Sign in to follow this  
CaveMom

CaveMom W30 12/28 Start Date

I’m having trouble posting on my other thread.  Others are able to reply, but I can’t seem to get it to take, so I’ll try it here.

Yesterday was Day 10!  I wish I could say I felt great, but I was extremely tired, due to hormonal issues I’m sure.  I also kept wondering why I was doing this to myself.  I could be on another diet that is way less restrictive.  

I had to remind myself that other diets have worked for me in the past to lose weight, but hey didn’t teach me anything about my relationship with food.  Otherwise I wouldn’t keep gaining the weight back.  Other diets did not reveal possible sensitivities to food groups or help me kick my sugar addiction.  

So, I’m determined to stick with this and I’m trusting the Whole30 timeline that these feelings will pass.  

Yesterday I ate:

Breakfast:  Sweet Potato Toast with Almond Butter, Banana, Pecans, and Cinnamon.  Deviled Eggs.  Coffee and Nutpods.

Lunch:  Outback Steakhouse:  6oz sirloin, sweet potato with cinnamon only, steamed broccoli.  Told them to hold butter, soy products and any spices with sugar.  They were very accommodating and the meal was great!

Dinner:  Was really full all evening from the meal at Outback.  Had a saucer sized plate of slow cooked beef ribs, potato and carrots.  Apple slices.  

Snack:  Frozen grapes.

Cavemom! Crazy how you, ceerock, and I were all asking ourselves the same “why am I doing this crazy-hard regime” question yesterday. We all made it through, though, so that’s says something about our resolve to get to the end, right?

Your meals sound great. You do an incredible job of sticking to the template, and to go out to dinner and stick to things on a day when you’re questioning things is very admirable!

Hope things go well today.

Day 11:  

I made steamed broccoli tonight.  I don’t especially like broccoli to begin with, but I ate a piece and almost couldn’t swallow it.  I don’t ever want broccoli again.

aI think we are getting tired of the same types of foods.  I haven’t been using recipes and I think I need to try some new things to spice things up.

Honestly, (I’m ok and still committed) but I need to vent.  It’s not just the broccoli.  It’s the meat, meat, meat!  Are humans supposed to eat this much meat?  And what about potatoes.  How many ways can one human consume the potato?  I’ve got some really concerning digestive issues going on.  What’s that all about?  Ugh!

I know that hormonal issues are at play and this will get better, but I’ve got to find a way to make this rough patch more bearable.  

Sorry.  I don’t mean to be a downer.  Just needed to get it off my chest.  Like I said, committed, but discouraged...

Today I had:

Breakfast:  Muffin Tin Frittata with pan fried Applegate hot dog, broccoli fritter, clementine.  Coffee and nut pods.

Lunch:  Chicken fajitas with cauliflower rice and fruit salad.

Dinner:  Leftover pork loin, lemon parsley potatoes and (skipped) broccoli.

Snack:  Frozen Grapes

I'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged.  You are doing a great job of holding the course.  You are definitely not a downer...you're saying it like it is.

Maybe trying new recipes like the ones in a sheet pan would help break up the food monotony.  If you hate broccoli, don't eat it...there are plenty of other veggies.

Hang in there.  It really does get better. (and you're already more than a third of the way through)

Sending you hugs.  :)

I hear you, Cavemom, I definitely hear you. I felt the same way the past 3 days, and wanted to throw in the towel a million times today. Seriously. How are we going to make it another 3’ish weeks? I actually have no idea. But, I will say this: according to the timeline, we pass 3 big milestones this week. We are now officially 1/3 of the way through. We will hit the 2 week mark, and the best one yet, the half way mark, all by Friday! So hang in there, focus on those exciting milestones, don’t look back or too far forward. If you do, it’ll feel, as if this thing will never end. And for goodness sakes, don’t eat anymore broccoli, or anything else you can’t stand. It’s not worth the torture!

so sorry to hear you are feeling so discouraged! for the record, i hate steamed broccoli too! but roasted in the oven with garlic and lemon and olive oil--YUM. definitely try some recipes--i love to cook and i think that's why i'm sticking with this so far--having so many new recipes to try. by the way i'll be making this roasted cauliflower tonight: https://blog.paleohacks.com/roasted-cauliflower/

I just discovered cauliflower rice and my whole family LOVES it!  I’ve known about it for a while but had no idea how good it was. 

Day 13 is behind me!  Went to Whole Foods this morning   Got primal green goddess dressing.  My husband basically covered his dinner with it and almost drained the bottle.  It’s been a while since he has had dressing.  When I told him it cost 7 bucks  he did a double take.    He just said, “buy more”.  Poor guy, I put him through so much and he just goes along with my hair-brained ideas and never complains.  

Im feeling a lot better, though admittedly very ready to add food groups back to my diet.  The last couple of days have been very difficult mentally.  I loved MimiHi’s running metaphor.  It helped a lot!

Today I ate:

Breakfast:  Mixed fruit with pecans, sunflower seeds, and raisins.  I poured coconut milk over it and ate it like cereal.  Pretty good, but got hungry a couple of hours later.  

Snack:  Two slices of leftover pork tenderloin.

Lunch:  Applegate hot dog with leftover potatoes, raw veggies with green goddess dressing and orange slices.

Dinner:  Baked Chicken breast with cauliflower fried rice, green beans and bananas with almond butter drizzled on top.

I'm going to go buy that Primal Green Goddess Dressing tomorrow. I was in Whole Foods today but had to dash out too quickly. Aren't bananas and almond butter the best thing ever some days? Shows how far we've come in such a short while!

You will be officially half way tomorrow!!! How exciting is that!! Fantastic job getting to this HUGE milestone!!:D

Day 13 - Again

Yesterday was day 13 for me, but I spent all day on day 12 thinking I was a day ahead.  I actually think it’s a good thing I lost count.  I’m starting not to obsess as much and just living the plan.  

I really do feel so much better than I did 1/3 of the way through.  I usually give up when I start feeding into my negative thoughts, but having the Whole30 timeline and great support here on the forum has helped tremendously to overcome the discouragement.  I learned a valuable lesson about just sticking with it.  

Ive still been taking pics of my food which has been oddly fun for me.  I keep thinking, “oh no!  I’m one of those people!”

I can’t post them here because I ran out of memory here on the forum.  I started putting them here: http://Instagram.com/ecave01

Day 13 meals:

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and fruit

Lunch:  Roasted veggies and shrimp over spring greens with lime vinaigrette.

Dinner:  slow cooker pork chops with mashed sweet potatoes and green beans.

Non- Scale Wins so far:

I am not obsessing over food as much. 

Cravings seem to be under control.

The arthritis pain in my hip has eased up a bit.  Carpal tunnel still the same, but I’ll take it!

Im sleeping very well.

PMS symptoms not as severe as in the past.

I learned to stop trusting my feelings.  They fluctuate.  Just stick with the plan.  

I have more energy to play with my kids!  I got on the trampoline with them yesterday!

I don’t have blood sugar swings throughout the day. 

I actually feel when I’m getting full and have stopped  eating on many occasions because I knew I had had enough.

I feel like I’m the boss of food, not the other way around.

I have improved my cooking skills and enjoyed the creative process of preparing meals.

I discovered a new, albeit seemingly silly hobby of taking photos of my food, lol!

I have learned how valuable the support of others is.  You should never go it alone!

Even more, I’ve learned that it’s vital to be that word of encouragement for those around us.  (I’m still working on this as it doesn’t come naturally.  MimiHi, you are the one who has shown me the power of listening and sharing an uplifting word.  It has changed my outlook in all my relationships and I’m truly thankful.)

Cavemom, whatever day you're on whether its day 13 or day 14, you're doing an fantastic job keeping on track and sticking with it! I couldn't have gotten this far without you and your fancy pics of all your fabulous meals, so thank YOU for that! And thanks for the very nice compliment. 

According to MY schedule, YOU are officially two weeks into this crazy commitment, so I hope you go treat yourself to something fabulous because you've earned it.:)

Day 14 - Two weeks down!

Today was fairly uneventful.  The kids are finally back in school!  Went to the grocery this evening before dinner.  When I was checking out, the cashier asked the woman behind me if the mushrooms on the belt were hers.  The lady said, “No.  All the healthy food is hers.  The junk is mine.”  I told her we were doing Whole30.  She had not heard of it, so I spread the word and walked away feeling really proud of my food haul.  

For breakfast today, I had scrambled eggs with veggies and salsa with apple slices and Cinnamon.

Lunch was chicken salad over spring mix, green goddess dressing, pistachios and a clementine.

Dinner was a bunless burger with lettuce, mayo, tomato, onions and pickles.  Oven fried and roasted Brussels.  Watermelon slice. 

I don’t think you are technically supposed to do oven fries.  But oh well.  I’m a rebel today.  I really don’t see the difference between roasted chunks and long slices of roasted potatoes.  I’m not much of a French fry person anyway so it’s not a trigger food for me.

Tomorrow is the half way point!  So excited about Day 15!

Congratulations on hitting the two week mark, Cavemom!! And tomorrow.....drum roll.......HALF WAY!!!

Wow. Just typing that feels pretty darn good, so I'm sure you're thrilled to be hitting that mark in just a few short hours. Well done, and good job spreading the word. Maybe she'll be posting here right along with us in a few short days!

YOU ARE HALF WAY!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

So exciting, Cavemom! Hope you're having a great day!! Thanks for being such an awesome WHOLE30 Friend! I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you!!:wub:

I’m half way!!!  I feel so good about Day 15!  I really can’t believe I’ve been doing this diet.  I’ve lost weight in the past by counting calories, but I would starve myself through the day, just so I could “afford” a dessert at the end of the day.  It was such an unhealthy relationship with food and this plan has changed that in me.  I’m unbelievably proud of myself and everyone here!  We are awesome!

So, my in-laws moved into our in-law suite a couple of weeks ago.  I think I was on Day 2 or 3 when they moved in.  My husband has been sending dinner plates over to them most evenings.  Today, my Mother-in-Law said she had lost 3 pounds and the only thing she has changed are the dinners we make!  I thought that was pretty neat!

Being back at work has helped to take my mind off food so much.  Whole30 seems to be getting easier in terms of planning and prepping.  Going to the grocery is a lot less stressful now that I know what to get.  It’s starting to feel like a normal way of living.  

I don’t know what “tiger blood” is supposed to feel like, but according  to the Whole30 timeline, it arrives on Day 16.  Curious what that’s all about.  I’ll let you know tomorrow if I start roaring, lol!

Today I had coconut milk over mixed fruit, almonds and raisins for breakfast.  Coffee and nutpods.

Lunch was a leftover hamburger patty with lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles and mayo.  Carrots with ranch and a clementine.  

Dinner was Boston butt steak with mashed potatoes, asparagus and spinach stir fry and melon balls.

@Cavemom Wow, I've been reading over your posts the last few days (I'm on Day 3) and I'm really inspired by how you're eating. I saw you ate at Outback a few days ago and had a great (and compliant) dinner.

Do you only allow snacking when you feel you need it?

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your posts!

So glad you are on the forum DrawMonkey!  This is a wonderful place for support and encouragement.  

Eating out was not as bad as I thought it would be.  The first time I ate out was a local Italian restaurant.  It was my sister-in-law’s birthday.  Since it was local, we were able to speak to the owner/chef directly and he customized our meal.  I think he enjoyed the challenge.

The next time was at Outback.  They use fresh food, which I like, but they put butter on everything so you have to be sure to tell them to hold it.  I think they were one of the first restaurants to go gluten free, and our server wasn’t phased at all by our requests.  

I try not to snack unless I can’t get to my next meal on time.  I make a point not to snack after dinner because it would reinforce old snacking habits.

You’ll be on Day 4?  The early days can be a challenge, but just stick with it.  My experience has been that it gets a lot easier with time.  You can do it!

Thank you!

It's good to know that places will be compliant if you're able to talk with them sometimes. I have friends planning a "pasta night" at a local restaurant - on Fridays and Sundays the restaurant serves a varieties of pasta only. I'm planning to reach out and ask about the ingredients in their sauce and then perhaps I can join them and order one of the meat sides in sauce.

I am on Day 4! I think I'm in an experimenting phase: can I eat this? do I like that? what's this recipe like?

Hopefully next week I can get a set meal prep schedule in place :)

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I love your enthusiasm and great job on hitting the halfway mark!  You should be proud of yourself.  You are doing an excellent job of leading by example with your in-laws.  So many people think W30 means eating yucky food.  It's just the opposite.  We eat super awesome things that fuel our bodies well.

Day 16.  Its my daughter’s birthday today!  She turned 6.

I’m proud to say I delivered cupcakes to her school and didn’t gobble one down in the car on the way.  I did leave a note to not return leftovers, haha!

She wanted ice cream cake for her family party.  I sliced it, served it and got it on my fingers and didn’t even really desire to cheat.  I was pretty surprised, really.  

Today was supposed to be the onset of what they call tiger blood in the book.  For whatever reason though, I’ve been super tired and have had a larger appetite.  I did a lot of taste testing while cooking dinner.  I have PCOS so my hormones fluctuate a lot.  I truly don’t think how I feel today has anything to do with the food I’m eating or not eating.  I think I’ll always have hormone and mood fluctuations.  

I have recognized that I often feed my feelings of fatigue comfort foods and carbs and sugar.   I can tell my body wants to know what’s up, but I haven’t craved anything much, except for a coke.   I did think about that a few times today.

Breakfast was 2 fried eggs, sausage and cantaloupe.

Lunch:  Leftover pork steak, mashed potatoes and spinach with a clementine.

Dinner:  Chicken coated in almond flour and pan fried.  Kale chips.  Mashed sweet potatoes and fruit salad.

What?!? Happy Happy 6th Birthday!!! Ohhh!! I absolutely adore that age. Doesn't the time go by so fast?? Do they do anything special at school? Obviously getting cupcakes is a big score for the kids! But does her class have any special traditions for birthdays? Either way, What a special day!

Can we please discuss your discipline? Holy cow, Cavemom. Well done. If there's ever an excuse to lick ones fingers, you had it today, so this goes down in the record books for pure win of the day!

I'll be very curious if your PCOS symptoms improve at all? Wouldn't that be fantastic?

You're really doing great, Cavemom. Day 16 is in the record books!

Oh my gosh!  My daughter has eaten nothing but sugar today!  She loves it, of course, but she has been so tired this evening.  I never noticed how much sugar kids are presented with in a given day until Whole30.  It’s worse than adults I think.  There’s sugar in everything kids like to eat, including the so called healthy stuff.  

She had a nice time tho.  We don’t usually do big birthday parties.  It’s usually just one friend and some family. A couple of presents. 

Isn't it absolutely crazy how much sugar is in kid's food?! I bet she's had a great day, though. It's a huge deal to turn 6 yrs old!! That sounds like such a lovely way to celebrate her day. One special friend and family around to make the day feel extra special.