Monkey's Whole30 Log

DrawMonkey

First off, it's great your co-workers want you to join them even if you're eating salad, but this early in the game, you made the wise choice to pass on "pasta night", which sounds fantastic right now, and I haven't eaten pasta for years. Seriously, you'd be a glutton for punishment having to deal with pizza in your face one night, pasta the next. Good call staying home. I love your menu planning idea. It probably made shopping way easier...no wandering around the store trying to figure out what to get for the next week!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, MimiHi said:

First off, it's great your co-workers want you to join them even if you're eating salad, but this early in the game, you made the wise choice to pass on "pasta night", which sounds fantastic right now, and I haven't eaten pasta for years. Seriously, you'd be a glutton for punishment having to deal with pizza in your face one night, pasta the next. Good call staying home. I love your menu planning idea. It probably made shopping way easier...no wandering around the store trying to figure out what to get for the next week!

I feel better today that I resisted "Pasta Night", even though I got slack for it at work today! 

And yes! Shopping went quicker and more efficient! I hate shopping period so having a "buy this" list was perfect. 

Day 7 Log

HOLY CRAP I DID THIS A WHOLE WEEK! (celebration dance with cartwheels)

How I'm feeling: good... I think I've lost a little bloat over the last week. Other that a little fruit and a Lara Bar once or twice I really didn't feel the urge to snack either. I know the challenge gets harder as I go further, but right now I'm pretty happy with my progress

B: avocado eggs and bacon / coffee / handful of berries

L: Salad with steak tenderloin w tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers / coffee

D1: ( I worked out this morning and 6am and didn't have time for a pre workout meal. I also had work this afternoon from 3:30-8:30) half cup of remainder chicken tortilla soup

D2: (after work): Thai coconut chicken curry with veggies

Day 8

Y'all...

I'm not even Southern, but it's a y'all moment.

I. Ate. Peas.

I was enjoying a huge delicious bowl of homemade veggie soup that my mom made "compliant" for me and it was the nicest thing... and I saw the peas. After several massive spoonfuls of soup. I laughed bc really, what am I going to do? I did try and consciously eat around the peas after that (It's a trick I picked up when I was little and would eat everything but the thin shaved carrot sticks my mom desperately  tried to hide in things), but peas there were and peas I ate.

So... do I start over? Hell no. They're peas, for God's sake. I feel good about this decision... It wasn't a "OMYGOD if I don't eat pizza I'll die" binge. It was a few spoonfuls of soup and some peas. The soup was delicious by the way. I know, really, technically I should start over but I made it through a week and I'm not going to be stopped by some peas.

Other struggles today: Hunger. Maybe I haven't balanced my meals properly today but I was rummaging in my compliant food for something to eat all day. I succumbed to the cherry pie Lara Bar, but my heart was crying for a brownie. The Lara Bar killed whatever hunger monster was inside me, however. 

B: 2 eggs and bacon. Coffee. Fruit cup w almond milk and coconut flakes.

L: Veggie soup. Orange.

D: Brazilian fish stew (recipe I found online and it was AMAZING). Lara Bar.

14 hours ago, DrawMonkey said:

Day 8

Y'all...

I'm not even Southern, but it's a y'all moment.

I can't tell you enough how much I love the way you wrote that.

Peas suck. I cannot abide by peas. I think I initially bought into the whole30 because of the ban on peas. (sort of kidding.)

But seriously, I wouldn't start over as it was an accident but it was a vegetable accident. 

9 hours ago, AnitaC said:

I can't tell you enough how much I love the way you wrote that.

Peas suck. I cannot abide by peas. I think I initially bought into the whole30 because of the ban on peas. (sort of kidding.)

But seriously, I wouldn't start over as it was an accident but it was a vegetable accident. 

Ok, speaking of great things said "vegetable accident" takes the cake.

Day 9

I've recovered from my "Vegetable Accident!" Today was a pretty good day... last night I would've done anything for a brownie, but today It think I managed my food portions and templates well.

B: 2 eggs / bacon / coffee

L: Leftover chicken curry / orange / coffee later on

D: sheet bake with chicken, zoodles, broccoli, onions and garlic. SO FREAKING GOOD!

Day 10

TEN. DAYS. IN.

How I'm feeling... less bloated. I don't feel majorly different other than less bloated. it's been a rough ten days: I started out rocky, had a couple achingly real cravings for things (read: brownies), and some days the urge to prep and plan just wasn't there. Oh, and the peas. :)

Things I've noticed... I'm a big snacker, taster, finger full of icing here, grab a cookie someone brought to work there, sure I'll take a bite kind of person. Other than a passing thought now and then, I didn't even have those urges at all. It took a lot of mental work, but I walked by a box of chocolate open on the break table at work for the last two days and didn't even look at it. Ten days ago those would've been DEMOLISHED. Don't get me wrong, it's hard, but the meals I've been making and take-along to work fruit and acceptable snacks have been a huge help. 

B: 2 egg omelette with guac and zoodles / coffee

L: Leftover fish stew / avocado / fruit / coffee

D: Buffalo chicken over salad. And I am sampling the bake I made for tomorrow: sweet potato/apple/egg bake with coconut milk. CANNOT WAIT

Ok, I swear, I'm in some sort of time warp...how in the heck did you get to ten days already, DrawMonkey? Jager07's past half way, you're on day 10? Crazy. I love "vegetable accident." That goes down in the all time perfect ways to scooch around the rules that don't quite fit for the moment. LOVE IT!

You are officially 1/3 the way there, DrawMonkey! Well done, You!

Midday Mayday 11 Update

Guys...

Day 10/11 Hard days TOTES REAL.

I want Pizza. I want the freaking apple pie my dad has for his birthday. I want to go out and eat a burger on a real bun. I want food that has not been meticulously curated by me, but prepared by someone else and eaten because I want to enjoy it. I am not enjoying it. I'm sick of protein and sweet potatoes... and I still don't understand why people think chia seeds are something special bc they don't TASTE special and other than sprinkling them on stuff I have no idea what I'm doing with them. I've looked up recipes and tried new foods but I feel like it's basically "season it enough and it'll be ok" kind of game here. I'm really really frustrated.

Rant over. 

Day 11 Menu

Honestly, I was completely NOT motivated after breakfast. I had plans for all my meals and just decided not to do any of them... I hope tomorrow is better.

B: Sweet potato and apple bake / coffee / bacon

L: fruit bowl / tuna with guac tomatoes and onions / little piece of sweet potato apple bake

D: ham steak and eggs / coffee

Ugh. Worst Day. 

Day 12

Ok... rough day over. I feel a lot better today.

I sat down again and made a menu for the week then went out and bought what I needed. A friend of mine last night - who has gone through the Whole30 - let me complain a little then said "well just quit then if you feel that way." I was indignant, "I'm not quitting 11 days in!!!" She laughed and said, "Well there's your answer, quit whining, you're not allowed any wine on this anyway." ... she has a point.

Today was much better, mentally though.

B: Leftover sweet potato apple bake coffee

L: Scallops on Zoodle pasta and sauce

D: Hamburger patty, avocado, banana (banana separate!)

Day 13

Still feeling good... just... I don't know... I'm 13 days in, should I feel different? I feel ok... I have good food. I'm not craving snacks today. I just feel... ok.

B: eggs/zoodles/bacon omelette / coffee

L: pork tenderlion / veggies / compliant mashed potatoes / fruit

D: homemade taco on salad w tomatoes / banana

DrawMonkey--the middle weeks were the worst, I swear, I hated those days...not that this makes you feel any better or anything...just maybe less insane. Anyone who thinks this program is awesome the whole time is a liar. Complain all you want here. I know I certainly did. Get to day 15 then you'll feel a bit less bogged down because you'll then be half way, and for some reason it seems to be less suck'ish after that.

42 minutes ago, MimiHi said:

DrawMonkey--the middle weeks were the worst, I swear, I hated those days...not that this makes you feel any better or anything...just maybe less insane. Anyone who thinks this program is awesome the whole time is a liar. Complain all you want here. I know I certainly did. Get to day 15 then you'll feel a bit less bogged down because you'll then be half way, and for some reason it seems to be less suck'ish after that.

@MimiHi Thank you... I DID need to hear that. I didn't go into this just to lose weight, but considering all that I had been eating before this I thought by now I'd notice some change there too. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much only 14 days in? I've been exercising more along with this new eating regimen... I just felt by now I'd feel like "WOW Ok I get it, this is good. I feel good." I'm trying to stay positive but I feel like I"m doing all these things and wondering when I'll notice when it's paying off. 

Welcome to my world, DrawMonkey. I totally get it. I mean, I TOTALLY get it. I just got done eating turkey for a day, for god sakes.

Here's what I have to say about wondering if it's working: just stick with it. It's working. I really believe that.  

The only way it's not, is if you've got something else going on in the way I did (do), and you have no clue about whatever it is...as in what happened to me with this SIBO business. Even with all this other stuff going on, I still have some super positive changes happening, like my abdomen looks less distended (4 months pregnant look vs. 10), and I have some hormonal things improving, which are actually big wins for me because I'm a breast cancer survivor and can't take any hormonal supplements, so seeing some improvement there is definite proof that things are moving in the right direction.

Seriously, these days in the middle feel super long. It's a big chunk in time and it seems never ending...but you will make it to day 15 tomorrow, and then it's all down hill from there. Whatever you do, no matter what they say, don't quit. There's a lot of information to discover between day 15 and day 30. Even if you have to limp to the finish line, don't give up. Crawling to the end is waayyyyy better than giving in. Trust me on this. On day 30, you will not remember the feeling you have today. On day 30, you'll bask in the glory of finishing what you started. Trust me on this one, DrawMonkey. 

Plus, I have to start over in a couple days, and will feel super bummed out if you're not here for my first few new days.

Day 14...

After a much needed pep talk from @MimiHi (thank you thank you) and a seriously chillaxing yoga class, I'm feeling less disgruntled. I think when I did programs like Weight Watchers I saw results right there... join the program a week later boom 7 lbs lost. Hey magic! Then the magic dies down.. it's a pound here, a pound there, gain a pound, lose three pounds, everywhere a pound pound... wait, now I got that song in my head. The point is: I was focused on the numbers and the points and the weekly scale results. This is different.

Workout regimen: I'm week 3 into a 4 week "yoga boot camp" that meets MWF from 6a-7a (you know, because everyone loves working out before dawn...) It's brutal and a challenge but it's getting me stronger. I also practice yoga at night when I can. I've been practicing for 7 years and this past year I hadn't been as devoted as I was in the past. Well, I'm back on track. Tonight's class really just put me in zen mode for yoga, for Whole 30, etc. Tomorrow I might be cranky, but tonight I'm loving life.

B: Sweet Potato Mash (seriously, this is like illegal it's so good. I make it with coconut milk and adorn it with some fruit and cacao nibs for crunch) Coffee

L: Taco meat in veggie soup (hold the peas) with some extra taco meat on some endive leaves. Orange

D: Steak marinated in coconut aminos and sesame oil / leftover veggies and potatoes from last night.

Snack: Banana and a couple dates. I'm about to make some hot water w lemon and Thieves oil now.

Also, I'm TOTALLY in it to win it...and here for @MimiHi when she starts up again! I had a few people tell me just to quit if I wasn't feeling it... that it's no big deal if I quit it's not like it's going to matter.

But finishing it does matter to me. So I'm finishing. Halfway mark tomorrow!

Thank you @CaveMom!!!

WOOOOOAHHHHHHH I'm half way therrreeeee WOOAAAHHHHH eating on a prayer!

Ok, today I feel pretty good! I did two yoga classes yesterday, a very intense slow flow this morning (note: slow flow is NOT easy yoga), and I made some food today that I love and was very filling.

B: avocado, egg, bacon coffee

L: Taco meat on lettuce / banana

Lara Bar snack

D: Homemade chicken tortilla soup / fruit cup

Archived