samalope

What has been your most lasting food habit after Whole30?

For me, it was making a proper breakfast before work rather than stopping someplace for a donut and coffee/energy drink.

Also, having protein with every meal.

What have you noticed that Whole30 has helped you start doing/stop doing?

Definitely having a properly balanced breakfast is a big one. Balancing meal composition properly has always stuck too which means that meal timing (4-6 hours apart) mostly also stuck. 

I agree on breakfast.  Taking the time to cook a proper, balanced breakfast has been a habit that has stuck for a few years now.  Also trying to make sure I have a couple of different vegetables with every meal.  

2 hours ago, Juice06870 said:

I agree on breakfast.  Taking the time to cook a proper, balanced breakfast has been a habit that has stuck for a few years now.  Also trying to make sure I have a couple of different vegetables with every meal.  

Oh, yes, that! I feel like my meal looks weird and sort of lacking if there are not at least two vegetables! :) 

I love this question! I've had a rough couple of days with food choices, and really committing to getting back on track today. One of the ways that helps me stay positive and move forward is taking a few steps back to realize how much good change I've made since my first WHole30 almost 2 years; remember this is a really long journey, with lots of ups and downs. That being said, one of the most lasting changes for me has been cutting way back on mindless snacking. Work used to be a black hole of bad choices, but now, most days I am able to walk right past all the junk food, and recognize I'm not actually hungry. 

My first W30 was more than two years ago.  Since then, I've never gone back to putting sugar in my coffee or tea and when drinking them at home, I use canned coconut milk as creamer instead of 1/2 & 1/2.  Having protein with every meal has stuck strongly too. 

I'm on the breakfast train also - having protein, fat and vege instead of porridge or cereal for breakfast is the major consistent change over the years, as well as vege with every meal (I don't stress about it if I'm eating out, but I definitely note it and try to make up for it at the next meal). And like @ElizabethG said, the mindless snacking at work is practically non-existent (the weekends are not quite so clear cut though :)).

I'm also pretty consistent with excluding the things I've identified as being less good for me over the years - gluten, yoghurt and milk, and now hummus and halloumi. None of these things will kill me, so I do have them on rare occasions, but on the whole in my "at home diet" I don't have them at all.

I did my first W30 in August, 2012. I have not been as consistent as I would like in following most of the ideals, but a few habits have stuck:

• I don't keep non-compliant foods in the house except for special occasions or planned splurges.
  • We eat three meals a day and rarely have snacks.
  • Vegetables are the star of the show at every meal and protein is highest quality available and affordable.
  • I try to find a new recipe or method every week or so
  • I have a routine for weekly meal plan, prep, and cook-up
  • I am loyal to local farmers whenever possible.

Now that I'm retired, I am free from the stress of work and the food temptations that ambushed me regularly there. I have quite a bit of fat to shed, and now I'm getting on track with more compliant eating without doing official W30 again.

I've truly embraced the habit of weekly meal prep, so much that if I would look in the refrigerator and NOT see an array of containers with colorful food choices -- I'd know I was having a nightmare.

A daily breakfast of protein & veggies is a basic part of my life now. And I've turned my back on all things dairy -- it's not worth the suffering.

On 6/2/2018 at 12:40 AM, jen c said:

My first W30 was more than two years ago.  Since then, I've never gone back to putting sugar in my coffee or tea and when drinking them at home, I use canned coconut milk as creamer instead of 1/2 & 1/2.  Having protein with every meal has stuck strongly too. 

Me too! I thought I'd never adjust to black coffee and I haven't had sweetener in my coffee now since Dec 30th 2016!

My biggest focus now is being a slave to the "ingredient list."  If the food that I am buying is not fresh, non-processed single items then my reading glasses go on and my eyes right to that packaging label!  Most of the time the item is returned to the shelf because it has some sort of sugar in it. 

Since I started a W30 eating plan as my basis for nutrition, I have only reintroduced dairy and alcohol.   Thus far, I do not feel the need to reintroduce the other no-no's, but I do long for the day when I can sensibly enjoy a plate of good 'ol spaghetti.  I am being careful on the grains because I did notice some discomfort after having wheat toast with breakfast a few weeks ago... I hope gluten is nit an issue.

..BUT I do not plan on ingesting sugar if I can help it!  Because of my self-moto of "no sugar" it forces me to spend more time in the produce section of the supermarket... and, I do not need my reading glasses there in order to know if I am selecting compliant foods.

On 7/1/2018 at 10:22 AM, peak said:

My biggest focus now is being a slave to the "ingredient list."  If the food that I am buying is not fresh, non-processed single items then my reading glasses go on and my eyes right to that packaging label!  Most of the time the item is returned to the shelf because it has some sort of sugar in it. 

Since I started a W30 eating plan as my basis for nutrition, I have only reintroduced dairy and alcohol.   Thus far, I do not feel the need to reintroduce the other no-no's, but I do long for the day when I can sensibly enjoy a plate of good 'ol spaghetti.  I am being careful on the grains because I did notice some discomfort after having wheat toast with breakfast a few weeks ago... I hope gluten is nit an issue.

..BUT I do not plan on ingesting sugar if I can help it!  Because of my self-moto of "no sugar" it forces me to spend more time in the produce section of the supermarket... and, I do not need my reading glasses there in order to know if I am selecting compliant foods.

Let me tell you - the spaghetti isn't worth it (have attempted this maybe twice in the last 6 months).  The yum is in the sauce anyway and for me the gluten in the noodles messes me up for DAYS and I think "why did I do that?"  Just do the zoodles and be happy for the rest of your life :).  

On 10/5/2018 at 2:17 PM, EllieHH said:

Just do the zoodles and be happy for the rest of your life

Yessss. It's all in the sauce. 

For us, and I say us because how I eat has changed the way our household eats even though my partner didn't ever actually do the W30, the biggest change has been meals built without grain products. Our dinner rotation used to be basically pasta, nachos, curry or stirfry w/ rice, soup w/ bread, grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. And breakfast was toast, oatmeal, bagels, muffins, pancakes etc.  I don't think I had a grain-free meal in my life before my W30 (3 years ago).

Now, all of our together-meals are pretty classic W30 plates. (Though, obviously, my own meals get weird, because leftovers. The rest of the taco fixin's on a plate of mashed potatoes with some green olives? Sure.) 

Label reading. I've fallen off the wagon pretty badly but I can't stop label reading and I cannot even consider a frozen meal of some sort.

And adding protein to my meals

On 11/8/2018 at 2:50 PM, chichi said:

The rest of the taco fixin's on a plate of mashed potatoes with some green olives? Sure.) 

Haha, that sounds darned good, actually! :)