Coconut Chicken Soup - So good and easy!

RandiW

Last night I played around with some recipes I found online and whipped together my own compliant Thai Coconut chicken Soup. So good and fast and easy (and had leftovers), figured I'd share.  My partner isn't doing W30, so I put some rice noodles in his bowl first and just ladled soup over it to soften them.

1 red pepper, cut into strips
1 container mushrooms, sliced
1 onion sliced into half moons
(could also add shredded carrots, snap peas in too for more veg and would be good)
6 cups broth
1.5 cans coconut milk
2 tbsp grated ginger
2-4 split lemongrass stalks
.25 cup compliant fish sauce
3 tsp  (or more/less to your taste) compliant thai red curry paste
1-2 limes of lime juice
2-4 chix breasts cut into cubes (we used 4 split breasts) - but can use shrimp too.
3 scallions, sliced

Lightly saute pepper, mushrooms and onions in a tbsp or so of EVOO/coconut oil over medium heat. When they've softened a bit but aren't limp, Add in broth, coconut milk, grated ginger, lemongrass, and fish sauce. Let cook together a few minutes, then add curry paste. Bring to boil and then return to a simmer for about 10 minutes. If using chicken, add in chicken chunks and cook for another 5-10 to cook through, then juice 1 lime into the soup. Taste, add salt or more curry paste if desired. Ladle into bowls (avoiding lemongrass - I leave it in the pot to continue to flavor soup for leftovers, but you could pull it out when you're ready to serve) and top with scallions - I put another bowl of cut limes on the table. So easy!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, RandiW said:

Last night I played around with some recipes I found online and whipped together my own compliant Thai Coconut chicken Soup. So good and fast and easy (and had leftovers), figured I'd share.  My partner isn't doing W30, so I put some rice noodles in his bowl first and just ladled soup over it to soften them.

(could also add shredded carrots, snap peas in too for more veg and would be good)
6 cups broth
1.5 cans coconut milk
2 tbsp grated ginger
1-2 limes of lime juice
2-4 chix breasts cut into cubes (we used 4 split breasts) - but can use shrimp too.
3 scallions, sliced

Lightly saute pepper, mushrooms and onions in a tbsp or so of EVOO/coconut oil over medium heat. When they've softened a bit but aren't limp, Add in broth, coconut milk, grated ginger, lemongrass, and fish sauce. Let cook together a few minutes, then add curry paste. Bring to boil and then return to a simmer for about 10 minutes. If using chicken, add in chicken chunks and cook for another 5-10 to cook through, then juice 1 lime into the soup. Taste, add salt or more curry paste if desired. Ladle into bowls (avoiding lemongrass - I leave it in the pot to continue to flavor soup for leftovers, but you could pull it out when you're ready to serve) and top with scallions - I put another bowl of cut limes on the table. So easy!

Oh man, this sounds sooo good!  I make soup for lunch every week... this is going into next week's rotation!  Plus it'll get three mason jars of broth out of my freezer to make room for something else :)  Thanks for sharing!

• Moderators
On January 11, 2018 at 6:36 AM, RandiW said:

6 cups broth
1.5 cans coconut milk
2 tbsp grated ginger
1-2 limes of lime juice
3 scallions, sliced

DUDE! (ette)  OMG, this soup is AMAZING!  You're getting a billboard outside my house announcing just how incredible this is!  I made it as written except used two cans of coconut milk (because I'm too lazy to find a container to put the other half can in), the full four lemon grass stalks, probably about 4-5 tsp of red curry paste and had to use lime juice out of a bottle cause I forgot to buy limes.  I also did the spiralized carrots, half a produce bag of bean sprouts and half a bag of spinach that needed using. Cooked it all with chicken, dished it into five jars for lunches and then took the rest and dumped 60-70 peeled shrimp in and cooked it again and had that for supper and probably breakfast tomorrow!  Fully going into the soup rotation in this house!  Thanks again!

11 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

DUDE! (ette)  OMG, this soup is AMAZING!  You're getting a billboard outside my house announcing just how incredible this is!  I made it as written except used two cans of coconut milk (because I'm too lazy to find a container to put the other half can in), the full four lemon grass stalks, probably about 4-5 tsp of red curry paste and had to use lime juice out of a bottle cause I forgot to buy limes.  I also did the spiralized carrots, half a produce bag of bean sprouts and half a bag of spinach that needed using. Cooked it all with chicken, dished it into five jars for lunches and then took the rest and dumped 60-70 peeled shrimp in and cooked it again and had that for supper and probably breakfast tomorrow!  Fully going into the soup rotation in this house!  Thanks again!

Glad you liked it! I was so psyched about it myself I immediately thought, "this HAS to go on the forum!" And ha! to the coconut milk - I actually only used 1.5 cans instead of 2 because we had a half can left and I didn't want to open a new can and waste (as if) the half we had in the fridge. Glad someone else has discovered the easy wonder of this soup. :D

Archived