Feeling so weak/tired

I'm on day 8 of the January whole30. The first 5 or 6 days I felt pretty good. Mild brain fog/sleepiness but not bad. The last few days have been progressively worse. I'm a runner and I run 3-4 miles 5-6 days a week. My legs can barely make it through a run. They feel like they weigh 100 lbs each. My arms feel so heavy also, like I can't hold my toddler. Going up and down stairs exhausts me. I'm unwilling/unable to eat pre-workout. I can't stomach anything and then run without getting nauseous. I come home and quick shower and eat a breakfast right after.

breakfast - 3 over easy eggs, roasted broccoli/sweet potato (we make a big batch and I just heat up in the morning), sometimes bacon, 1/2 avocado

lunch - taco salad with ground beef, arugula, 1/2 avocado, tomato, cucumber, sweet potato, dairy free ranch

dinner - meatballs, mashed potatoes, green beans with a coconut based sauce over the meatballs/potatoes

I often have a snack in the afternoon, banana and almond butter. Hard boiled egg and carrots and nuts. 

I don't want to quit but I just feel so crappy!

• Administrators

Sorry you're feeling crappy. A couple things stand out.

First, you're right in the band of time where fat adaptation hasn't taken place yet but your body is no longer getting the quick carbs it's used to. Exercise nearly always suffers during the first 14 days and we recommend that you take it easy. Scale back the training a bit, walk instead of run etc. Just stay the course, that part gets better.

Second, you probably are not eating enough overall. You should be having a few bites of post-workout (lean protein and starchy veggie) right after your run and then you can shower and make your normal breakfast. If you are needing to snack between meals and especially as active as you are, stick to a protein & fat snack. Skip the fruit and nuts/butters, it's not doing you any real favours. Get the protein and fat in there mid day if you need.  Make sure you're getting enough fat overall too. The avocado is good but you might want a more dense fat source at some of your meals (ie, ghee, mayo etc).

Archived