On Day 2... looking for recommendation?

DrawMonkey

Hi everyone!

Today, I began day 2 of my Whole 30 Journey (I was going to begin on Monday like any sane person, but well.... chicken soup and dumplings were involved). 

I've done a lot of grunt work... bought a stock of nuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, chia seeds, etc. but the one thing I'm not overly familiar with are the chia seeds. 

Today, I sprinkled them on my massive salad (with a nice piece of salmon on top), but I'm wondering what else they're useful for, other than sprinkling? I saw a chia seed pudding recipe, but - as it's a dessert like item - I don't think that technically counts. Any suggestions?

• Moderators
3 hours ago, DrawMonkey said:

Hi everyone!

Today, I began day 2 of my Whole 30 Journey (I was going to begin on Monday like any sane person, but well.... chicken soup and dumplings were involved). 

I've done a lot of grunt work... bought a stock of nuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, chia seeds, etc. but the one thing I'm not overly familiar with are the chia seeds. 

Today, I sprinkled them on my massive salad (with a nice piece of salmon on top), but I'm wondering what else they're useful for, other than sprinkling? I saw a chia seed pudding recipe, but - as it's a dessert like item - I don't think that technically counts. Any suggestions?

Ya, chia pudding is not allowed... not sure what you bought the cacao nibs for either but anything resembling a sweet treat is out... the only thing you're really allowed to do with cocoa is put it in a savory dish like chocolate chili or a spice rub of some sort.  Also go easy on the nuts/coconut flakes, they can be easily food without brakes for people and they are also known to cause a lot of digestive upset.

Chia seeds on your salad is a good idea tho :) 

5 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Ya, chia pudding is not allowed... not sure what you bought the cacao nibs for either but anything resembling a sweet treat is out... the only thing you're really allowed to do with cocoa is put it in a savory dish like chocolate chili or a spice rub of some sort.  Also go easy on the nuts/coconut flakes, they can be easily food without brakes for people and they are also known to cause a lot of digestive upset.

Chia seeds on your salad is a good idea tho :) 

Thanks for the help!

I thought I read that if cacao is a garnish it's ok? I might've looked wrong. For me, personally, it's not a sweet rush that I would get from processed chocolate, and I thought of it more for a texture crunch than a chocolate substitute. 

I'm not a big nut addict but I figured it's a good part of a pre-workout mini meal or - working in retail - shifts that become longer than planned for. They're also used for some recipes as well.

I appreciate the advice!

Archived