Anita's Whole30 log - first time

AnitaC

Day 22

Breakfast: boiled egg, banana and almond butter

Lunch: sausage, ground turkey and vegetable mix, a whole avocado

Dinner: sausage, ground turkey and vegetable mix, apple and almond butter

Thoughts

I know, too much almond butter today.

I'm starting to think about next week and the reintroduction. I'm pretty sure I can push this and go a bit longer but I want milk in my coffee so badly. I don't like cream or sugar in my coffee, I like skim milk and I miss it so much. More than wine and sugar, I want milk in my coffee. I'm thinking about reintroducing dairy first, just to have some milk in my coffee but then I don't know if I could then not have it the next day. So maybe I'll do grains or something.

I have plans tomorrow evening. It's a trivia night so I'm not worried about the no drinking. People are meeting at Nando's beforehand. I checked out the menu and past posts and know I can't have anything except a plain salad and maybe the mixed olives (I'll ask about the brine and oil before ordering). Or I can stop at home, eat something here, then meet them at the trivia place. I would prefer that because then I can touch up my makeup and maybe change my clothes. We'll see.

Day 23

Pre-run: half a boiled egg, 1/4 an avocado

Post-run: sausage vegetable mix (lots of root vegetables)

Breakfast: 1 1/2 boiled eggs, 3/4 avocado

Lunch: sausage and ground turkey vegetable mix, one avocado

Snack (4pm): eight black olives

Dinner: went to Nando's, had a plain salad (romaine lettuce, mixed greens, tomato and cucumber) with olive oil and lemon juice

Snack (11pm): one boiled egg, six black olives

Thoughts

Going to Nando's was tough. I wanted to get the mixed olives but they couldn't show me the ingredients in the oil and brine so I played it safe and passed. My friends went crazy on the chicken, fries, rice and garlic bread and I really really wanted it. I never thought about slipping (except for the Extra Hot sauce) but I really wanted to eat it. On the walk home, they were all groaning about being full and I was jealous of that. Yes, it sucks being really full but that's not the worst thing in the world and it's temporary.

My run was really good this morning. I didn't stare at the clock on the treadmill and I could have ran longer but I had to go to work and the treadmill was set 30 minutes it was. But tomorrow or Sunday, I want to try for 45 minutes. If I did find a good balance with a pre and post run meal, yay!!!!! And this was the first time I ran three times in a week in........... I can't remember.

One more week to go. I'm nervous about this coming to an end because I'm not disciplined and will fall into bad habits. This morning I was spending my usual 45 minutes applying my makeup and I thought it was so weird I spend so much and spend so much time on skincare and cosmetics and my hair but put so little effort into my body and health. I have to put the same amount of effort into my body and health as I do my makeup. But makeup is so much more fun.

Day 24

Pre-run: one boiled egg and 1/4 an avocado

Pre-run take 2: one boiled egg and 1/4 an avocado

Post-run: turkey sausage, sweet potato and apple mix

Dinner: coconut curry chicken and cauli-rice

Thoughts

Went downstairs to the gym but the treadmill I like was taken. I went back upstairs, changed, and went to Farm Boy (regional, better than Whole Foods IMO). I picked up a whole bunch of stuff, came home and spent the next four hours batch cooking. I bought compliant turkey sausage and cut it up, sauteed it in olive oil, onion and garlic with sweet potato, then added diced apple, fresh basil, celery seeds, cinammon and all spice. Also made a bolognese sauce, coconut chicken curry and roasted root vegetables.

After cooking, I went down to the treadmill and ran for 45 minutes, a personal best. I wanted to quit at 10 minutes and kept wanting to quit until 22 minutes when I just wanted to die. Then I kept telling myself I should quit until I hit 35 minutes. Then I just started going through my running playlist for songs that move me and I managed to make it to 45 minutes. The five minute cooldown felt so great.

I didn't eat properly today and I feel a little icky. My stomach has that feeling it would get when I would have sugar on an empty stomach. I'll be back on track tomorrow.

Day 25

Breakfast: two sunnyside up eggs, roasted root vegetables and half an avocado

Lunch: bolognese sauce over cauli-rice, one banana and almond butter

Dinner: chicken coconut curry over cauli-rice

Thoughts

There might be something in the curry that's not agreeing with me because I'm bloated. The only thing different from the bolognese sauce is chicken, coconut oil and red thai chilies. 

I went for a leisurely two hour walk with my mother (probably about 8km) so at least I got outside today. Sunny and above zero, a perfect January day.

Had a dream I had a beer. I woke up so relieved that it was a dream.

Saturday is my reintroduction. I think I'm going to do legumes first, have some sashimi with soy sauce and some peanut butter. Separately, of course. Maybe for dinner get a salad from Farm Boy and add black beans and chickpeas.

Day 26

Pre-run: boiled egg and 1/4 an avocado

Post-run: turkey sausage with sweet potato and apple

Breakfast: two sunnyside up eggs, 2 3/4 avocado and roasted root vegetables

Lunch: bolognese sauce over cauli-rice

Dinner: coconut chicken curry over a cabbage/kale/carrot mix

Thoughts

Farm Boy was out of cauli and broccoli rice so I bought a cabbage/kale/carrot coleslaw (no dressing). I sauteed it in coconut oil with slivered almonds, then added it to the curry. It was really good, lots of flavour and had a nice crunch. Will add it to the bolognese sauce tomorrow.

Friends are going out on Friday, or what I'm referring to as Day 30. The "argument" is now that I can drink at 00:01. Sigh.

I was doing a meal delivery service before I started the whole30. I had been skipping weeks but today I realized that although their offerings are very good quality and I've learned some great techniques and recipes, I want to continue eating this way, or paleo at least, and they can't accommodate that so I cancelled my subscription.

That's about it. Still doing well. Realized today I haven't missed Diet Coke at all. Didn't think I'd easily kick that habit.

Day 27

Post-run: turkey sausage with sweet potato and apple, some roasted root vegetable mix

Breakfast: one boiled egg, 1/4 avocado and roasted root vegetables

Lunch: bolognese sauce over kale/cabbage slaw mix, banana and almond butter

Dinner: steak, sautéed mushrooms and grape tomatoes in ghee, roasted potatoes in olive oil

Thoughts

Was surprised I woke up early to run. Of course waking up too early and going to bed too late caught up with me today at work. Around 3:00, I just couldn't keep my eyes open - the sun shining through the window didn't help. I couldn't handle it, I made it until 4, then left an hour early, came home, crawled into bed and napped until 9. Having dinner at 10:20 will not help. But I'm going to take tomorrow off (running, not work).

Day 28

Breakfast: one boiled egg, 1 avocado and roasted root vegetables

Lunch: coconut chicken curry over kale/cabbage slaw mix, banana and almond butter

Dinner: leftover steak, sautéed mushrooms and grape tomatoes, banana and almond butter

Thoughts

I know, too much almond butter today. The bananas are almost ready to be thrown out and all I want to do is actually finish a bunch of bananas without throwing the last two out. I'm using that as an excuse, I know. And the full avocado at lunch was unnecessary but I didn't have saran wrap (another excuse).

This is the closest I've come to cheating :unsure: I feel ashamed. I better start drinking water so I'm set for a run tomorrow morning.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:19 PM, AnitaC said:

Thoughts

I can't believe I have lived my life thus far and have never had the beauty that is almond butter. It's what I've wanted nutella to be. I want to scream "IT'S COMPLIANT" but I can't revert back to rewarding normal human behaviour with a treat.

omg..right..it's the best thing ever..I can't believe we are allowed to eat it either and the great thing is that's it's so rich ..it's almost impossible to overdo. :) Loving reading your log! :) You're inspiring me..also I totally relate to being attached to the weight outcome..I hid my scales..don't think I've not weighted myself every day in many many years..it's scary but awesome too...I think . :)

Day 29

Post-run: turkey sausage with sweet potato and apple, some roasted root vegetable mix

Breakfast: turkey sausage with sweet potato, 1/4 avocado and roasted root vegetables

Lunch: coconut chicken curry over cauli-rice

Dinner: bolognese sauce over cauli-rice, banana and almond butter

Thoughts

Holy moly, day 29. The desire for a glass of wine is getting too strong. I know I could reintroduce it on Saturday but I don't think I'm strong enough.

Walking home from work, I was thinking and realized I brought my lunch to work every day for four weeks. I ate breakfast every day for four weeks. I had a homecooked meal almost every night for four weeks. I can't believe I did that. I'm lazy as hell. I batch cooked last week and am actually finishing the stuff. I haven't come home and thought "I can't face that dinner I made," I actually ate it happily. I'm scared about life after tomorrow because I don't think I can be disciplined but the only one that can make me disciplined is me.

Maybe a half bottle on Saturday....

I forgot my lunch at home!!!!! It's -28C with the windchill but it's sunny but it's day 30. I could get something compliant at the cafeteria but it wouldn't be as good or well-rounded. At least it's only a 25 minute walk (both directions) and I didn't run this morning so this would be my exercise. Here's hoping my phone lasts because the freezing cold drains its batteries like crazy.

Kill me.

Haha, no kidding. At least it wasn't windy and there was no snow on the sidewalk so the walk wasn't bad (I like the winter but -28 is a bit much). But I have about 20 emails in my inbox trying to convince me to go out tonight. I'd complain that they aren't being supportive but I've teased one of them for being afraid of carbs so it's payback, I suppose. Lesson learned on my part, that will go in the after action report.

Day 30

Breakfast: boiled egg, turkey sausage and sweet potato, 1/2 an avocado

Lunch: bolognese sauce over cauli-rice and the last couple of turkey sausage pieces, 1/2 an avocado

Dinner: steak, roasted white and sweet potatoes, sauteed mushrooms and grape tomatoes in garlic ghee and a bit of dill

Thoughts

I did it. I have lots of thoughts but they're all swirling around. I celebrated the last dinner in a beautiful way, the steak was fantastic and I'm stuffed. I'll be back over the weekend with my thoughts.

Thanks Shalla (I don't know how to mention on this). I'm rather surprised at myself, hope I can keep it up.

Archived