CaveMom W30 12/28 Start Date

CaveMom

Day 17 yesterday and I joined Weight  Watchers.  

I’m still doing Whole30, but I’ve only got 13 days to go, and I’ve decided I need a sustainable “after” plan to lose weight over the upcoming months.  Weight Watchers seems  to encourage a similar type of eating as Whole30 so I’m giving it a go.  I’m not going to track food using WW tools until my Whole30 is over tho.  I wanted to start the meetings to learn the program and prep for the next phase of my journey.

When I went to the meeting yesterday morning, I asked them not to tell me my weight since that’s one of the hard and fast rules in the Whole30 plan.  They didn’t tell me, but it ended up going to the WW app and I saw it anyway.  Happy to report I lost 8 pounds so far!  Go Whole30!

Here’s what bothered me.  When I accidentally saw my weight, I felt like I cheated.  I felt guilty and kept thinking I failed Whole30 somehow.  Frankly, that’s messed up.  I totally understand why Whole30 stresses the zero tolerance for breaking the rules, but I don’t like feeling like an errant child  because of a “slip up”.  I don’t think it is healthy in terms of my relationship with food or my self image. I’m not going to obsessively weigh every day.  That’s not healthy either.  But I’m not going to stress over next Saturday’s “weigh in”.    That’s just silly.

Now, my husband went totally off plan yesterday.  My girls had a sleepover and I ordered pizza.  He said he just couldn’t resist!  Funny thing is he said it didn’t taste as good as he thought it would, and said he was going to get back on the plan.  I was happy he didn’t seem that satisfied with the pizza. I was worried it would be so intensely yummy that I would have to see what I was missing.  I have a theory that Whole Foods Eating is so appreciated by our bodies that we start to crave healthy food.  

Actually, I think I’m becoming something of a food snob.  When I went to the WW meeting and watched people buy the pre-packaged, very expensive, and unhealthy (in my opinion) snacks, I looked down my nose at them.  Shame on me!  I’ve been on Whole30 18 days today.  It’s not like I’m some sort of nutrition guru now, haha!  I seriously need an ego check!

With that said, I do think I’m going to try to keep processed foods and sugar out of my diet, even tho they are allowed in moderation on WW.  I just feel too good to go back to my old eating habits.

Yesterday I had:

B.  Larabar on the go. (I don’t advise this.  Was starving in a couple of hours.)

L.  Leftover pork chop, kale, sweet potato and fruit salad.

D.  Roasted chicken, baked potato, broccoli (I’m really starting to hate this vegetable, but my fam loves it) and frozen grapes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

amen to the "errant child" thing--and i agree, the rules are all made with good intentions but the structure ultimately becomes punitive and creates a lot of fear and anxiety--so many people here post about having nightmares where they accidentally eat off plan and wake up so relieved that it was just a dream and that is NOT HEALTHY. 

good luck with weight watchers and kudos for taking a long-term view! it's a good plan too. 

I think it must be in the water....I too had a slip up last night, with a Larabar of all things. Took one bite and realized it wasn’t apple pie, but chocolate chip. I’m not kidding, it was fantastic taste in my mouth. But here’s the gross thing: I spit it out. How’s that for the genesis of an eating disorder? Yeesh. Thank you, you two, for making feel human. I swear I’m  going nuts with fear of breaking a rule, any rule.

I LOVE the weight watchers APPS and community, lots of support at WW just like around here! I signed up along time ago, but couldn’t stick with it out of our laziness, and too many options to run off course! I think doing it after your whole 30 is a fantastic idea. I’ll say this quietly so no one else hears: well done on those 8 pounds.:ph34r: I’d be jumping with joy if I saw that after 8 days!

I'm a longtime user of WW (first time around I lost 30lbs!.... and then gained it all back).

Congrats on making that commitment to the program! I'm still a member of WW but I decided to take the time off of going and weighing in and tracking while I'm on my Whole 30 journey (I'm a lazy WW person too... I hadn't been active most of Nov/Dec and its showed in my weight gain). 

WW does a lot of things right, which I think is why it's so successful. While it allows for foods we don't have on Whole 30 it holds you accountable with the tracking and point system (my favorite thing about WW is one glass of wine = 4 points and 2 glasses are 7 points... ok, maybe it just enables me to drink more haha). 

My WW mind is wondering what kind of point intake I'm doing... but, honestly, I feel less bloated then I have been and I'm only six days in. I'm not sure how that translates to a scale, but less bloat = comfier fitting clothes :) I plan on going back to WW once my first round is over with Whole 30. I can't wait to hear how you're doing!

@ceerock and @MimiHi isn’t it the truth!  Interpreting the plan the  wrong way could seriously cause a person to develop an eating disorder.  Don’t get me wrong.  I love Whole30.  It’s changed my life, safe to say.  I have to remind myself that the rules were intended to change my relationship with food and how I use it to fuel my body, not create a negative self-image or make me feel like a failure for being human.  

I do feel really good on Whole30.  I wouldn’t say I have tiger blood, and frankly that phrase is starting to annoy me.  But, I am really proud of myself for taking back control of food.  

I’m on day 19!

Yesterday I had typical meals with the exception of dinner.  I tried zucchini noodles with spaghetti sauce.  I know folks love it, but I DO NOT!  I don’t like squash, any type.  I don’t like it roasted, steamed, fried...  just don’t like it.  Not even going to try it anymore.

I feel free now!  Broccoli may be next.

So so true, Cavemom. I agree with everything you've said, even the bit about the zucchini noodles. Disgusting. And you are NOT supposed to eat broccoli, remember?!?

I cannot believe you are almost to day 20. CRAZY. Can you believe tomorrow morning, you'll only have 10 days to go until you hit your last day?!?

How insane is that?? And aren't you so glad you got started before New Years?? I'm super curious to know how many points an whole30 is...not that you're calculating points or anything right now, but if you were, about what letter of the alphabet would you be?? (see how sneaky I am? very low key about it all...sort of imbedded it into the question)

@MimiHi you are too funny!  I love your sense of humor!  Out of curiosity and “in an effort to prepare for the future” I went back and tallied some points for previous days.  They were right within the range.  Sometimes too low.  

Im starting to learn that when you only include real and wholesome food in your diet, you really can’t go wrong.  It seems there are a multitude of paths to get to the same destination.  WW allows moderate portions of junk, if you so choose.  But, I’m going to try to keep sugar out of my life.  I would never have even considered that without Whole30 and I am beyond grateful for that.  As MiMiHi said about almonds, I’m “breaking up” with sugar.  

I’m so happy that I joined WW 2 weeks prior to starting.  Im the type who needs a lot of time to prepare and switch gears.  I want to stay as close to Whole Eating as possible, but the idea of having to track every bite I put in my mouth was making me anxious.  What kind of life is that?  I found out WW has a simply filling plan.  It’s a lot like Whole30 with the exception of including grains, dairy and beans.  But, you get a list of foods you are allowed to eat and you don’t have to track when you stay in those boundaries.  Decided I’m going to use that method instead of the more popular “freestyle” plan.  

My reintroduction phase starts Jan 27 and goes through Feb 5th.  That’s going to be interesting.  I have less arthritis pain and stiffness, very little sinus pressure and sneezing, which is very rare for me this time of year and my hunger/fullness signals are working very well!  So what food group is the culprit?  Please, don’t let it be bread!

Day 20 today and it feels good!  I might just finish something I start for once, lol!

DAY 20 CAVEMOM!!! DAY 20!!!!! CANNOT BAHHHH--LEEEEEV-ITTTTT!!! so so awesome!!! Well done, you! Honestly, I have followed you like a little puppy the whole way through, so thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! You really have done an amazing job getting to day 20 (and..OH Wait....DAY 21  basically now...) Three whole weeks. Seriously super happy for you!

It's a total thing now, breaking up with our foods! Good riddance, Sugar.

I think we will all follow you over to you know where after we're done here...

Hehe!  Day 21 today!  I’m so happy.  :D  I have no doubt I’ll reach day 30 now.

Really, though.  I am not the type of person who finishes what she starts.  Half crocheted blanket in closet?  Check. Gratitude journal with 2 1/2 entrees?  Check.  Savings account with $8 bucks? Check.  Couch to 5k running plan?  Hahahaha!  

My best intentions for enhanced well-being and happiness get put on the back burner, forgotten and neglected every single time.  I’m a Mom and a business owner.  I juggle so much, and stay very busy.  So many times, when set on a journey to accomplish a personal goal, I let myself become sidetracked by the difficult things that inevitably arise or the overwhelming tasks at hand. By sidetracked, I mean abandon all efforts, jump ship, and eat. eat. eat.

Whole30 has taught me that you can make time for things that matter.  I have never cooked and done so many dishes in my life!  But I made time.

Setting time limits on goals is critical.

I shouldn’t put my personal goals on the chopping block when things get tough.  Sometimes it’s warranted, but in most cases, difficulties are used as an excuse to give up.  It doesn’t hurt anyone but me.

I have a taste of what the finish line is going to feel like and I think it might be addicting.  @MimiHi I keep thinking of your marathon analogy.  I’ve never crossed a literal finish line, but I’m thinking it must feel so good!  

I am so excited and looking forward to finishing strong!

Yesterday, I had:

Egg, sweet potato hash and grapefruit for breakfast.

Leftover Chicken, Baked Potato and veggies for lunch.

Cobb salad for dinner.  

Orange for snack.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:04 AM, CaveMom said:

I found out WW has a simply filling plan.  It’s a lot like Whole30 with the exception of including grains, dairy and beans.  But, you get a list of foods you are allowed to eat and you don’t have to track when you stay in those boundaries.  Decided I’m going to use that method instead of the more popular “freestyle” plan.  

Good for you for having a plan and knowing yourself and how you work. I've seen the ads for this and I'm curious. I've done WW here and there through the years and I honestly think they have the best plan because it teaches portion control. I'm really enjoying how I feel on the whole30 and I'd like to stick to it after the 30 days but I have a hard time being disciplined so maybe if I go back to WW, I can do this new plan and stay whole30-ish. 

OHHH Cavemom, I laughed out loud when I read about your list of unfinished items! So so funny.

I finally gave up trying to do any projects at all because I was honest with myself and said "Meh, I'll never get that done." I still have those da*n scrapbooking boxes full of the dumb stickers and glitter for making "pages" from the time when scrapbooking was a huge thing (2002).  I had a friend who was ALWAYS scrapbooking...I remember wondering when in the world did she have time to do all that? Her kids were totally neglected but boy! her photo albums looked awesome.

You're so right, we can focus on our health and well being AND get the other stuff done too. We just may not get it done quiet as well or quiet on time (laundry, dishes, mail)

Anyway, you are a true champ and you WILL cross the Whole30 finish line, and on that day you will know what it feels like to finish a marathon! It's a fantastic accomplishment, and I don't care what anyone says about "the journey" at times it's literally just getting through the day already, and get it crossed of the calendar! 

You are in the home stretch, Cavemom!! So so exciting!!!:)

Day 23 today!  

Yesterday, I finally convinced myself to go for a walk after dinner.  Besides buzzing around the house to keep it clean, I don’t exercise.  At work, I’m behind a computer all day, so I know I have to change things for long term success.

It’s still cold here.  It gets dark early and there are patches of snow lingering around, but I zipped up my coat, put in my earbuds and headed out.  

I was absolutely floored how much I enjoyed walking.  The air was crisp and cold and smelled like snow.  The lights from homes and driveways made the neighborhood look like a lit up ceramic village.  The music in my ears made it feel like I had my own personal theme music for life.  It was great.  

Finally!  I figured out what this tiger blood might be all about!  I’ve walked our neighborhood before and I felt tired and stiff after the second lap or so.  But, last night... I was relaxed.  I didn’t feel stiff or uncomfortable.  I was able to focus on enjoying my surroundings instead of my aching feet and knees.  After the second lap, I wasn’t ready to go inside!  I kept going and ended up walking for 45 minutes. 

I don’t think I noticed “tiger blood” because I haven’t been able to compare how I feel now with how I felt before.  I guess the improvements are gradual enough that I didn’t notice just how significant it really is.

So, good day yesterday.  

Today we are having our long monthly Quality Assurance meeting at work.  We always order pizza or Subway for lunch.  I used to worry and worry about how I would resist the QA lunch on Whole30.  But I’m not worried at all.  My cravings are totally in control which feels unbelievably wonderful!

I have noticed something rather peculiar at work.  My co-workers keep talking  about donuts, cookies and cheese of all things.  What’s the deal!?  It’s starting to feel like one of those dreams on Whole30 where you accidentally cheat, like listening to the chatter about forbidden food is bad too!   I swear they are trying to get me to break down and declare that I can’t take Whole30 anymore.  

See?  I’m paranoid and leaning towards the other side of an unhealthy relationship with food.  Whole30 can flip a weird switch if your not careful with it.  For sure.

ONE WEEK LEFT!!!!  

Thank you for taking us on your walk with you.  I felt a certain calm just reading how you felt, the air, and the music.  

It's funny how words/foods we used to think were "ok" are now practically toxic sounding.  Good for you for noticing how those things just aren't part of your vocabulary any more (and if they are, it's not for a positive reason).

Day 24!  

Yesterday went well.  We had Quality Assurance over lunch.  I had eaten beforehand, so no issues with Subway catering the table.  Actually, I don’t have issues with temptation at all, which surprises me to no end.  When I’m on diets where I count calories, I struggle with temptation all the time.  Now, I feel very much in control and I don’t ever want to go back.  I’m convinced it’s because of sugar.  

I tell myself I should cut sugar out for good.  I know I would be happy if I did.  I want that for myself.  But, I do have a feeling of anxiety when I think about making that final decision.  

I’ve been exploring that feeling and I think I get anxious because if I announce I’ve officially broken up with sugar, and I cheat (gasp) I would feel like a failure.  I can do anything for 30 days, but forever?  I’m not sure that’s realistic. So, I think I’m just going to decide month by month.  I’m not eating sugar in February.  There.  That wasn’t so bad.

Today is my last Saturday on Whole30 (for a while anyway).  I don’t know why it feels so exciting.  I’m not planning on eating all that differently afterwards.  But, it was a challenge and I’m so close to the finish line!  It just feels good!

Day 25: 

Yesterday, was uneventful for the most part.  We had lunch at Chipotle and I got the carnita salad.  It was very good.  Would definitely order again.

Other than that, it was the same old, same old.  

Hope everyone is doing well.

Day 26!

Feeling good.  Finishing strong!

Yesterday, my brother-in-law brought us an Italian Cream cake.  My husband and kids almost stopped him from doing it.  You should have seen them looking at me and looking at him.  I think they were afraid it would cause me to slip up.  They were so sweet to run interference for me.  They are the best cheerleaders and are excited for me to reach the finish line.

Of course I told them to eat the cake and enjoy!  I don’t crave it anymore.  Why?  Because Whole30 works!  Sugar Dragon?  That bad boy is tamed!

Oh my goodness.  You guys make me laugh!  

Its Day 27.  I was so very tired yesterday.  Come to think of it I’ve been going to bed early for a few days now.  

My hormones give me a terrible time.  With PCOS, I have such strong fluctuations throughout the month.  I’m not surprised that Whole30 isn’t miraculously curing a lifelong condition.  It is what it is.  I can say I feel better more days than I did before and I’m not as moody, so that’s a win!

Going against the rules, I know.  But, because of attending WW, I was weighed again Saturday.  I’ve lost 12 pounds so far!  I’m actually feeling like that might be too fast.  Not that I’m complaining.  But I wonder if that might be part of feeling tired too.  

Yesterday I ate similarly to other days.  I did make oven baked buffalo wings for dinner.  I can’t believe I went 26 days without trying that!  They were so good!

Day 28 and Feeling Anxious 

For some reason, I’m feeling anxious about Whole30 coming to an end.  I know the book says people feel this way if they don’t have a plan for after, but I do.  So what’s the deal?

Can’t quite figure it out, but it must be normal.

Yesterday went well.  I went to bed at 7:30 last night and slept for 10 hours.  I didn’t wake up feeling sluggish, so I think I just needed some rest.

Holy Cannoli, TWELVE pounds!  You go, Girl!  You should be super proud of yourself for seeing the finish line!

You really must have needed some extra sleep.  Could be you're fighting some of the bugs going around and glad you listened to your body. 

The end of W30 is daunting because we've been so focused on rules and everything being "compliant."  Riding our own bike is frightening because we don't think we're ready, but we are.  Do you have a plan for reintroducing foods?  Continuing to journal food is a good idea because you can zero in on which foods make you feel a certain way - in both a positive and negative way.  

Archived