Any potential issues with these menu items?


BKA

Recommended Posts

Hi there. 

I wasn't planning on visiting restaurants during my Whole30 but forgot about my colleague's retirement lunch. I just checked the menu, and these are the only complaint foods I see. Are there any potential flags (like a hidden ingredient I should watch out for?)

Olive Miste $8 Mixed Italian olives, served warm

Verde $8 Organic spring mix, herbs with balsamic vinaigrette (Is there perhaps sugar in the dressing?)

Garden $9 Organic spring mix, cherry-tomato, cucumber with balsamic vinaigrette

For protein, can I just eat a boiled egg en route or on the way home? 

Barb

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, BKA said:

Hi there. 

I wasn't planning on visiting restaurants during my Whole30 but forgot about my colleague's retirement lunch. I just checked the menu, and these are the only complaint foods I see. Are there any potential flags (like a hidden ingredient I should watch out for?)

Olive Miste $8 Mixed Italian olives, served warm

Verde $8 Organic spring mix, herbs with balsamic vinaigrette (Is there perhaps sugar in the dressing?)

Garden $9 Organic spring mix, cherry-tomato, cucumber with balsamic vinaigrette

For protein, can I just eat a boiled egg en route or on the way home? 

Barb

 

Just make sure you ask at the restaurant as there's no way of knowing...  is there sugar in the dressing, is the oil they use mixed with soy, do they put cheese on but not mention it on the menu, is there quinoa mixed in and not mentioned, are the olives in soy oil...   

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Just make sure you ask at the restaurant as there's no way of knowing...  is there sugar in the dressing, is the oil they use mixed with soy, do they put cheese on but not mention it on the menu, is there quinoa mixed in and not mentioned, are the olives in soy oil...   

Ack! I was hoping not to have to draw too much attention to myself. Maybe I will phone them in advance. I don't think there is any cheese, because the salads with cheese specify that. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who has worked in restaurants on and off forever, I can tell you that vinaigrettes frequently have sugar and non-compliant dijon mustard (white wine in it), as well as an olive oil mixed with canola. You can always ask for oil and vinegar on the side, but make sure you get pure olive oil! Tell the server/manager you have a reaction to vegetable oils so they take it seriously.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lgt2013 said:

As someone who has worked in restaurants on and off forever, I can tell you that vinaigrettes frequently have sugar and non-compliant dijon mustard (white wine in it), as well as an olive oil mixed with canola. You can always ask for oil and vinegar on the side, but make sure you get pure olive oil! Tell the server/manager you have a reaction to vegetable oils so they take it seriously.

Thanks. I was just going to go without dressing :-D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.