Low Energy

Due to a medical condition I have a very high metabolism. I'm on day 7 of Whole30 and have had very low energy since about day 4. The obvious conclusion would be that I'm not eating enough, but I have a big breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday with some snacks (not very big) thrown in throughout the day. I'm getting plenty of sleep and while I haven't been exercising, I walk frequently throughout the day. Any suggestions? I'm wanting to stick to the Whole30 diet but I also don't want to spend a fortune on more groceries because the only solution offered is, "sounds like you're not eating enough."

• Moderators

It's hard to give you personalized feedback without knowing what it is you're eating, including approximate serving sizes. What does a "big" meal look like to you? If you need the snacks, you can have them as big as you need them to be. 

This article is about keeping weight on during Whole30, it might be helpful to you:  https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/

Basically, though, people with high metabolisms will probably need more food than people with lower metabolisms, people who are active need more food than people who are sedentary. Make sure you're including fat in every meal -- pick a serving or two from the meal template in addition to any oil you cook in. Make sure you're eating a variety of vegetables -- starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes, root vegetables (like carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips, rutabaga), and winter squashes (like butternut or acorn squash) tend to have more calories than leafy greens, so you may need a bit of starchy vegetables at most meals. Still have the leafy greens and other vegetables too, because the variety helps you get a variety of vitamins and minerals. 

(Meal template:  https://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf)

Archived