Monkey's Whole30 Log

DrawMonkey

I began Whole 30 out of a need to improve my eating habits, meal prep skills, and snacking addictions. I've tried other methods in the past (points points points) with varying success. After reading the 'It Starts with Food' book and talking to a friend who successfully completed her own Whole 30 I made yesterday, January 9th my start date.

I'd like to lose weight; I'd like to learn how to find healthy substitutes to food; I'd like to rely on snacks less and wholesome filling meals more.

Day 1 (this was a HARD day... I was driving home from a trip where we stayed longer than planned... my options were horribly limited)

B: Sumo orange, coffee, 3 dates, Lara Bar (I didn't eat all at once.. orange and dates before we left, Lara Bar when I realized that wasn't enough food)

L: Baked Apple Chips (forgive me! I saw the "no chips" post long after the fact but I was desperate!) and handful of sunflower seeds (Sheetz did not have any better options than these, I swear), Tea

D: Thai Chicken Curry over Sautéed Zoodles: I used Ghee (first time tried, LOVE), Thai red chili paste, almond milk, and coconut milk for the curry. Veggies included the noodles, shallots, yellow/orange peppers, and snow peas. AH-MAZING

Day 2 (I'm doing a "yoganity" workout 3x a week, part yoga part "dear god why did I sign up for this" high impact workout class is 6a-7a)

Pre Workout: small mix of blackberries, strawberry slices, pineapple chunks (perhaps 3 of each type of fruit) in a bowl w cacao nibs, 3 spoonfuls of coconut milk and coconut flakes (this was like an unexpected treat! I saw a version of this online and didn't think I'd suck it down like I did)

B: Sweet potato mash, made with almond milk and ghee. Topped with coconut flakes. Coffee

L: Huge salad with iceberg lettuce, peppers, heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, and a nice filet of salmon (cooked in coconut oil). Dressing with sesame oil and vinegar, topped with a sprinkle of chia seeds. Tea

D: Planning to have the leftover Thai Curry! 

(any feedback at all on this would be helpful; like many of you, I'm new and shiny and I want to make the right food decisions)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m in no way an expert, and my first few days were filled with lots of fruit just like I see you’ve had. Anything compliant to get through the first few days was my motto, but since you asked, those cocoa nibs aren’t Whole30. Not sure why exactly, but google it and you’ll get an explanation for sure!

I’m only on day 13, but I’ve come to realize there are those here, who are doing the real whole 30, adhering  to the rules, and then there other the folks out on the internet posting recipes and such that are a bit looser with the rules, and then others who are super loose and basically doing their own version that works for them, but wouldn’t be considered a Whole30 by those of us here. Case in point is my friend at our neighborhood pet store, who told me yesterday she started January 5th and had already lost 10pounds. She then shared her go-to dessert which was 90% chocolate melted with peanut butter and coconut mixed in. Sounds absolutely heavenly, in my book, but there’s no way that recipe would pass muster here. 

So, just be aware if you post outside of the personal log section here, a moderator might, just might, clap back with a stern finger wag about things like Apple chips and Cocoa nibs. 

You might want to read up on all the rules and all the different lists of what’s ok and what’s not. Personally, I’m baffled at times as to some of the things on either list, but it’s a great place to start! 

Good luck and definitely add in more protein to your meals. Larabars and sunflowers seeds do not count as a meal! 

I'm not a moderator or an expert by any means, but your food looks like more fruit than recommended (really only supposed to be part of a dish, not the actual dish; think pork chops with an apple compote or green salad with orange segments) and definitely not enough protein. There should be a palm-sized portion of protein in every meal. Perhaps go over the meal template again in ISWF? Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the advice!

As I mentioned, Day 1 was mini-crisis, as I had planned to be at home by then to start my Whole 30 properly. Because of weather and travel, I had to make due with what was available without forcing everyone in the car with me to comply with my new eating demands. We only made one stop on the ride home and it was Sheetz. It was by no means a proper meal, but it held me over until I had a proper dinner.

I looked into the cacao nibs and as I'm technically using it primarily as garnish for things and not the sweet treat (because they are NOT sweet lol) I think I'm ok in moderation. 

I appreciate the fruit advice as well. I love fruit and normally include it in my daily regimen but - seeing the overall template - I need to adjust slightly.

5 minutes ago, DrawMonkey said:

looked into the cacao nibs and as I'm technically using it primarily as garnish for things and not the sweet treat (because they are NOT sweet lol) I think I'm ok in moderation. 

Yeah, I get it. But I'm pretty sure it's still not Whole30. I think the only thing cocoa'ish allowed is pure cocoa powder which would taste like crap on its own, unless mixed in with something sweet, or I believe there's a chili recipe floating around in the recipe section that lets you put cocoa in it. It's really hard to get through the first few days, so like I mentioned before read through all the rules and other posts in the "Can I have...section"--that's place is a big education in and of itself, or it was for me at least. And well done, on making due in an emergency. It's not easy when you've got a plan that goes awry, and you've got to figure out what's compliant at a truck stop, which is what I assume a Sheetz is?!

14 minutes ago, MimiHi said:

Yeah, I get it. But I'm pretty sure it's still not Whole30. I think the only thing cocoa'ish allowed is pure cocoa powder which would taste like crap on its own, unless mixed in with something sweet, or I believe there's a chili recipe floating around in the recipe section that lets you put cocoa in it. It's really hard to get through the first few days, so like I mentioned before read through all the rules and other posts in the "Can I have...section"--that's place is a big education in and of itself, or it was for me at least. And well done, on making due in an emergency. It's not easy when you've got a plan that goes awry, and you've got to figure out what's compliant at a truck stop, which is what I assume a Sheetz is?!

Yep, Sheetz is a truck/gas station! My options were limited to sunflower seeds, nuts, apple chips, and weird half-ripe pieces of fruit.

I know the apple chips are technically a no no, so that was a one and done (note: they were sub par on the "things I'd grab for a snack" list).

Thanks for the support! 

Well, see how well you did? You could've picked up a bag of Cheetos and a Mountain Dew!

I was unprepared yesterday and went into a Whole Foods and had a hard time finding something quick, and that's at a bloody Whole Foods! You may not have had the best first day on the planet, but you get and A+ for trying. At least in my book, anyway!:)

1 hour ago, ceerock said:

welcome @DrawMonkey! I googled the cacao nibs because i didn't even know what they were, and apparently they are just bits of the actual cocoa bean? if so, according to this whole30 column they are (begrudgingly) ok I think, so long as you are not a major chocolate addict who is using them as a crutch? https://whole30.com/2013/12/great-cocoa-debate/

Thank you! I did the same as well - "technically" ok but definitely not for a crutch. 

As a chocolate addict, these do not even come close to being like "actual" chocolate hahaha but they're crunchy!

You guys are geniuses!! Cocoa nibs are compliant!!! We can all rejoice and go grab some nibs now! 

I agree DrawMonkey, Whole Foods is exactly that. I find it overwhelming, actually. Their branding makes me think it's all healthy, but as we all know, even at Whole Foods you've got to give yourself plenty of time to look at the labels. I ended up with an RX Bar...it was AH-MAZING.

Let us know how you're day is going. Hopefully, you won't be shopping for groceries at Sheetz!

Day 3:

Ok, today was win win win win win all day long! I tried a Whole 30 compliant buffalo sauce recipe and I was so blown away by how good it was the leftovers I planned on saving for tomorrow I had again at dinner!

B: 2 egg omelette with zoodles, bacon, and cherry tomatoes. Coffee. Blackberries/strawberries.

L: Buffalo chicken over a bed of lettuce and a couple pitted dates to take off the heat!

D: Repeat of the buffalo chicken with more lettuce, heaping side of marinated roasted vegetables with some avocado pieces thrown in (marinade sesame oil / coconut aminos, ginger). 

4 hours ago, MimiHi said:

I agree DrawMonkey, Whole Foods is exactly that. I find it overwhelming, actually. Their branding makes me think it's all healthy, but as we all know, even at Whole Foods you've got to give yourself plenty of time to look at the labels. I ended up with an RX Bar...it was AH-MAZING.

Which RX did you end up with? Some of them aren't compliant, just like some Lara Bars, right?

Welcome aboard DrawMonkey and happy Day 4!

You've got solid reasons for starting this journey and such positive energy for figuring out how to make W30 work.  

I used to be blown away with Whole Foods, especially the cheese section.  I wanted all the things.  We went there a few weeks ago and it was "meh."  I walked out with 2 pounds of grass fed beef and coconut flour tortillas (this was before I started this round of W30).  It seemed so few things were compliant and I was disappointed.  My takeaway was that I don't need to pay extra $ for organic frou frou  or what seems like healthy options when there are so many great recipes for ______ (mayo, salad dressing, bbq sauce, etc) that are actually compliant.

It's great to have you on the forum and we're all cheering for you!  :)

Hi Jager! Thanks for the warm welcome! <3

Day 4:

B: Avocado baked with an egg on each side and topped with bacon. Apple with almond butter. Coffee.

L: Didn't plan properly for lunch - bowl of fruit and a Lara Bar 

D: Steak w sautéed onions/garlic in crushed tomatoes and zoodles

Today is the first day I didn't feel a crazy desire to start snacking after dinner. I hope it lasts!

Day 5 Report!

Honestly, I've had low low energy today. Kind of a foggy headache, but I slept well last night and had caffeine and water today so I'm not sure what's up. Yesterday I had to turn my head from the pizza takeout my family had, but my meal filled me. Today I had all my meals planned but I swear I've felt like I could sleep all day. I thought this happens tomorrow!

B: Sweet Potato Mash (made with almond milk and some coconut oil) topped with almond butter and some berries. Coffee. Apple.

L: Homemade chicken tortilla soup (sans the actual tortilla part!) with a side salad of lettuce, guac, peppers, and cucumbers. Tea.

D: Two slices of ham with two fried eggs on top (used ghee). Berries with almond milk, dates, and coconut flakes.

Well Done DrawMonkey! The smell of pizza is the biggest temptation out there. Seriously, the crack of all food smells. I think the taste of the steak is wayyy better, but the smell of pizza is the clear winner in that battle. You should feel super proud that you didn’t cave to the pressure so early on. 

@MimiHi and @CaveMom 

Oh MANNNNNN Did I want a slice packed with pepperoni!!! And a cold beer!!! Last time I had pizza, though, I stuffed myself with three slices and a bottle of beer and felt like a fat pig the rest of the night. I felt infinitely better once my dinner was cooked and consumed!

Thanks for both your encouragement!

Day 6 Log:

Today was tough, only in that I had to say "no" to something. My group of coworkers went out to a restaurant tonight where it's "pasta night". Now, there are salads I could have probably ordered - and I even considered ordering their side dish of meat in sauce. But I know how sweet their sauce tends to be, which means sugar is definitely added (I did call and they weren't very helpful in listing ingredients). Also, only 6 days in it would've been too much to sit there and nibble on a non-filling salad while everyone around me enjoyed massive bowls of pasta (pasta night menu is ... pasta... nothing else). I received texts all morning from friends, telling me "c'mon you can cheat one day... just eat a little!" and "it's ok, we don't care that you eat salad!" As kind as that all was... I said no. I stayed home because I knew I wasn't ready to tackle that kind of temptation yet, even though I would've loved to hang out with them all.

B: 2 egg omelette with zoodles, peppers, and bacon

L: Chicken thigh pieces in homemade compliant hot wing sauce over salad. Fruit bowl (w coconut milk and flakes). Peppers dipped in guac.

D: Compliant mashed potatoes (made with ghee) and homemade chicken tortilla soup leftovers.

I'm not going to lie... I miss pasta. 

Quick Update: Last night I decided to get a hold of planning and my budget and map out a meal schedule for the week. I sat with an index card and outlined what I wanted for every meal from Monday through Saturday. I then made a list of groceries I'd need to grab for all of those meals. It ended up saving me $$ at the grocery store as I literally only bought what I absolutely needed. While I want to try tons of new recipes I limited myself to making two new dishes this week: a Brazilian Fish Stew and Coconut Curry Scallops (the recipe calls for shrimp but scallops were cheaper). 

Archived