Project phoenix

kittycat

Thank you, juzbo, being welcomed is always nice :) I have a deep respect and admiration for your W100!

Day 3: It worked! I went to the house of a couple I only met recently and they were totally cool with the dietary requirements. Maybe it helps that these are permaculture guys who know a lot about paleo food although they still do eat and like their grains, at least every once in a while.

Stupid me figured out that the headache was mainly due to too much sun yesterday and I went well covered today and stayed in the shade, all good now. Apart from that it is half past eleven and I wanted to read more before going to bed. Well, too many things happening. On the other hand, I do have my sweet potatoes precooked for the week, pickled some lemons with salt, and read up on my spirit animal - that's also good I think.

Breakfast was grilled chicken breast with avocado, orange, and black coffee.

Lunch was a great veggie soup (thanks Juliet) and a fresh out of the backyard yummy big salad with grapefruits and walnuts and egg.

(I resisted home-made mead though, proud of myself.)

Went for a long run in the early evening, felt great and still do.

Dinner was the other half of the ground beef with kale and onion and tomato salad from yesterday.

Sleep: Good, nearly 9 hours, seems I needed it.

Mood: Also good, off to bed now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 4:

Yoga: started off well, then a small cramp in thigh towards the end in an advanced balance pose, no wonder after a 90 minute run yesterday - got some potassium with my sweet potato for breakfast

Breakfast: Chicken and half a sweet potato

Lunch: Chicken with guacamole and broccoli sprouts, the other half sweet potato, two pots of black coffee afterwards (was probably too much)

Dinner: Taro and eggs with sprouts, banana and nut butter

Sleep: less than 6 hours but feeling well rested

Mood: good :)

Edit later in the evening: I have cramps in my stomach. Analysis: I had too much coffee. Furthermore, dinner was to small (at a friend's house and I didn't want to ask for more) which is why I had banana and nut butter later, also not a good idea. Will improve that.

Day 5:

Meal 1 was a great dandelion salad with avocado, strawberries, banana, and eggs

Meal 2 was a dandelion salad with strawberries and mixed nuts and celery - missing protein, I know, but we were hiking for hours and I simply mis-planned

Meal 3 was delicious mango with even more delicious tikka chicken (and a lot of it, made up for earlier missing protein) with bell pepper and onion

Evening: kombucha drink (sneaked it into the bowling place where everybody else had their beer)

Sleep: 6 hours or so, but good, after a long meditation, and we have full moon, when I always sleep less

Mood: great hiking today, and: no snacking at all at any time during the day!

Coffee messes up my stomach too :(

I am envious of all your yoga, running, hiking etc...

Thanks, Juzbo. Yes, I am lucky that right now it works pretty well to fit in all the exercise. I need to catch up on sleep though. Today I felt my body would have needed more rest, but I had promised my yoga teacher I would be there at the 6 a.m. class so I got up. And enjoyed, but tired.

I'm ok with some coffee, lucky again - I just shouldn't have three strong coffees in one afternoon ;)

Day 6:

Meal 1 after morning yoga was chicken with blueberries and almonds and avocado, black coffee

Meal 2 was broccoli, Spanish eggplant dip and a bit more chicken

Meal 3 was delicious kale with home-made (by my friend Juliet) cashew nut butter and tahin, plus carrots, cucumber, tomato salsa, and some babaganoush, plus a little bit of guacamole. I had too much of Juliet's cashew butter, it was just so yummy. Third meal lacked a little protein again, but I was with Vegetarian friends at their house.

Sleep: 5,5h, not enough after all that hiking and stuff, so this night will be more.

Mood: Good during the day, then cranky at the supermarket because I didn't find what I wanted - I will stick with my preferred one with lots of organic and natural stuff for now instead of trying other places that are too fancy with too much processed foods and little else. I did get coconut water though, so that was a little rewarding as they don't have it at the organic place.

When I walked up the stairs to my apartment after work I thought "Ugh, I don't like Mondays." And then I realized that I was already Thursday and that I was about to head off to a great climbing weekend in Red Rocks Canyon, which I am super excited about, so then I felt good again ;)

D7:

Meal 1 papaya, blueberries and eggs sunny-side up and carrot.

Meal 2 great veggie soup made by my friend Juliet, another egg, and a blood orange.

Very excited to go to Red Rocks this afternoon and wondering how easy or hard it will be to stay compliant while going camping with new friends.

On the other hand, that might make it easier as my habits will come with me instead of me changing my habits after knowing them for longer, in case this makes any sense to you.

Goal: Get enough sleep!

Enjoy your easter weekend :)

Actually that makes a lot of sense. Its so much easier for me now to explain that I dont eat dairy, grains, legumes or soy to new friends than explain to my old friends what I am no longer eating that I used to have. And they dont seem to be phased by "I am not having sugar or alcohol for 100 days". I tell any that ask why .. so I can mopre easily figure out what foods affect me and how much.

Happy Easter (its already Good Friday here)

Thursday meal 3: sweet potato, eggs, broccoli, eggplant salsa

day 8:

Friday meal 1: sprouts, eggplant salsa, almond milk, sweet potato, black coffee

Then climbing in the blazing desert Sun of red rocks, great time, sweating a lot, drinking liters and liters of water, dirty all over, happy.

Meal 2: Orange, nuts, eggs, celery, sprouts

Back to the camp site, rough wash, change clothes, of to Vegas, but no gambling, just dinner ;)

Meal 3: salad with avocado, zucchini, tomato, and steak

Slept under the night sky in the desert - like a baby.

Mood: completely happy.

day 9:

Saturday meal 1: sweet potato, carrot, greens, Orange

Back at the climbing site, I got struck by migraine on the first climb, had to lower down, crouched in the shade and tried to sleep for hours while the others were climbing, felt awful, sick, dizzy, must have been too much Sun and too little electrolytes the day before...

Meal 2: migraine, so not hungry, when not too sick any more I had a carrot and an apple

Meal 3: bbq bell peppers, chopped pork and chicken, mushrooms, mixed nuts and fruit

Sleep: well, stars again, feeling completely smoked from the log fire, but finally the headache got less.

day 10:

Sunday meal 1: omelet with veggies, black coffee

Then drove back to the coast, my first ever drive on a seven lane freeway ;)

Meal 2: spinach salad, fruit salad, organic jamon (and very proud that I managed to stay away from all the Easter sweets at my family's place)

Meal 3: more spinach salad and jamon, avocado, hand of mixed nuts

positively surprised about how well this weekend has gone. at the same time, I am feeling that I am still not listening to my body as to when it is really hungry. I feel I tend to overeat. watch this more closely during the next days. everything else, good. migraine? well, too much desert Sun, I have recovered now. happy to be with my cousins right now. really happy. and I hope the new climbing crew invites me next time as well :)

Sleep? Had a hard time to fall asleep because so much had happened during those 3 days that wanted some more attention...

Day 11:

6 am yoga with my cousin Jacquie, definitely a good start into the week.

PWO snack: coconut water

Meal 1, rather late due to playing with the kids: final leftover spinach salad and ham, a handfull of mixed nuts and a banana

Now work :)

Update: Snack (that should rather have been meal 2, but wasn't hungry) around 3pm: Kombucha with chia seeds

Later: sad and cold and hungry and... homesick. Can't attribute all that is going on in my life to effects of food, and for sure not the last one nor that the AC in this building reminds me of Antarctica... Southern Cali? Only outside...

I'm fleeing this sad place now, out in the sun and get some reading done. Well, might start with putting some food into that empty hole before.

Still later on day 11:

Meal 2: delicious broccoli and cauliflower with ground beef in onion and tomato sauce, topped with black olives, mixed nuts and a peach - the other half of this will be breakfast tomorrow.

Feeling better now. Got a couple of books at the library, finally signed up for the PADI online course to get my scuba certificate, got my laundry and cleaning done and decided I was not going to fret about not having accomplished all the work-work that I had intended to get done today.

I haven't noticed huge improvements in my sleep yet, still waiting for that.

However, I have decided to extend to a Whole100. Past day 10 was the one third mark of the W30 but I don't feel like one third done with my challenge, I rather feel like one tenth of my challenge. Three days ago I still thought I was going to wait until day 20 to announce this, but I am pretty sure I will make this work.

Day 12:

Slept well, weird dreams again, but I only remember being busy and woke up quite refreshed after more than 8 hours.

Still unsure whether I need to improve my bed, which is a creaky old futon, to be able to sleep better, need to experiment.

My shoulders hurt a little (plus twitchy muscles) as does my wrist, might be stressed from climbing + yoga, need to recover and make sure I have refilled all the electrolytes I need. I just red up on it a little and I will try to have coconut water and green tea among my after-workout drinks and then also check for appropriate snacks.

In my perception, my physical ability to recover after hard exercise has not improved yet that much. Give it more time, we'll see. :mellow:

Meal 1: the other half of broccoli-cauliflower-beef-peach-nuts from yesterday, black coffee

Meal 2: beetroot greens and chicken with sun butter

I should cut back on coffee. I just like it too much at the moment, but I feel I am having too much :rolleyes:

I want to add coffee back in to my diet but when I do the aches and pains just increase so dramatically

That is really nasty, sorry about that...

Didn't have meal 3 yesterday, because meal 2 was at quarter to 5 and even after climbing I wasn't really hungry. I had a handfull of cashews though as Post-workout snack before I went to bed.

D13:

Slept well, went to yoga, did grocery shopping and got some delicious yogi green tea with licorice, ginger, and lemongrass, yumm. This will help me cut down the coffee for sure. As I can't control the AC in my office, I have to fight the cold somehow :ph34r:

Meal 1: Strawberries, carrot, banana, salad, sun butter, and smoked salmon, plus black coffee (with natural chocolate and macadamia flavors directly in there, no added syrups or other crap, and this stuff is really good, so I do need an equally yummy tea mix to cut down on it ;) )

Meal 2 (packed already) will be: snow peas, carrots, salmon and guacamole :P

Have a great day - that's my plan!

Phew, had sun butter again, and it was only snacking because I was bored from and unnerved by work - not good. Also, it seems to be a food without breaks for me, and even one that is already pointed out in the book, so I should've known better than buying it ;)

Ah, well, at least I didn't have any coffee in the afternoon anymore.

Got stuck in the office, luckily I had meal 2 rather late, so a late little meal 3 followed (strawberries, salmon, salad) at 9pm.

D14:

Morning run, rather gentle one, but did me well. I have very tense neck muscles after ignoring my sore shoulder throughout the yoga class (and compensating my using my neck muscles for support) and now I have a headache from that, stupid.

Meal 1 was carrot, strawberries, banana, sautéed kale and omelet, sprinkled with a few black olives.

(I made a big one with many eggs, so the other half is packed for lunch with snow peas.)

Meal 2 was the rest of the omelet with snow peas and more black olives, plus cashews and peaches.

Meal 3 (after bouldering) was indian veggies and shrimps - yummm.

Went to bed too late... didn't I say I needed more sleep? But yoga at 6am is calling...

D15: sleep? too little. weekend coming closer ;)

yoga, coconut water

M1 huge kale omelet in coconut oil with a few strawberries

M2 leftover of omelet, carrots and guacamole, raw trek mix

Black coffee in the afternoon - made the headache from sore neck muscles go away - yey :)

On D15 in the evening I went to my first real party during this challenge - and I had a lot of fun chatting and dancing while just sipping my water, stayed until 3am. Wouldn't have thought that it could be that easy.

D16 started late, after the party I really needed my sleep.

Farmer's market, then preWO bite, then two hours hilly run (I was exhausted by the end, but felt good), afterwards at about 5pm a pan with grounded beef, kale, cauliflower and a bit of fruit.

After visiting a friend in the early evening, I got a craving for bananas and was wondering whether I had recovered all the electrolytes from my draining run, so I went to the shop and got some bananas. Slept really well.

D17: Off to Joshua Tree to go climbing!

Meal 1 was eggs sunny side up, some fruit and veggies and nuts.

Meal 2 was a packed lunch of yellow beets, guacamole, and salad, with tiny apples, under a boulder in the shade from the desert sun.

Meal 3 was a really good steak salad before driving home, and after a tiring 3 hour drive I got another banana with a few nuts before going to bed.

D18: all well, got a little too much sun yesterday, but otherwise good.

Muscles still a little sore from all the hill running on Saturday, not so much from climbing yesterday.

Yoga in the morning, meal 1 was eggs with kale and almond butter and an avocado.

Meal 2 is the last yellow beet, guacamole and salad, plus more kale with scrambled eggs.

I found out that I get a scratchy throat from eating whole yellow beets - maybe overdid it a little. Next morning it was gone.

In the evening I had salad with chicken breast and guacamole.

And coffee late in the evening with a friend, making me all giggly and jittery and I read until 2am - stupid ;)

D19: Meal 1 & 2 Scrambled eggs with lots of kale, bits of edible flowers and guacamole on top - yumm.

Went climbing in the evening (lead! pre-snack mixed nuts and fruit) and then steak salad with balsamique vinaigrette.

D20: Meal 1 & 2 (simply making double portions and taking the rest with me to work for meal 2) omelet with cilantro, sauteed rainbow kale with tahin, and guacamole (finishing off the big batch I made Sunday evening). Plus little fuji apples and black coffee.

Getting a tattoo tonight, so no workout for a couple of days. Excited though!

Wow, the tattoo session was ... great ... and the results of the first session are already amazing, excited to get the second part done in a couple of weeks.

Derval, can't seem to be able to send you a PM, so I'll just post it here: you probably won't believe this, but I am actually getting a tattoo done right now based on the phoenix you sent me when I started here. Just wanted to let you know. It might have seemed like a small thing for you to send it to me, but it has inspired me a lot. Thank you.

D21: Didn't want any more eggs, so today was a chicken day so far :)

Also, after overeating sweet potatoes about ten days ago I didn't want them anymore, now had very little carbs.

I felt like I needed some carbs and introduced a little more fruit. Ok.

I might feel like having sweet potato again tomorrow or so.

I've realized that my descriptions are often missing M3 but no worries, I do have it. Tonight might be Indian cooking again.

Didn't sleep all that well nor that long last night due to the fresh tattoo, no wonder, but that'll be alright.

Looking forward to another wonderful weekend, hope to get around to some reading.

Awww, I'm really pleased the image spoke to you, what a great tattoo that will be, can't wait to see pics when it's finsihed & healed!

If you would like a preview of the current status, check out Will Thompson on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/iwilltattoo).

He is the artist putting it on my skin and he is great.

D22: M1 Eggs with kale and avocado, plus apricots and cashews.

M2 will be coleslaw-avocado-lettuce wraps with sweet potato :)

Going to my nephew's (8 years old) flag football game tonight - excited to see him play.

Have a great day!

Thanks, Derval!

Sleep has improved by now, the tattoo is healing well.

Went back to exercising today, did a great yoga class and went biking :)

D22 ended with my nephew winning and a yummy steak salad for M3

D23 M1 was an egg scramble with ground pork, avocado, onion, and peppers

M2 was rather late a splendid raw veggie wrap filled with kale and eggs and cilantro and nuts and edible flowers

Then I went to a dessert party fearing the worst, being surrounded by delicious pies for hours.

I invented a dish of chia pudding (chias soaked in almond milk) with fresh fruit to be sure I could at least have _some_thing and I stayed out until 2:30 am drinking water, having had a bit of the chia-fruit-mix and everybody loved it :)

D24

M1 another one of these fabulous wraps with tomato and eggs and kale and sunflower butter

M2 tomatoes - so good! and a small 'paleo muesli' with fresh fruit and nuts and almond milk - just felt like it, and it didn't feel like SWYPO, but it was just what I wanted.

Now a little more work, then finally sleep early for once ;)

Archived