Whole 30 & Vyvance (for ADHD/Anxiety)

I feel like this is an off the wall question but here it goes: I currently take the smallest dosage of Vyvance (a stimulant similar to Adderal or Ritalin) at 10 mg. I feel like it is really irritating my bowels (TMI)- going to the bathroom more than once, loose stools, not feeling done or clean, etc. I've been on it for a little over a year, been happy with the drug overall-didn't think to attribute this symptom to the medicine at first because I began having some  trouble before going on the medicine but I was postpartum so I attributed it to just having a baby. Before THAT I've never had any bowel trouble at all- never even thought about them! I'm 31 years old.

Long backstory, but I guess my question is wondering if anybody else is on Vyvance and doing Whole 30  that has had similar experiences? I feel like it could be skewing results from whole 30?? I know bowel issues can be part of detoxing (mine haven't been any worse since starting whole 30, besides maybe eating a few too many nuts in the beginning) 

Two of my biggest reasons for doing whole 30 was hopefully to stop loose bowels and going multiple times a day AND to clear my face- but after doing a google search I see these are both related to stimulants. I've talked this all over with my doctor and she totally supports me going off the medicine (i've been doing neurofeedback to prepare for weaning)  if these side effects bother me.  I want to SEE how whole 30 impacts my bowel heath/skin and acne but will I be able to experience them IF Vyvance is working against me? Anybody else taking this medication? 

I know this was rambling! Thanks for any help.

My Whole 30 meals:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with compliant salsa, banana with almond butter, tea with collagen peptides

Lunch: Salad with hard boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, meat and oil & vinegar

Dinner: Combination of meat and veggies!

Snacks: Handful of nuts, spoonful of almond butter, orange or apple, Lara Bar

I take a zinc supplement (trying to help with my acne) take epsom salt baths maybe once a week, work out 5ish days a week, and also am taking BioKult's Candea probiotic. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, lauramichele said:

I feel like this is an off the wall question but here it goes: I currently take the smallest dosage of Vyvance (a stimulant similar to Adderal or Ritalin) at 10 mg. I feel like it is really irritating my bowels (TMI)- going to the bathroom more than once, loose stools, not feeling done or clean, etc. I've been on it for a little over a year, been happy with the drug overall-didn't think to attribute this symptom to the medicine at first because I began having some  trouble before going on the medicine but I was postpartum so I attributed it to just having a baby. Before THAT I've never had any bowel trouble at all- never even thought about them! I'm 31 years old.

Long backstory, but I guess my question is wondering if anybody else is on Vyvance and doing Whole 30  that has had similar experiences? I feel like it could be skewing results from whole 30?? I know bowel issues can be part of detoxing (mine haven't been any worse since starting whole 30, besides maybe eating a few too many nuts in the beginning) 

Two of my biggest reasons for doing whole 30 was hopefully to stop loose bowels and going multiple times a day AND to clear my face- but after doing a google search I see these are both related to stimulants. I've talked this all over with my doctor and she totally supports me going off the medicine (i've been doing neurofeedback to prepare for weaning)  if these side effects bother me.  I want to SEE how whole 30 impacts my bowel heath/skin and acne but will I be able to experience them IF Vyvance is working against me? Anybody else taking this medication? 

I know this was rambling! Thanks for any help.

My Whole 30 meals:

Breakfast: 2 eggs with compliant salsa, banana with almond butter, tea with collagen peptides

Lunch: Salad with hard boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, meat and oil & vinegar

Dinner: Combination of meat and veggies!

Snacks: Handful of nuts, spoonful of almond butter, orange or apple, Lara Bar

I take a zinc supplement (trying to help with my acne) take epsom salt baths maybe once a week, work out 5ish days a week, and also am taking BioKult's Candea probiotic. 

If your medication is giving you constant loose bowels then yes, it will be very diffuclt to determine during reintroduction whether something makes you feel ill or not... NOt every reaction is a loose bowels reaction but that's the way lots of people react to dairy in particular and if you have this situation caused by medication, then you wont know what it's from.  That said, definitely you and your doctor are going to be the ones making this decision and maybe there's another medication out there that can help but with less (or different) side effects.

@lauramichele I have been taking Vyvanse for several years. I also have had issues with loose bowel movements, but my issues were present long before I ever started taking Vyvanse. Have you discussed your concern with loose bowel movements and Vyvanse with your physician/provider who prescribes it? If you haven't, I believe you should. Vyvanse most commonly causes constipation. My thought is it may be something other than Vyvanse causing your bowel issues and it's very important to identify what is causing it, especially if it isn't the Vyvanse. I hope you begin feeling better soon! Best wishes!

Archived