One week down

Carolyn 1

Wahoo!  One week down. I feel like I did pretty well sticking to the whole30 guidelines.  I have to admit, I am tired. I sleep well, however I can't seem to get through my exercise routine. I just feel pooped. Other than that I am feeling OK.  I don't want to change anything yet, due to the fact I was eating a lot of chocolate kisses everyday, so I may be just missing the sugar, and that is why I am so tired. I am still loving the two eggs and avocado for breakfast. What a great start to the day.  I have been making an extra portion for dinner and using that for my lunch the next day. Works like a charm.  

Here's to tomorrow!

While I am on this journey I am continuing to read up on this diet. I bought the book It Starts with Food. I agree with most of it except now I am at a conundrum. It's about supplements. I take a few...Fermented cod liver oil, magnesium, Vitamin D and a muliti.  I am hypothyroid, my endocrinologist told me to eat foods high in calcium and take an extra supplement. Should I not take the calcium now? I would love to stop spending extra $$ on something that doesn't work or may be bad for me anyway! 

If you are taking meds for hypothyroid, careful when you take your calcium. It prevents the thyroid meds from doing what they are supposed to do. You can get calcium from non-dairy sources. Broccoli, kale and salmon (especially with the bones!) are good. Here are some others. Also, sardines are an incredible source Vitamin D. (This is not medical advice, just comments based on what I've read and experienced. I am also hypothyroid.)

Thanks!! Yes, The Doctor had informed me about taking the supplements to close to the time I take the medications. I am currently on Armour Thyroid which I take at 3-4 in the morning so nothing interferes. I have had a long hard journey with this. It seemed I was allergic to the synthetic synthroid - levoxilthyrine.

OK, day 11 and I am still alive! I think I may have it easier then most people because I do not mind repetition, and I genuinely enjoy all healthy foods.  My husband on the other hand will not, and I mean even if I hide them in food, eat a vegetable.  He will eat corn but, we all know about that one. So, I usually make a batch of chicken cut up small with some herbs at night while I am making my dinner. I also boil three days worth of eggs, because I am not sure how long boiled eggs last in the refrigerator. Then I make a dinner for my husband and myself. This week I made a turkey meatloaf using herbs and eggs to hold it together. I put some of that coconut amino and a little of the fish sauce because I wanted to see how that tasted. I also made eggplant, just toasted in some olive oil and Herb de Provence.  Then I have a meal for a few days. I usually make potatoes for my husband, either a sweet potato, or I get those little potatoes and microwave for a few minutes then I slice them in two and brown them in some olive oil with salt and herbs. I find the turkey meatloaf is much better the next day when I take a slice and brown it in some olive oil, either that or I am just so hungry.

I also bought this big bag of mini peppers. They are so cute. So, to nip the hunger while I cook I eat two of those. Seems to work.

Well, on to a great day!

Carolyn,

Thanks for sharing with all of us your journey so far!

I am a big chocolate/sugar addict myself, so now I know to look out for the crash of energy (I'm on Day 4 and it hasn't jolted me yet).

Also, mini peppers are delicious! If you like guac, try dipping them in there!

Hi Carolyn!

The mini peppers are great to snack on or to stuff with taco meat, chicken or whatever else your compliant heart desires.  Your turkey meatloaf sounds yummy and something I need to try.  

I'm hypo and pre-diabetic so I take my synthroid at 5:00ish, too.  I try really hard to eat within an hour of getting up (which is how long to wait between taking the Rx and eating protein so it doesn't interfere).  The advice from the W30 Powers that Be is that a doctor's advice always takes priority over W30.   It might be a good idea to check the foods you're eating for comparison to the supplements you're taking.....it doesn't have to be either/or.  It could be AND, i.e. not need as much D, calcium and magnesium.   Don't completely cut them out if your endo says you need them.  Your next labs will be telling in how W30 has impacted your levels. 

The exhaustion is a natural part of the process, usually happening around Day 6 or 7.  It really does get better.  :)

Have a super awesome Friday!

So, Day 10, I started eating some fruit I didn’t really want to start because I thought it would be a trigger. I’ve been pretty good about it ( only two days). I feel great however, I still do not feel like working out. I’m not sure if it’s in the mind or that I keep reading in the book not to over exercise. Which I tend to do. Oh well onward towards another day!

I think I just posted day 10 now. I guess I never hit submit. Well I’m really on day 12. I worked out this morning. I still can’t seem to get through my workout. It’s odd. I ate breakfast which I never used to do. I feel like just quitting and going back to my old routines because I seemed to have more energy.  I will go the distance with this whole30 because I am determined. Well, tomorrow is a new day. I just hope I have more energy. 

Ok, day 13 I did get through my routine after breakfast. It was still rough. My legs are just tired. I am using lower weights to see if that helps me get through. It’s only an hour, yet feels like two. I see how I wake up tomorrow. I was good today, even when going out to lunch. I asked the waitress to check and make sure my order didn’t have any dairy and I just ordered it without the white beans. I had citrus salmon with broccoli rabe and seltzer with lemon. I rock!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, only eight days to go! I am in the I do not want to eat stage of the game. My daughter advised me to get an app to make sure I am eating enough food.  Well, I am not for my active life. So, I have to figure out how to get about 700 more calories into my menu.  You would think that it would be easy, but alas, no.  I did try something new yesterday, Yoga. My daughter and I decided to try 20 minutes of beginner yoga. It was a bit harder than I thought it would be. It is difficult to do the poses while trying to look at the TV. I guess the more you try the better it will get. 

Tomorrow is a step closer to the rainbow!

Today is Friday. Technically 5 more days. However, I just joined an Eat clean for five days that starts on Monday. So I am going to extend my whole30 for a bit more. I am not sure if I am eating to little or maybe to much. I have been able to finish my work outs with out feeling like I am dying, however, I think I should be at a different point after being on this eating adventure for over three weeks now. My stomach feels bloated, and looks a bit bloated. I am wondering if it is the eggs. All I eat is eggs, greens, veggies,avocados, chicken, fish, and once a week red meat. So what gives?

I know we are not supposed to measure our food but, I am curious as to what the deal is here.  I think next week I may give up on the two egg morning breakfast and try a new menu. I am not sure what it will be. I need something portable. I may try a sweet potato. I don't think I should have the avocado with that. I do like having the avocado because it keeps me full until the next meal. So I will have to think about what goes with that.  I may also switch out the chicken at lunch for the salmon packets, since I found one that does not contain soy.  Dinners I will keep the same: A protein and lots of veggies cooked in olive oil.

Wow, I cannot believe I am on day 29. What I remember on this plan:

First week, I was fine, went to gym was able to work out... all good.

Second week, loss of energy really bad. I found it hard to even breathe.

Third week, same loss of energy breathing was better however, my legs felt like they were going to give way.

Fourth week, so much better. I can make it a full hour on the step, with weights included. I may even try to run today. Seems weird that it took so long to get my energy back.

I did take a before picture, I can't wait to see if there is a difference before and after. We shall see on Thursday!

Archived