Doing this solo - in a house of non-particiants

StefM

I just want a place to vent my frustration. I'm tired of the cutesy "smirk" when I talk about my meal plan - what not to buy or how not to make something for me. My partner is frustrating me. I know he thinks this whole thing is bogus and there is no reason for me to not have a little bit of butter on the steamed veggies he made. Ummm... o.k. I told you keep it simple NO DAIRY NO SUGAR, when in doubt don't make it for me. I know you bought uncured bacon, but it's still not program compliant!

So I was bragging a little bit about not feeling the anger or side effects of sugar and junk food withdrawal, but I guess I am. Although I believe I will feel this way on day 22 if he tries to put butter in a pan to scramble me some eggs. Just sayin'. So other solo participants (and everyone else :)) I feel your frustration too.

I hear you.  And feel the pain.

I'm about to start (tomorrow R1W1D1) and the family is not participating.  I've taken a space in the fridge for myself - boiled eggs, meal prepped the heck out of today and hope that zoodles (zucchini noodles) will allow me to participate with the spaghetti nights. {tho I think pasta is evil and I've been working hard on my husband to eliminate this}   Fortunately my husband is an excellent meat cook and only uses salt & pepper & paprika [no sugar] in most of his low & slow cooking - meat all from a butcher.   We also buy our bacon from the same butcher [St Lawrence Market in Toronto] - which is sugar free and I think nitrate free - but I have to ask if it is pasture friendly.  Long story short - we collect bacon fat in a cup.  We use bacon fat instead of butter for eggs.   I've also discovered a very cool lebanese grocery near me - which sell Ghee, Tahini and other cool things.

Best of luck & gripe away.

On 1/5/2018 at 11:59 AM, StefM said:

I just want a place to vent my frustration. I'm tired of the cutesy "smirk" when I talk about my meal plan - what not to buy or how not to make something for me. My partner is frustrating me. I know he thinks this whole thing is bogus and there is no reason for me to not have a little bit of butter on the steamed veggies he made. Ummm... o.k. I told you keep it simple NO DAIRY NO SUGAR, when in doubt don't make it for me. I know you bought uncured bacon, but it's still not program compliant!

So I was bragging a little bit about not feeling the anger or side effects of sugar and junk food withdrawal, but I guess I am. Although I believe I will feel this way on day 22 if he tries to put butter in a pan to scramble me some eggs. Just sayin'. So other solo participants (and everyone else :)) I feel your frustration too.

You are not alone with this happening, my hubs was the same way the first week which caused my having to restart...twice! I ended up having to have a talk with him about his intentionally sabotaging this for me and my very specific, very real reasons for needing to do this. I have no gallbladder and I am one of those, where there are foods that are triggers for issues but I can't figure out what foods, or ingredients is the root cause so every meal was my playing roulette and marking where the closest facility was.

I'm now just about to complete the three week mark, and even though I hear constantly that he is 'HUuunngrryy' and 'his' food he was never hungry with like this, he is way more supportive now than he was. He even made a comment a couple days ago that while I still don't seem to have any energy (I agree mostly) he can see the physical changes that this has done for me and he's willing to forego what he wants to help me stick to it, even for another round if I decide to do so. He admitted that at first, he thought this was just another diet I was trying, not a change to how I eat completely.

Hang in there, and nothing else, try to explain the very real reasons you want/need to do this. Never know...it may help?

I'm alone, too. It can be hard, but this is my 3rd round and I know how good I will feel on day 30. Totally worth the trouble!

I make non-compliant food for my kids (boo!). For my husband, I will add a grain or pasta to his meat and vegetables. Sometimes I order him prepared meals from Freshly.com (hearty portions, flavorful, not W30 compliant). Yesterday, though, when asked why he wasn't eating the delicious Non Nom Paleo Bacon & Brussels Sprouts that I had lovingly prepared...he ranted, "I will never like Brussels sprouts!" It didn't feel good, but his loss, right? Another day he came home with pizza slice and I suggested he consume the pizza at the restaurant before coming home. :-(

This weekend he ate ice cream with chocolate sauce on it. I said, that's not very nice. I feel like you are taunting me. His response, it's just a little solo cup with ice cream... you don't even like mint and chip. bawaahhh

So I fell in love with the apple, banana, coconut flakes, almond butter and I added cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice. It was the best damn thing I've eaten all week. I'm officially obsessed... in love even.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I suspect many of us don't feel supported in this journey. I want to complete it... and like a previous post of mine stated... if I can give up drinking Diet Coke I can finish the Whole30, granted if "someone" doesn't sabotage me.

Oooo, that sounds really delicious! I need to head to the store to restock my fruits, I'll have to give that a try when I get them. I admit I've been avoiding the butters all the butters that are on plan, only because I'm always afraid of the hidden stuff they don't list for ingredients

I don't even typically need to eat sweet things. I'm more of a savory eater, but this holds up to any sweet craving I have and it's quite filling. The almond butter I got ($9.99 for a tiny jar) has no added ingredients. Seems like there are 2-3 options in every store I've checked out.  All the compliant options are incredibly expensive.. but for me I think it's been well worth it.

Even though my husband knows that this is the healthiest way to eat and that grains are evil, he won't give them up. He mostly eats what I cook but sometimes adds in rice, potatoes or pasta. I guess I should count myself lucky that he isn't intentionally trying to sabotage me; that's a whole different ball game! He does complain that we can't go out to eat because of the way i eat- even when I'm not W30-ing.

Don't know if y'all have a Costco nearby but their almond butter has only roasted almonds, is very reasonably priced and is almost too delicious. It's a little runnier than some other brands but mixed w cocoa and coconut, it could easily be a food with no brakes for me. Portion control is the key AND limiting it to once a week or less.

Be strong and keep up the good work!

19 hours ago, Kattz said:

Oooo, that sounds really delicious! I need to head to the store to restock my fruits, I'll have to give that a try when I get them. I admit I've been avoiding the butters all the butters that are on plan, only because I'm always afraid of the hidden stuff they don't list for ingredients

There can't be hidden things that they don't list on the ingredients, but you've got the right idea limiting nuts and nut butters, they're not the best choices for fats and they can really disrupt digestion!

@StefM Try to stay away from anything to "replace" your regular post dinner dessert. Replacing ice cream with a fruit bowl full of nut butter and coconut shreds while technically compliant completely misses the point of the program - resetting your habits and warding off sugar cravings. If you're craving something sweet give yourself something salty like olives instead. Save the fruit/nut butter for after your 30 days, because it does sound delicious! That really does suck that your husband is "teasing" you with the ice cream - not so supportive at all!!

21 minutes ago, racheleats said:

There can't be hidden things that they don't list on the ingredients, but you've got the right idea limiting nuts and nut butters, they're not the best choices for fats and they can really disrupt digestion!

@StefM Try to stay away from anything to "replace" your regular post dinner dessert. Replacing ice cream with a fruit bowl full of nut butter and coconut shreds while technically compliant completely misses the point of the program - resetting your habits and warding off sugar cravings. If you're craving something sweet give yourself something salty like olives instead. Save the fruit/nut butter for after your 30 days, because it does sound delicious! That really does suck that your husband is "teasing" you with the ice cream - not so supportive at all!!

@ Rachel, thanks for the advice and comment. I would clarify that I don't have dessert habits or post dinner desserts. Probably the reason committing to the program has been mostly easy is because I didn't have a routine. And sweets, bread, etc. are not my downfalls. (In truth the problem food I have would be my love for the potato.) I think anytime you "can't" have something it will look good to you if someone is eating it right in front of you. 

I happened to enjoy this treat in the middle of the day on Saturday, and might not be described as a "bowl full of..." - portions @ a tablespoon of nut butter, a tablespoon of coconut shreds + a small banana and a medium apple. The recipe was posted by one of the moderators in another post, and while I don't have the almond butter brand I bought on hand to read the ingredients I was very careful in the selection and feel pretty confident that it's a good choice for me, and is Whole30 compliant.  With working out 4-7 times a week my challenge has been to eat enough to not get a headache (in part because I forgot my lunch yesterday). I'll use the olive tip next time and see if it works for my Whole30 in-spite of your ice cream bowl. ^_^

I guess when I wrote "sweet craving" I implied I was using this meal as a replacement of ice cream or sweets that I was eating prior to the Whole30.  Since this is my first Whole30... I'm going to keep it simple and make it work for me. And if I have one too many of these tasty little bowls of goodness I will still feel successful for my goals. But what is right for me, isn't right for everyone.

5 minutes ago, StefM said:

I guess when I wrote "sweet craving" I implied I was using this meal as a replacement of ice cream or sweets that I was eating prior to the Whole30.  Since this is my first Whole30... I'm going to keep it simple and make it work for me. And if I have one too many of these tasty little bowls of goodness I will still feel successful for my goals. But what is right for me, isn't right for everyone.

Totally see where you're coming from! Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else reading the post who might look at your suggestion as a good alternative to nightly ice cream. If your goal is to reduce sugar cravings this isn't the way to go...but obviously your journey is your own so if it's not going to affect you, then that's great for you!

2 minutes ago, racheleats said:

Totally see where you're coming from! Just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else reading the post who might look at your suggestion as a good alternative to nightly ice cream. If your goal is to reduce sugar cravings this isn't the way to go...but obviously your journey is your own so if it's not going to affect you, then that's great for you!

Agreed. I guess sugar cravings come in all shapes and forms. I am making a list of all the foods I was eating in a rush @ work like chips, etc. to find replacements that I keep in my desk after the Whole30. AND maybe once having done 30 days I will find it easier to pull together better food choices in a pinch. That's my hope.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, StefM said:

I happened to enjoy this treat in the middle of the day on Saturday, and might not be described as a "bowl full of..." - portions @ a tablespoon of nut butter, a tablespoon of coconut shreds + a small banana and a medium apple. The recipe was posted by one of the moderators in another post,

do you remember where this was?  Because we wouldn't be giving recipes or recommendations to do anything like this as it's against the spirit and recommendations of the program so I'd like to go have a look and make sure it's not confusing people.

On 1/5/2018 at 3:49 PM, ultrarunnergirl said:

UGH. Sorry you're in this boat. It's so annoying being around unsupportive people sniggering about your choices.

I'd highly recommend some ghee (easy to make or buy) on your veggies. And homemade mayo ... maybe don't share... :ph34r:

Ghee is a great idea - everyone in my house, even those not doing Whole30, loves that instead of butter. You need to eat some fat, so ghee is a good compromise with your partner...and the sniggering and eye-rolling are most likely defense against the nagging feeling some people have that they could not do what you have committed to doing!

@StefM 

I'm so glad to see you powering through your partner's non compliant taunting! 

If it's any consolation my family ordered pizza last night from one of my favorite places (pepperoni and everything ugghhh); I sulked for about two minutes then realized the "perfect portion" tenderloin from Wegmens I had made with crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion with zoodles overpowered the pizza smell and I barely looked at the pizza box at all as I ate.

You can do this! 

Also: fruit/coconut milk/coconut flakes is MY go to. I can't believe how good it tastes!

I've been feeling really good these past few days. Powering through to Day 13. Partner has got on board a little bit and doesn't refuse to eat what I make, but in some ways it's not too far off from what he normally likes SO I will give him credit for trying Ghee and mashed potatoes made with ghee and coconut milk. Said they were tasty even.

It's funny how things look so insanely good to me right now. I am glad I've had no pizza temptations, but wow I saw a commercial with Key Lime pie and I about salivated all over myself. And sweets aren't even my weakness.

He did eat sourdough toast with butter with his spaghetti and meatballs (sauce and meatballs whole30 compliant).... that was tough. But overall I feel stamina to power through and today finally noticed the feeling of being clear-headed and energized!

Kudos to you getting past pizza resentment! We got this!

Archived