Old Injury Flare Up

I’m on day 9 and have had a lot of pain and tightness in my calf above a persistent swollen ankle abused by years of basketball and distance running. The calf has been pretty steady for about 5 days, and does not correlate with any exercise I have done. Before startinng whole 30 I rarely if ever had pain even after intense workouts. Is it normal to have pain in areas that have had persistent inflammation?  I feel like it may be that I’m missing my normal calcium from my daily plain Greek yogurt breakfast. 

Hi there.

The book does say it flares can happen before improvement comes looking. I myself have the same problem in my hand. It's not an old injury but it is a pain in my hand that just flared up again. Also an old injury in my foot was naging me a couple of days ago, luckily that din't stay. 

May I ask, are you eating food that you previously didn't or almost never ate? Did you maybe, without really giving it any thought, change shoes of started to go for hikes? Maybe less magnesium or such? (have to admit, kinda asking to see if maybe we can help each other, am not a doctor or expert in any way)

Hope it is just a flare up like the book says and it will pass soon. Hang in there!

Hey, this is my first time participating on a whole30 forum. I came here looking for answers because my body has been hurting! I have a pain in my ankle, knees and some days my back. It seems to be in my joints. The vertebrae in my back just ache. It comes and goes but the one in my ankle seems to stay. I am on day 11 of my first whole30. I didn't have any joint pain before starting this so I would really like to know if this is a side effect of my diet change. 

11 hours ago, Helen_ said:

May I ask, are you eating food that you previously didn't or almost never ate? Did you maybe, without really giving it any thought, change shoes of started to go for hikes? Maybe less magnesium or such? (have to admit, kinda asking to see if maybe we can help each other, am not a doctor or expert in any way)

I'm not eating anything new.  I was eating pretty healthy before starting, so I really just had to cut a few things from my normal routine and increase my intake of vegetables.  I have tried to add more kale, broccoli, almonds, sweet potatoes, and beets, because they are good sources of potassium/magnesium/calcium.

I have also cut way back on my exercise regimen because of being tired, so its not related to a new injury.

Just an update on my calf/ankle pain:

Currently on day 14 now. My ankle and calf are feeling a lot better. I added more green vegetables to my diet, and did a lot of soaking in Epsom salt baths. I think that the ankle and calf are healing more completely now that my diet is facilitating it which was what caused the initial tightness and pain. 

I’ll try and update this post again when the ankle/calf stabilize. 

Archived