whole30, hair loss and weird ailments

jennycash

hello all!

i am starting my second whole30 in january (my first was this past august - loved it!). since august, i have done a horrible job of staying on track. so, i am hoping another whole30 (maybe 60 or 90) will help me with my self-control.

i have two questions.

first: i have been losing quite a lot of hair. it wasn't a result of my august whole30 - it had been going on for awhile - and i didn't notice any improvement during my whole30. i am wondering if there is a condition or vitamin/mineral deficiency that causes hair loss over a long period of time? i have had 2 children but my youngest just turned 4.

second: i really loved the whole30 the first time around. while i never got the energy surge i had hoped for, i dropped 9 stubborn pounds, was sleeping like a newborn, and felt really good about being in control of my food choices. the bad side? about 3 weeks in, i began getting sick. first a cold, stuffy nose, etc, but then i had some weird stuff happen: a horrible case of conjunctivitis (my kids were healthy and i wasn't exposed that i know of) in both eyes, and a really bad UTI (which i've never had in my life!). it may have been a coincidence, but didn't seem like it to me. i felt awful for the last week and a half of my whole30, which was disappointing. i wanted to go out on a high note! :)

i am, honestly, a little scared about having the same experience, with funky illness during the whole30. i guess i just want some encouragement.... :/

thanks!

jen

Jennycash- there's a testimonial on the site somewhere about a girl that dealt with hair-loss. Obviously it could be entirely different to your case but it might be a good start. Here's the link: http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole30-success-story-jessica-o/

Your other issues sound like they could have been coincidence, so I'd just get stuck in if I were you and see what happens! Although of course, I'm a novice myself, so you might get some better and more qualified advice from one of our fellow forumites. Don't let it put you off though.....

Good luck!

Could be a bunch of things: iron related issues (either too much or not enough), or thyroid issues (probably more likely), adrenal/stress stuff.

It's best that you don't guess with this, though. Find a naturopath or functional medicine doc and target the problem. Whole30s will help over the long term, but especially if it's hormonal, you're probably going to need some extra help

You have little kids. If you sleep at all, that counts as an energy boost. And with little kids, going 21 straight days without any weird ailments counts as a win. Seriously. When you're in the midst of little-kid-raising, you don't realize what a parallel universe it is. It just ain't normal. :lol: You can do this!

I agree it could be completely unrelated..... but also if you have a history of major inflammation it could take some months and lots of ups and downs to really heal your ailments. I have a huge history of inflammation and like you I lost weight - 7 lbs, and my skin improved heaps but I still have sleep issues, digestive issues, some residual skin problems and variable energy. I feel like I have gone backwards in some things (energy and sleep!) and my body doesnt yet digest fat as well as it should but I still think I am on the right track and am doing a whole100 to see how everything ends up after that. I am also trialling digestive enzymes and looking more carefully at the fluctuations against what I ate each day. You might find it valuable to get more knowledgeable advice as the whole30 diet cant necessarily fix everything. Best of luck.

Archived