Not losing weight as easily this time

When I completed whole30 in January weight just fell off.  Despite sticking to the dietary rules 100 percent with no cheats I did not have any NSV  and was not able to determine food intolerances.  The only thing that kept me going was weight loss and I did weigh myself daily which was my choice. This time around the weight doesn’t seem to be coming off and as per last time I’m not seeing any other positive results. Any suggestions?

• Moderators

You didn't see ANY non scale victories last time?  Your skin wasn't better, your sleep was the same, mood, skin, label reading, cooking, prepping, planning,... there's a huge list if you google 'whole30 non scale victories pdf' and I really challenge you to go to it and see what you had last time and what you might be having this time.

Secondly this is not a weight loss diet, it's an elimination protocol to see how certain foods affect your body.  Did you do the reintroductions last time as written?

Third, when did you start this round of the Whole30?  

Please don't weigh yourself... its actually one of the rules of the Whole30 just as sincerely as 'don't eat dairy' and while yes, it is your choice to do so, it's actually breaking one of the five rules of the program so we really encourage you to follow it.

Are you eating to the template or are you skimping on fat and carbs because you're trying to lose weight?  If the latter, then that will actually be working in your disfavor as your body will go into 'starvation mode' in which it thinks famine is coming and it will hold on to everything you give it... healthy confident bodies with good hormones are safe to lose weight from... restricted bodies with unbalanced hormones do not drop weight easily if at all.

I did not have the NSV listed last time despite high hope I would.  My skin did not clear, my sleep did not improved and I didn't have tiger blood or increased energy.  My clothes fit better (that's on the list) because I was losing weight and I did become better at reading labels. 

I did not cheat and followed a strict slow reintroduction in hopes of determining food intolerances.  Nothing, absolutely nothing ,in terms of insight or information came of that.  I tolerated everything on reintroduction but I know I have intolerances.

I'm not sure about your comment eating to template.  I am not skimping on fat or at least I do not believe so.  I am eating carbs such as sweet potatoes and veggies. 

Just an FYI - whole30 in January had me going from a relaxed happy person to someone who was often angry and frustrated.  I became socially isolated as my friends plan activities around dining and you cannot eat whole30 compliant in any of the restaurants in my city.  Believe me I've tried and studied the menus.  For a mandatory work lunch out I paid $16 for 2 poached eggs.  Not good.  The eggs benedict had hollandaise from a package, the oil didn't meet Melissa's specifications when it came to the hash browns so I paid full price for 2 poached eggs.  At another excellent restaurant I sat with a glass of water for 3 hours while everyone else enjoyed their meals.  The only compliant option was they could bring me a bowl of undressed lettuce leaves with a few shredded carrots on top.  Not happening when being charged full price.    I have another evening activity coming up and once again I will sit with my glass of water, enjoying the company of my friends and watch them eat.  I know this will make them feel uncomfortable but I don't have any other options as it is a movie film fest followed by an Italian dinner. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, jplvernonbc said:

I did not have the NSV listed last time despite high hope I would.  My skin did not clear, my sleep did not improved and I didn't have tiger blood or increased energy.  My clothes fit better (that's on the list) because I was losing weight and I did become better at reading labels. 

I did not cheat and followed a strict slow reintroduction in hopes of determining food intolerances.  Nothing, absolutely nothing ,in terms of insight or information came of that.  I tolerated everything on reintroduction but I know I have intolerances.

I'm not sure about your comment eating to template.  I am not skimping on fat or at least I do not believe so.  I am eating carbs such as sweet potatoes and veggies. 

Just an FYI - whole30 in January had me going from a relaxed happy person to someone who was often angry and frustrated.  I became socially isolated as my friends plan activities around dining and you cannot eat whole30 compliant in any of the restaurants in my city.  Believe me I've tried and studied the menus.  For a mandatory work lunch out I paid $16 for 2 poached eggs.  Not good.  The eggs benedict had hollandaise from a package, the oil didn't meet Melissa's specifications when it came to the hash browns so I paid full price for 2 poached eggs.  At another excellent restaurant I sat with a glass of water for 3 hours while everyone else enjoyed their meals.  The only compliant option was they could bring me a bowl of undressed lettuce leaves with a few shredded carrots on top.  Not happening when being charged full price.    I have another evening activity coming up and once again I will sit with my glass of water, enjoying the company of my friends and watch them eat.  I know this will make them feel uncomfortable but I don't have any other options as it is a movie film fest followed by an Italian dinner. 

It can be very diffuclt in some locations to eat out, that's for sure - it really brings to mind how there are not a lot of healthy options in a lot of restaurants... Melissa just posted on instagram the easiest Whole30 breakfast in a reastaurant; poached eggs, half an avocado and a side of sliced tomato with coffee.... I'm sorry the restaurant charged you full price, to me that's something I would have quietly spoke to the manager about.

If you already know you have intolerances and the Whole30 makes you miserable, how about making your own Food Freedom plan based on what you know about what you can and cannot eat?  What is the reason for trying an extremely strict elimination protocol again if it did not prove what you already know about your intolerances and it makes you unhappy?

I make it a point not to eat out as much on Whole30. It really solves many problems. 1. You learn other ways to socialize other than making food the social activity. 2. You save money. 3. You really focus on eating what fuels your body and following the template instead of eating only 2 eggs when that is not adhering to the meal template.

My point is that I realize there are social engagements that require our attendance, but maybe you could also step up for some of the suggested engagements and offer to cook a big pot of soup for the group or suggest only doing the movie fest, not ending with food at all OR just not going to the food part. At the end of the day, you have control over your day and your life. You can choose to allow negative emotions in your mind while at these engagements, you can control the emotions or you can control the environment and leave.

If you cannot avoid social engagements (I've had Whole30's where I've had to attend events where non-compliant food & drink are served), it can make your life easier to plan ahead. Eat a mini meal (or even a full one if possible) ahead of the gathering. Contact the restaurant ahead of time to see if there are options that meet your needs, and plan to make an early exit if possible. While it's challenging, it shouldn't be an obstacle to your happiness. And if it is, Sugarcube's suggestion of making your own Food Freedom plan may be the way to go! Good luck to you!

Archived