How much is too much - potatoes?

Catterly

My spouse and I are beginning the Whole30 on January 17th, so we're in the process of planning what our kitchen is going to look like and how our staple foods will change.

One of the main issues we've always had is that she has some specific dietary needs.  She deals with IBS regularly, and too many raw vegetables and fruit can be really unpleasant for her.  She also had her gallbladder out about a year ago, although she has been able to reintroduce fattier meals at this point with very few issues, occasionally taking an ox bile supplement if she's worried.  

We're already prepared to cook vegetables to ease her digestion, and there should be no problem with the meat quantity as she's never had issues with that except for when her gallbladder started being an issue (again, that's no longer a problem).  

However!  She has always relied on a heavy serving of carbs to help her feel full and keep her stomach from getting uncomfortable with extra veggies.  Normally these carbs come in the form of rice, pasta, or breads.  Well obviously that's not going to work!  The next obvious choice?  Potatoes.

Potatoes look like they will be the easiest thing to add to our diet regularly for quick lunches and a compliant carb for dinners.  And they are cheap, which is important as well if we are looking at getting better quality meats.  But I wasn't sure if there was an issue with having too many potatoes, especially since many of the recipes have much less in the way of starchy carbs and focus more on the veggies and meats.  

If we eat, say, two potatoes a day (mixture of regular and sweet), would we still see the same benefits at the end of our Whole30?  Or would we be adding too much carby sugar to our diets?  Do you have any other suggestions?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Catterly said:

My spouse and I are beginning the Whole30 on January 17th, so we're in the process of planning what our kitchen is going to look like and how our staple foods will change.

One of the main issues we've always had is that she has some specific dietary needs.  She deals with IBS regularly, and too many raw vegetables and fruit can be really unpleasant for her.  She also had her gallbladder out about a year ago, although she has been able to reintroduce fattier meals at this point with very few issues, occasionally taking an ox bile supplement if she's worried.  

We're already prepared to cook vegetables to ease her digestion, and there should be no problem with the meat quantity as she's never had issues with that except for when her gallbladder started being an issue (again, that's no longer a problem).  

However!  She has always relied on a heavy serving of carbs to help her feel full and keep her stomach from getting uncomfortable with extra veggies.  Normally these carbs come in the form of rice, pasta, or breads.  Well obviously that's not going to work!  The next obvious choice?  Potatoes.

Potatoes look like they will be the easiest thing to add to our diet regularly for quick lunches and a compliant carb for dinners.  And they are cheap, which is important as well if we are looking at getting better quality meats.  But I wasn't sure if there was an issue with having too many potatoes, especially since many of the recipes have much less in the way of starchy carbs and focus more on the veggies and meats.  

If we eat, say, two potatoes a day (mixture of regular and sweet), would we still see the same benefits at the end of our Whole30?  Or would we be adding too much carby sugar to our diets?  Do you have any other suggestions?

Starchy veg are definitely okay (potatoes, sweet potato, winter squash, root veggies).  The recommendation is for every participant to start with a fist sized serving a day and then work up or down depending on context... if you have to eat a fist sized serving at every meal, that's totally fine, but I would suggest starting at one or two meals and seeing if it's necessary to add in the third meal... if it is, no problem.  Starchy veg are not considered 'carby sugar' on this plan, they're a vegetable with more starch and eaten in the context of a template meal with fat, protein and non starchy veg, they're perfectly fine :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have very similar issues with IBS and too many veggies. I've found that a small amount of potatoes along with another root vegetable (like carrots, turnips, etc) is really helpful. I feel satiated but do not get into a carb coma from too many potatoes. You can chop up a bunch of root vegetables and potatoes and roast them all at the same time to make things easy!

Archived