Allergic to Coconut

Saucy8615

I know has been a lot of discussion about this, and I’m getting conflicting messages. I have a serious allergy to coconut; itching, hives, anaphylacsis in severe instances. So many recipes call for coconut oil, coconut milk, coconut flour, etc; what have been some successful substitutes? I don’t necessarily need to make the recipes with coconut milk, but the ones with coconut oil are staples.

Thank you in advance for the help!

• Moderators

Have you googled 'whole30 coconut allergy'?  This has been discussed a lot and usually there are recipe suggestions thrown out to people with this concern.  If a recipe calls for coconut oil, use any kind of cooking fat you use on other days (that are Whole 30 compliant).  If it calls for coconut flour, use almond flour or a mixture of almond flour and arrowroot powder.  I can't give you ratios or tell you if it's a 1:1 substitution because I've never done it but I"m sure with a little google research you can find out what to do in recipes that call for coconut flour that you have to sub for a different kind.

I have a few thoughts. I don't have an actual allergy, but during my first Whole30 realized if I eat coconut more than 1 day in a row things don't go well, but have found some tricks:

1. The easiest thing to do is just pick recipes that don't use coconut products. I know this leaves out things like curry, but there are so many other delicious options, I rarely miss it.

2. If the recipe is calling for coconut flour as either a thickener or coating, it can easily be switched out for another flour option.

3. If coconut seems to simply be a garnish, just leave it out. I bet it will taste just as good.

Archived