Whole 30 with performance swimmer daughter

little_muffin

Hi,

I have done the Whole30 a couple of times now so like to think I can figure it out where I'm concerned.  But now, my daughter (8) has been invited into the Swimming Club where she will be swimming longer, harder and more often.  As they do they recommend a standard western diet, high in grain yadda yadda, but I'm loathe to allow my daughter to eat this way, at least until I've explored every avenue.

Can anyone offer advice please?  We loosely follow the plan as a family and are aware that protein and fats are better than grain but are carbs really necessary?  I think this may be where I have become unstuck.

Her rough day will look like

brekkie - omelette/boiled eggs

snack - generally fruit

lunch - at school a cooked meal along the lines of potatoes, meat and veg/ a meat with rice eg a curry/ sausage and mash and veg
             at home a baked potato and beans/chicken salad sandwich/wrap with homemade soup

snack - generally fruit

dinner - a cooked protein containing dinner more often than not but quite often with her grain of choice; rice/pasta

I am very aware now that she is swimming on 3 consecutive days and on a fri evening - sat morning with very little recovery time.  Can you please advise things I can prepare for her as pre/post work out snacks, especially straight from school on a Friday?  Perhaps things she needs more/less of on her training days?  A certain food group for energy??  I want to help her fuel her body correctly and you never know where she may take this swimming mallarchy :-)

Thanks so much in advance

• Administrators

Sorry, can you clarify on this? You want your daughter to follow a Whole30 plan? Or you're asking the Whole30 forum how to feed her generally while trying to limit grains?

If you want to feed her Whole30 in general, there are lots of threads about kids and Whole30 AND there are even some about super active kids (dancers, gymnasts) that are eating mostly Whole30 (ie completely compliant except for SWYPO and snacking) and still maintaining performance. Have a google and see what you can find.........the information is there, no sense us typing it all out again. ;)

If what you're asking is how to feed her not at all on Whole30 (considering you are indicating beans, rice, wraps, bread and pasta), I'm afraid you're in the wrong place. The Whole30 forums are provided for folks to work on and through the program and if that's not what you're wanting her to do, you'd be better off maybe searching for a "kids in sports" forum.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you're asking though, if you can clarify, we can better assist.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, little_muffin said:

I am very aware now that she is swimming on 3 consecutive days and on a fri evening - sat morning with very little recovery time.  Can you please advise things I can prepare for her as pre/post work out snacks, especially straight from school on a Friday?  Perhaps things she needs more/less of on her training days?  A certain food group for energy??  I want to help her fuel her body correctly and you never know where she may take this swimming mallarchy :-)

Thanks so much in advance

Sorry, I just wanted to address this part specifically. Unfortunately we can't really provide dietary coaching of this magnitude online.  If you're going to follow Whole30, our recommendation is to check in with her often. Discuss with her how she's feeling, what things to look for and tell you about (ie fatigue, mood, sleep). Then you can tweak and adjust as you go.

If you're not going to follow Whole30, you're probably looking for more specific nutritional counselling which we don't provide here. Just to be clear, we can help people work through the program and troubleshoot as best we can but if you're looking for performance specific needs for a child, this might not be the place to do that. All of our advise and coaching is based on the participant doing personal bio-feedback of a sort and tweaking as they go. With an 8 year old we can't really make suggestions of that sort because we're not there observing and helping with the feedback.

Does that make sense?

Aw thanks for your response, sorry if I wasn't clear.

No, my question was completely regarding how to feed her to support her training.  I have done the whole30 so know what she should and shouldn't be eating, the example I gave was her current diet, I don't particularly wish it to be her diet going forward so I can alter that myself.  I am relatively sedentary due to health difficulties and have never done performance sport so don't have the first clue on things to add or supplement on the whole30 plan.  I hope this is more clear...

• Administrators

OK, so if you are wanting her to eat a Whole30 diet then it would be treated like any other athlete. Search through our athlete threads and the kids threads and you will find the ones about the highly active kids along with general athlete recommendations.

That said, she needs to eat to fuel her body. Template meals to the high end, at least one serving of starchy veggie per day, protein and fat before workout, lean protein and starchy veggie after, neither of which are meant to replace her meals.

Check in often to the metrics I mentioned above. There's nothing in rice, beans and bread that she can't get in protein, veggies and fats but the caloric load of whole foods is generally less than that of processed so you'd need to make sure that she is eating enough. Snacking is fine for kids but make them useful snacks containing at least protein and fat (no fruits alone). 

Again, we can't really coach kids because they aren't the ones here telling us the nuances of how they feel. She'll be telling you and you having done Whole30 before should be prepared to help her tweak her intake. Again, by reading through and studying our athlete and active kid recommendations.

Note that her performance may suffer as she works to become fat adapted. This is to be expected and can only be ridden out, adding back grains and processed foods only slows or halts the process.

Archived