Day Nine: Still Not Sleeping

Hey all.

So this is my Round 2 experience.  Despite being ill prepared and under researched, I completed my first Whole 30 about a year and a half ago. It was technically compliant, but far from perfect.  However, I finished amazed by my new found energy, mental clarity, body awareness and even some weight loss. I’ve been on a meandering downhill path since.  Great food choices for the first six months, then less so, so on and so forth.  After a terrible food free-for-all holiday season, it was time to reset.  

So, this time, I’ve researched and food prepped like crazy, and the first 9 days have been great.  Not as angry as last time, less GI distress, less cravings, and more mental clarity + energy already; HOWEVER, I’m not sleeping at all.  I do not normally suffer from insomnia.  In fact, I often sleep 10+ hours and still feel tired.  So it’s super weird to be fairly energetic with what feels like zero sleep.  My brain will not shut off.   I feel like this is not sustainable for long.  Pre-round 2, I usually drank/ate a ton of caffeine (lattes, unsweetened iced tea, chocolate, etc) without issue, so I feel like my one cup of coffee with breakfast on this Whole30 can’t be the problem.  Getting up in the morning is becoming a nightmare (although, once I start eating and the day gets rolling, I feel good.)  By 9:00 p.m., I’m exhausted, fall into bed and then bam!  Brain awake!!

Anyone else??  Let me know!  I’ll be up! ;)

• Moderators

There are some tips in this article that might help:  http://whole9life.com/2015/04/mental-health-sleep-1/  If you google Whole30 sleep hygiene, you can find a few other articles too. 

I don't think that article mentions it, but some people find that having starchy vegetables with their last meal of the day seems to help them sleep. Some people also find taking magnesium helpful -- look for a compliant version, I know original Natural Calm is ok on Whole30, it's a powder you dissolve in water and drink, tastes a bit like alka seltzer. If you do try magnesium, Natural Calm or other brands, start with less than a full dose and see how it affects you, because it can have a laxative effect if you get too much. Also note that occasionally some people find it makes them feel more awake instead of relaxed -- it's not the usual reaction, but it happens to some people.

Thank you!  I’ve have tried making my dinner a heavier carb meal, spacing out eating and going to bed, and then lots of the usual sleep remedies (routine, no electronics, guided relaxation, cooler room, etc.)  I prefer eating a variety of food rather than taking supplements, but at this point, it’s worth a shot!  I really appreciate it!

@Emmalee750, In R1 I found my sleep really shifted around for the first two weeks. I had been sleeping fine pre-W30 and was shocked when my sleep went all haywire when I started. Halfway through things evened out - I think it was my hormones readjusting/rebalancing. This R2 I had a few days where my sleep was strange but it seems back to normal again. 

If it's not adjusting then def try magnesium - it helps a lot of people. 

Good luck!

Archived