VickiK2018

Hello all,

I don't typically do this but I feel as though it will help me so here goes. My issues started with my sedentary desk job/work from home/snacks at my finger tips/and anxious with the love for wine (any kind of wine). I know I need to change for me, my kids, and my husband. 

I have tried everything and the thing I love about whole30 and the book so far is that it is a lifestyle not just a diet. I NEED to understand that I can be happy without food/wine. I'm just scared to do it alone. 

The book so far is great and I can relate to literally every. single. word. It's like it was written specifically for me. I want to get through the book before I chose a start date so im thinking my start date will be February 1st. I hope everyone has a great day! 

You aren’t alone! There is an amazing community of people here, ready to support you. The moderators are incredibly helpful and insightful in answering any and every question you might have about your program.

Lots of people struggle with the idea of not having wine/cocktail/beer, so try not to get too freaked out about that part of things! It’s really not that hard to do once you get started. You’ll get into the swing of things, and won’t really need it as much as you think you do right now. 

Im only on day 11, so I’m not an expert by any means. However, I will say that writing in the Personal Log section is key for me. Journaling has kept me on track during moments when things felt especially hard. For me, the first 6 days were the hardest, and that was due to my starting on a whim. CaveMom, inspired me with a picture she took of her kitchen after she’d cleaned out all the non compliant food, and something about that image inspired me to get going right away. If you’re giving yourself plenty of time to prep, you will be amazed at how much that simplifies life for you, especially the first week!

Good Luck!

Thank you for the response. I love to journal and have kept one since 2015 writing in it regularly. I have thought about getting a separate one just for this journey. It's good to know there is a personal log section. I will have to utilize that. As I have been reading the posts throughout the day it has eased some of my anxiety a bit. I just don't want to fail. It's good to know this is available and there are people here to get support from! 

Thanks and good luck to you! 

VickiK2018 - you are not alone!  I have a major love affair with wine (and live a stone's throw away from a huge wine region).  It has been very hard for me with food as well (I get bored easily and evenings used to = snack time).  Somewhere along the way I went from active to not and like you, spend lots of time at my desk working from home.  I am doing this for the knowledge.  I am not saying goodbye to wine or all foods forever but I am choosing not to partake so I can once and for all learn which foods trigger cravings, cause mood swings, suck my energy, leave me bloated etc.  I keep telling myself it is well worth the 40 days (including the reintroduction period) to finally understand what food is doing to my body.  With that knowledge I will then craft my personal nutrition roadmap, with or without wine....don't know yet but I am determined to keep an open mind (I have a good feeling it will make the cut :).  Best of luck!

9 hours ago, VickiK2018 said:

<snip> As I have been reading the posts throughout the day it has eased some of my anxiety a bit. I just don't want to fail. <snip>

I felt compelled to comment on this.  I don't think of it as failing, but as learning.  I started my first Whole30 June 1 last year, and two weeks in, I had to restart because I hadn't read all my labels carefully enough, and had been eating a little sugar pretty regularly.  It was small amounts, and I probably could have just continued, but it strengthened my determination to do this right.  I chalked it up as a good lesson to read all labels carefully, as there is sugar in things you would never imagine (breakfast sausage was one of the things that got me - now I make my own).  I don't think that was a failure, that was a lesson that I may not have learned as thoroughly had I not had to restart.

I completed my Whole 30 mid July and achieved INCREDIBLE results.  I continue to eat Whole30 about 95% of the time, and started another on Jan 1 as I felt some bad habits creeping in.  You can do this, and it is SO worth it.

You are absolutely correct. Even now during my prepping stage, just getting myself familiar with the program and the rules, I have become more aware of what I am eating and feel like I am making smarter choices and I haven't even started the program yet. I am so glad to have come across this program and the book. I have learned so much already. It will be life changing even if I have to start day 1 a couple times before I complete the whole30! Thanks for the reply! 

I was such a mess when I started 2 weeks ago. I'm on Day 15 today and finally feeling much better. leading up to Christmas - way to much food and adult beverages! I started the day after Christmas as I had dental surgery on the 28th and knew I would be eating fluids for a while. Finally feel like I am on the other side of all that and feeling sooo much better. My tummy isn't bloated anymore. I can tie my shoes without strain around my belly, yay! I can see my ankle bones. I can breath better. The new jeans I bought in the Fall, which were getting tighter, now fit much better. I have no sugar cravings and though I haven't eaten in a restaurant yet I will be on Friday night so have a plan about what to eat. What makes a big difference for me in eating is the amount of fat we can have - yahoo! For me that is ghee (which I make myself from grass fed cow milk, expensive but so worth it and easy to make), avocado, my own mayonnaise which I made with avocado oil, also easy, coconut oil to cook with.

You can do it! So much help on this forum and the daily emails. It's really an excellent program. Planning ahead is a good idea and getting your house in order, trying out some of the recipes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the tips. I have been practicing with cooking and just getting my mind around limiting things before my actual start date Feb. 1. I have been struggling with finding what "cooking fats" to use with what meals/meats. I have been using butter and extra virgin olive oil to cook everything (I know it's non-compliant) but it's all I know. Im learning as I go...

Olive oil is not that great to heat up. It is better drizzled on things. Coconut oil is much better and doesn't change with heating, you can fry in it. I have one that has no coconut flavour as I don't want everything to taste like coconuts!

Making your own ghee (clarified butter) is quite easy, nomnompaleo has a great tutorial for it and lots of other recipes. Use the resources links on the Whole30 site - they are great. Look up anything you want to know about, you'll find it somewhere.

I am on Day 28 and feeling soooo much better. My gut is no longer bloated so I can tie my shoes without cutting off my oxygen! I am so much less stiff, in particular my hands and legs. My brain is clearer and I am sleeping much better. I decided not to weigh myself or do measurements beforehand (been there done that), and all my clothes are loose, especially my pants, which were all getting pretty tight. I plan to continue on after this , maybe trying out a few things, like quinoa, but I know this is a lifestyle change and no going back to chips, cheezies, ice cream, beer. Makes my tummy hurt just thinking about it.

So look stuff up. You will also get a lot of resources in each daily email from Whole30, just click on the links and a whole new world opens up - so many people eating this way and happy to support all of us. You can do this!

On 1/23/2018 at 4:55 AM, VickiK2018 said:

Thank you for the tips. I have been practicing with cooking and just getting my mind around limiting things before my actual start date Feb. 1. I have been struggling with finding what "cooking fats" to use with what meals/meats. I have been using butter and extra virgin olive oil to cook everything (I know it's non-compliant) but it's all I know. Im learning as I go...

Which cooking fat to use is mostly not a critical choice.  Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a relatively strong flavor, and works well for Italian/Mediterranean dishes.  Avocado oil is fairly neutral, great for homemade mayo, and sauteeing or roasting veggies.  Cheap olive oil good for roasting potatoes, frying eggs, anything basic and has a flavor on its own.  

Ghee is good (but not necessary) for curries, etc.

I've not really found a dish that coconut oil enhances, but many people love it.  I haven't figured that one out yet.

Good luck!

Archived