Ketchup

Let me start with... I love ketchup, a lot. It's my hardest item that I need to part with. As a result, I'm making my own but the recipe in Fast & Easy calls for apple cider. I read The Whole30, so I know that fruit juice is technically compliant, but I'm having a hard time adding it to the ketchup when I can SEE how many grams of sugar is in the cider. I guess I'm just looking for someone to tell me it's okay to use the cider & make the ketchup that way! 

Any other recipe ideas or brands of cider are greatly appreciated! As a side note, I live in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin so I don't have access to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I also checked Thrive Market and they don't have a compliant ketchup, they all contain sugar. 

Thanks for the help in advance. This is Day 1 of my first w30 and I'm excited!! I've read every book, blog, forum, Instagram, etc. that I possibly can. 

• Administrators

Whole30 isn't concerned with grams of sugar. Only added sugars. The sugar in a compliant apple cider would be from the apples.

That said, if ketchup is really a HUGE sticking point for you and you want to consider changing your relationship with food, perhaps you might want to put ketchup aside for the 30 days. If that feels scary and anxiety inducing and makes you kind of mad, perhaps that might tell you something?

Although homemade ketchup in the book is compliant, I equate this situation to the fried chicken example. Yes, cashew "breaded" fried chicken is compliant if you make it yourself however if you're coming off a wicked KFC addiction, the Whole30 compliant fried chicken probably isn't for you.

Call me crazy, but ketchup doesn't sound like something you should need to step away from.  It's not exactly a dozen donuts or a hidden box of cupcakes under your bed....but everyone has their own requirements and goals so I am not bashing your decision or the advice in this forum.  

HOWEVER, if you decide to add a little to a future meal and you are tired of making it yourself (I tried once or twice and it was too much effort on top of everything else), here is a link to a very good brand that is also whole30 compliant.  My local Whole Foods carries it:  https://www.tessemaes.com/collections/condiments/products/organic-ketchup

Archived