Coconut Aminos in UK

Ashleigh185

This is my second Whole 30, however, this round is being done in London as we moved in September. We had all of our staples in the US and now are starting from scratch (with not nearly as many options sold or shipped here).

I know that the rules changed and approved all coconut aminos, however, Melissa's references are all to coconut nectar and sap. One of the brands sold in the UK (Cocofina Coconut Aminos) has different ingredients and actually lists "coconut sugar". Not sure if this is just a difference of terminology here. Is this still compliant based on her description of how coconut aminos are made?

Ingredients: Organic coconut vinegar, coconut nectar, coconut sugar, salt, garlic, onion.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Ashleigh185 said:

This is my second Whole 30, however, this round is being done in London as we moved in September. We had all of our staples in the US and now are starting from scratch (with not nearly as many options sold or shipped here).

I know that the rules changed and approved all coconut aminos, however, Melissa's references are all to coconut nectar and sap. One of the brands sold in the UK (Cocofina Coconut Aminos) has different ingredients and actually lists "coconut sugar". Not sure if this is just a difference of terminology here. Is this still compliant based on her description of how coconut aminos are made?

Ingredients: Organic coconut vinegar, coconut nectar, coconut sugar, salt, garlic, onion.

Yes, this is fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there ... I have checked this with Melissa as I could not see any way that a product with added coconut sugar is compliant. She agrees. These aminos are NOT compliant, because of the coconut sugar.

There are other brands available in the UK which do not contain coconut sugar and are compliant. 

3 hours ago, Hannlib said:

Hi there ... I have checked this with Melissa as I could not see any way that a product with added coconut sugar is compliant. She agrees. These aminos are NOT compliant, because of the coconut sugar.

There are other brands available in the UK which do not contain coconut sugar and are compliant. 

It would be great to know what the brands are. I live next to Waitrose, Sainsburys, M&S and Whole Foods and there are none sold at any of these stores that are compliant. 

12 hours ago, Ashleigh185 said:

It would be great to know what the brands are. I live next to Waitrose, Sainsburys, M&S and Whole Foods and there are none sold at any of these stores that are compliant. 

The only compliant coconut aminos I've seen are on Amazon and are not always available - and they're pricey when they are! I've never been able to justify the cost to be honest & just go without...

1 hour ago, jmcbn said:

The only compliant coconut aminos I've seen are on Amazon and are not always available - and they're pricey when they are! I've never been able to justify the cost to be honest & just go without...

Agreed. The compliant ones are actually from the US. Just wanted clarification when it was said that there are other compliant brands that are in the UK. I don’t believe that statement is true. 

Hi yep coconut secret is available on Amazon UK in various sizes and multibuys, I've never had issue with it being out of stock. It is expensive though. 

And this is a compliant option from Ocado 

https://www.ocado.com/webshop/product/Coconut-Merchant-Coconut-Savoury-Sauce/372203011?ULP_CAMPAIGN_ID=52&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9MZD3h-nqZl4qWX_GOzOOnXQdzfENyJG77PWwSDB5b64T7QfbMaaxTwaAiTYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM_opqjzltkCFVGt7QodIBELNw

Archived