Stomach trouble on day 5

Dagcar

Hello, 

This is my first time doing the Whole30. I’m currently on day 5 and feeling pretty good. I wasn’t someone who binge ate before but I also didn’t really pay a whole lot of attention to what I ate. I did have a secret sweet tooth though so sneaking some sweet treats was my thing. ;) 

Yesterday I ate an apple. I’ve eaten apples almost daily since starting my Whole30, but after yesterday’s apple I suddenly had to get to the bathroom and quick! Sorry TMI, but it was pretty loose. This morning after my coffee again the same thing. The rest of the day I was fine, but after consuming an apple I had instant diarrhea. Within 15 minutes of eating it. Has anyone else had this? Could it be the sugar in the apple that my body is no longer used to? 

Thanks! 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Dagcar said:

Hello, 

This is my first time doing the Whole30. I’m currently on day 5 and feeling pretty good. I wasn’t someone who binge ate before but I also didn’t really pay a whole lot of attention to what I ate. I did have a secret sweet tooth though so sneaking some sweet treats was my thing. ;) 

Yesterday I ate an apple. I’ve eaten apples almost daily since starting my Whole30, but after yesterday’s apple I suddenly had to get to the bathroom and quick! Sorry TMI, but it was pretty loose. This morning after my coffee again the same thing. The rest of the day I was fine, but after consuming an apple I had instant diarrhea. Within 15 minutes of eating it. Has anyone else had this? Could it be the sugar in the apple that my body is no longer used to? 

Thanks! 

This happens to me with apples too.... stop eating the apple...

• Administrators

That seems a bit strange that all of a sudden you have an apple issue........after 5 days without any issue. And I assume, a lifetime of eating apples and no problems? 

I would give a rundown on the foods you've been eating and we can see if anything else stands out. Could be that you are overdosing on brassica or fodmaps and the apple is the last straw? 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

That seems a bit strange that all of a sudden you have an apple issue........after 5 days without any issue. And I assume, a lifetime of eating apples and no problems? 

I would give a rundown on the foods you've been eating and we can see if anything else stands out. Could be that you are overdosing on brassica or fodmaps and the apple is the last straw? 

I have an apple issue about half the time I eat them... usually worse when the apple is cold... immediate digestive distress... or no problem at all... it's a 'crap shoot'... LOL!

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Dagcar said:

Thanks guys! It’s definitely apple. I tested again and within 10 mins I was running to the bathroom. I guess they are out for me, unless I want a cleaning :D 

Ya, I've never figured it out but I suppose if you cared enough to do research (I don't because in general I don't eat fruit) you could research reactions from fructose from apples... it's got to be 'something'... I"m actually glad you posted this because I've always just thought I"m really weird.

Wow...that exact thing happened to me on day 6! Of course one of the reasons I started W30 was because of changes in my *ahem* bathroom habits lately and I thought I might have developed a food allergy. So it'll be interesting if anyone else comments on your post...may give us both some answers.

Apples do have a high content of insoluble fiber... It could just be that because your gut is functioning better sans inflammatory foods, it's being more "efficient" with high fiber foods? Maybe? You could do another test - try peeling the apple and eating it without the skin (where most of the fiber is) and see if it has the same effect..?

Archived