger

- Ask yourself: "would I eat steamed broccoli right now". if the answer is Yes, you are probably hungry. If all you can answer instead is No, but I really could eat some nuts, then its more likely a craving.

Over time, you won't have to use these tricks as often because you'll get to know your body better, and will be able to tell the nuanced differences right away in how you are feeling. At least, that has been my experience. However, at least once a week I still have to use one of these tricks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have almost an identical breakfast every morning, and I know it's been mentioned before but I thought I would second the add some fat suggestion. During my last whole 30 I really dialed in and noticed that I feel so much better if I add a little more fat than I think I need, especially in my morning meal.  My energy levels are much better and I can make it much farther into the day before I need lunch. I make a frittata every morning with some combination of onion, zucchini, bell pepper, mushroom, sweet potato, and arugula (I really try to pack as many veggies as will fit in the pan and still fit enough eggs for a serving - usually 4 for me) and put a healthy dollop of home made mayo mixed with hot sauce on top. Gets me from 8:00am right through until 1:00 lunch time.

Another breakfast I like to make if I have a little more time is a sweet potato and bell pepper hash with fried eggs on top and a couple of slices of compliant bacon - it's a good one for weekend mornings and helps keep the food boredom at bay.

Happy Whole30-ing! Keep up the great work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-01-05 at 11:28 AM, quinnmj said:

I have almost an identical breakfast every morning, and I know it's been mentioned before but I thought I would second the add some fat suggestion. During my last whole 30 I really dialed in and noticed that I feel so much better if I add a little more fat than I think I need, especially in my morning meal.  My energy levels are much better and I can make it much farther into the day before I need lunch. I make a frittata every morning with some combination of onion, zucchini, bell pepper, mushroom, sweet potato, and arugula (I really try to pack as many veggies as will fit in the pan and still fit enough eggs for a serving - usually 4 for me) and put a healthy dollop of home made mayo mixed with hot sauce on top. Gets me from 8:00am right through until 1:00 lunch time.

Another breakfast I like to make if I have a little more time is a sweet potato and bell pepper hash with fried eggs on top and a couple of slices of compliant bacon - it's a good one for weekend mornings and helps keep the food boredom at bay.

Happy Whole30-ing! Keep up the great work!

I have yet to find compliant bacon and jerky :-( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BKA said:

I have yet to find compliant bacon and jerky :-( 

Find in stores or find brands that are compliant? There are lots of options out there thankfully, and if they don't have in store you can usually order online through their websites or Amazon :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Find in stores or find brands that are compliant? There are lots of options out there thankfully, and if they don't have in store you can usually order online through their websites or Amazon :) 

Shipping to Canada is ridiculous and not even sure you can ship meat across the border ;)

That said, @BKA being also a Vancouverite (or lowermainland-ite) I've never had bacon or jerky on a whole30 or any other time between... it might be a nice to have but it's not required :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Shipping to Canada is ridiculous and not even sure you can ship meat across the border ;)

That said, @BKA being also a Vancouverite (or lowermainland-ite) I've never had bacon or jerky on a whole30 or any other time between... it might be a nice to have but it's not required :)

ah boo, I missed that she was in Canada!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Shipping to Canada is ridiculous and not even sure you can ship meat across the border ;)

That said, @BKA being also a Vancouverite (or lowermainland-ite) I've never had bacon or jerky on a whole30 or any other time between... it might be a nice to have but it's not required :)

I don't normally eat jerky and only occasionally eat bacon. But now I want them both! Badly! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now