Starting Jan 8

snd9

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/1/2018 at 12:42 PM, ladyshanny said:

BRINE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never, ever, ever cook a chicken without brining it. It's the difference between eating filet mignon and eating your shoe.

I do a super easy brine which is salt + water. That's it. So put a golf balled sized amount of kosher salt (use less if table salt) into a ziplock bag. Fill about halfway with warm water and swoosh around until the salt is dissolved. Put your chicken in the bag and fill the rest of the way with warm water. Put the whole works in a bowl in your fridge. If your chicken is frozen, put it in the bag frozen. Doesn't matter.

If you DO have a whole chicken that is not frozen, I would recommend cutting the backbone out of it first (spatchcocking) so that it lays flat and cooks more evenly.  You literally just cut the spine out of it with a sharp scissors or knife (be careful!). This allows it to fit into a ziplock bag better also. You can brine overnight or all day or 3 hours or even 30 minutes. Literally any amount of brining is better than none. My instagram post below about brining - and shows a spatchcocked chicken.

I just put it in the fridge, spatchcocked and all!  I had Hawaiian rock salt so that's what I used, about 2 tsp. or so... do you think that's enough? We are having our neighbors over for dinner so I will let you know how rave-y we get :-) 

As an aside, after several hours of heavy instagram stalking, I need to know what brand of sausage you're using... it looks like some kind of kielbasa and I NEEDS IT.

Day 27 in the books friends!  We only have 3 more days left. What are your plans for reintro?

On 2/1/2018 at 12:16 PM, BecFreeby said:

@kirkorThat's easily one of my favorite movies, well played!  (golf clap).

@dee1314 I don't think I'll continue past the 30 days, but I do plan to switch to Paleo 80/20.  This is one of the only whole30's where I am not trying to talk myself in to quitting "just a few days early"... because I don't wanna!  I've been TERRIBLE the last few days about meal planning and the food boredom is definitely rearing it's obnoxious head but my philosophy has been to keep it simple.  Last night was simple steamed veggies and two hot dogs. This morning, sweet potato with coconut, (not as much as it should have been) spinach and an egg.  I have had a really crappy week so my life motivation is pretty low but I do feel the other benefits so I am pushing through.  I can't believe we are under the one week mark... only 5 days left, whaaaaaaa?

@AmisOtisIf you don't yet own a good diffuser, I highly recommend.  I had a baby cold about 4 weeks ago and my diffuser was a god send.  Plus, you can use them when you're not sick and they make your house smell like you baked pie even when you're mid whole30 and pieless :-)  I hope you're on the upswing, I am SUPER proud of you for pushing through sickness.  It is such a testament to your conviction and self control!

Who's got a roasted chicken recipe that's mindblowingly delicious?  I bought one in an attempt to push past boredom and then idiotically realized I have literally no idea how to cook.  I could trust the google but I prefer my whole30-ers.  Lay it on me!

Thanks @BecFreeby, I don't have a diffuser, but it's just one click away.  Thank you for the advice and kind words.  I am getting back to feeling those pockets of goodness (interspersed with those pockets of exhaustion or frustration), which I'm grateful for.  Good for you for pushing through when life is doing you wrong!  Soemtimes, it's just a relief to prove to the universe that you have control over SOMETHING, and why  not this piece of your health?  Three more days.  We can do  hard things.  

Ooh, I committed the Whole30 sin of trusting someone else when they said something was compliant.  Rookie mistake!  There was definitely something in there that upset my gut- not terribly so, but enough to notice.  I think something related to wheat or legumes, but I am honestly not sure.  Frustrating, but c'est la vie.  Still going to finish today and tomorrow, but as I am already planning another whole30 for May (I have a friend who needs support for hers) and planning to do a slow reintro and Paleo until then I am not going to stress it too much.  How did everyone else do with the Superbowl? Mostly unscathed or are you in my Boat of Frustration sailing on the Sea of Regret?

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, BecFreeby said:

Also- THAT BRINED CHICKEN WAS LIFE. OMG I just want to eat it every day for the rest of my life.  OM NOM NOM.

HA! I knew you would love it! No going back now! ;) You can also brine pork loin or chops in the same way and with the same effect. Just so you know! 

• Administrators
On 03/02/2018 at 9:24 PM, BecFreeby said:

I just put it in the fridge, spatchcocked and all!  I had Hawaiian rock salt so that's what I used, about 2 tsp. or so... do you think that's enough? We are having our neighbors over for dinner so I will let you know how rave-y we get :-) 

As an aside, after several hours of heavy instagram stalking, I need to know what brand of sausage you're using... it looks like some kind of kielbasa and I NEEDS IT.

Day 27 in the books friends!  We only have 3 more days left. What are your plans for reintro?

The sausage is from a local butcher. It's just an italian pork sausage.....if it's the one I think? 

1 hour ago, ladyshanny said:

The sausage is from a local butcher. It's just an italian pork sausage.....if it's the one I think? 

That's the one!  Shoot, I was really hoping I could find it locally.  Perhaps I can, I will hunt around my local shops and see what they have for me.  Do you eat Whole30 as a Whole365?  Because that is freaking impressive. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, BecFreeby said:

That's the one!  Shoot, I was really hoping I could find it locally.  Perhaps I can, I will hunt around my local shops and see what they have for me.  Do you eat Whole30 as a Whole365?  Because that is freaking impressive. 

Haha, definitely not Whole365! We always try to follow the basic meal template, so protein, a couple veggies and a fat. I only update this account during late spring to early fall because other times of the year the natural light available is not conducive to food photography. Which is convenient because when I am updating is when the fruits and veggies are at their most vibrant! It's all an illusion, haha! (...not really...)

As for local butchers, go talk to them because if they make in-house stuff like sausage etc that wouldn't normally be compliant, they may put some aside for you before adding the sugar/crumbs etc. I know my guy will do that if I ask for something that normally isn't compliant.

7 hours ago, BecFreeby said:

How did everyone else do with the Superbowl?

Actually it was a lot tougher for me than I would have expected.  I have done many Whole30s, and normally being an IF guy I've had lots of experiences with people eating around me while I'm not, but dang, yesterday was t.o.u.g.h.

Part of it I think was that it was Day 29 for me, and since I've done these before, it was real tempting to say "screw it". Part of it was that I helped prep stuff for one of the gatherings I went to, and I made deviled eggs which I'm really good at, plus I really love eating them.  But, my friend only had store bought mayo and so I had to pass. Then the other gathering was at a local small restaurant playing board games with friends (while the football game played in the background) and they were doing "all you can eat" chicken wings. BUT the fryer oil was soybean-based, and of their several sauce options, the closest to being compliant was Frank's + butter.  Close but no cigar!

Oof, well, anyway, came through ok.  It was a good lesson for me that even an "old hand" can still have struggles.

Archived